Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Looking for an argument
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like i've got this new job at this electricity retailer and we have to learn this giant piece of software which we were given minimal training on, even this i find complex. I imagine being a doctor or a lawyer or an architect, i could never succeed in something like that.
I mean who even writes this code that this software runs on, it all seems so ridiculously complex as to be almost like magic, yet i'm struggling to get my head around bills and past payments. The other people i work with are so laid back, its like yeah there's a lot to turn but they take it in their stride.
But for me, i'm always having to ask our go to guy for help, i just feel like i'm too dumb, its all so complex, there's so much i don't understand. I can't help but feel frustrated by it, i feel like i'm useless and inferior to the others.
I can't imagine taking on better jobs because everything in life just seems so complex, and i just feel like i'm not smart enough to handle this stuff. These jobs keep me on, but i have no self confidence, i don't feel i'm good enough to be there.
I don't understand how most people are so relaxed about work, for me its just a never ending source of anxiety.

·
Seriously , never serious
6,456 Posts
Time , in time it won't be that hard
Keep asking questions and eventually as said it won't be that hard .
But I know what you are saying some things people do and create is absolutely amazing .

·
Engaged
532 Posts
Like i've got this new job at this electricity retailer and we have to learn this giant piece of software which we were given minimal training on, even this i find complex. I imagine being a doctor or a lawyer or an architect, i could never succeed in something like that.
I mean who even writes this code that this software runs on, it all seems so ridiculously complex as to be almost like magic, yet i'm struggling to get my head around bills and past payments. The other people i work with are so laid back, its like yeah there's a lot to turn but they take it in their stride.
But for me, i'm always having to ask our go to guy for help, i just feel like i'm too dumb, its all so complex, there's so much i don't understand. I can't help but feel frustrated by it, i feel like i'm useless and inferior to the others.
I can't imagine taking on better jobs because everything in life just seems so complex, and i just feel like i'm not smart enough to handle this stuff. These jobs keep me on, but i have no self confidence, i don't feel i'm good enough to be there.
I don't understand how most people are so relaxed about work, for me its just a never ending source of anxiety.
I relate OP. Pretty much everything in this society is too complex for me these days (it pisses me off), and work (albeit voluntary) is an unending source of anxiety for me too, but I take on board that once you've been there a while you will get more confident. I really feel for you though.

·
Looking for an argument
2,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I relate OP. Pretty much everything in this society is too complex for me these days (it pisses me off), and work (albeit voluntary) is an unending source of anxiety for me too, but I take on board that once you've been there a while you will get more confident. I really feel for you though.
I dunno if i will though, i will a bit of course. But even in my last job which i was at for 3 and a half years when sometimes people would ask me a technical question i'd get all anxious and give them an answer but then have my doubts as to whether it was right. I'm always doubting myself, it doesn't matter what i do, i don't feel i'm smart enough i just never feel like i'm as good as other people and that i'll never amount to anything.
These feeling just never ever go away. :|

·
Song and action man
518 Posts
I dunno if i will though, i will a bit of course. But even in my last job which i was at for 3 and a half years when sometimes people would ask me a technical question i'd get all anxious and give them an answer but then have my doubts as to whether it was right. I'm always doubting myself, it doesn't matter what i do, i don't feel i'm smart enough i just never feel like i'm as good as other people and that i'll never amount to anything.
These feeling just never ever go away. :|
You pretty much described me down to the t. A lot of times at work I stay later without pay because it helps me feel more comfortable the next day and I have a better grasp on things. Feel free to PM me sometime if you want to talk.

·
Indignant
632 Posts
I know how you feel. My last job was phone support to consumers for all our company's products. On my last day I cringed just as much as my first day when confronted with a question I wasn't sure about.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Yeah, and combine complexity with multitasking and its a huge headache. For people without anxiety, they have enough brain power during the day to focus. With anxiety, part of your mental energy is being used being anxious.

What I can't stand is being a new employee and your supervisor gets frustrated with you because you aren't "picking up the pace". Its like dude, its the first week, I need time to get my brain and body to understand this bombardment of information. This has happened at every job I have had and it seriously pisses me off.

Anytime I see a massive list of tasks in a job listing I just discard it. If they expect that much from you just in the listing, just wait til you get the actual job and give you things to do you didn't expect.

·
We all wear a mask.
1,802 Posts
At 22 years of age, I too think that we humans have made life entirely to complex. It starts to seem pointless at times to me due to this fact.

When it comes to jobs though, it is not the complexity that bothers me but rather the conditions under which you are supposed to complete these tasks.

Your superiors at your specific company, no matter if retail,call centers, office jobs, etc; tend to force unrealistic standards on you.

"Complete this task in a short amount of time then move on to another task and complete that quickly and if you don't do it as quickly as I, a fallible person, would like to see, then I decide that you are not a good worker. Oh and hey, I'm going to ask that you come in to work for 8-12 hours a day with minimal time for breaks, 5 days a week, and it will be about a year of these conditions before you earn any benefits."

The work "system" is entirely screwed up. I would be able to handle the complexity if jobs didn't force unrealistic standards and quotas on their lower level employees.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I agree with all of this. I have a very hard time understanding complex tasks, much more so when I'm working around others rather than on my own. I've been using a computer program for three years now, and it still overwhelms me every time I turn it on.

Sometimes it's not even things like programs though. It's the pace at which things move that really gets me. I learned basic web design at school a few months ago, and half of it's already different or updated. My brain, for whatever reason, can't keep up with that.

Then there's social situations that are complex as well. I'm at my internship for six hours a day, four days a week. I was invited to go with my coworkers to hear someone speak on the last day of the week, and I made up an excuse for it because I can't handle so much time around others. I don't get joy out of hearing people in my field talk at events. By the time my week is over, I just want to get out of there and be left alone.

I'd do best at a job that can be completed entirely alone, and one where the rules never changed. Unfortunately, that job, if it once existed, is probably done by a computer now and I won't ever get to experience it.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, and combine complexity with multitasking and its a huge headache. For people without anxiety, they have enough brain power during the day to focus. With anxiety, part of your mental energy is being used being anxious.

What I can't stand is being a new employee and your supervisor gets frustrated with you because you aren't "picking up the pace". Its like dude, its the first week, I need time to get my brain and body to understand this bombardment of information. This has happened at every job I have had and it seriously pisses me off.

Anytime I see a massive list of tasks in a job listing I just discard it. If they expect that much from you just in the listing, just wait til you get the actual job and give you things to do you didn't expect.
This has happened to me as well and it's really frustrating. Plus I tend to make mistakes when I know I'm being watched. The worst was the training for a job I had before... I obviously didn't want to make any mistake, but I was nervous and bombarded with tons of info... and my supervisor was there all the time checking what I was doing, which made me even more nervous, hence more errors... Ugh.

It got better after a few weeks there but it was only a summer job anyway. I'm glad I didn't go back; job was stressful and some customers were very rude/aggressive (and obviously they took it out on me when it was things I had no control over with - typical).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts