Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was it the first thing your doctor suggested? I was very depressed a year ago. I went to therapy. It was the type of therapy where the therapist has you make your own goals and helps you to achieve them. I was completely recovered. Then I get SA and I can't talk to people and have panic attacks at school. I go to the university therapist and the first thing she says after I tell her my condition is "Let me recommend you to the psychiatrist" I talked to him, and got a prescription that day. At that time I was so desperate that I took it and filled it. Now I feel like I have wasted six months (thankfully not longer) of my life. I wasn't the same person. I wasn't even interested in the same things anymore. I was only about what was going to happen next. In most cases I would jump into the bottle. It was amazing because I could do this every night of the week. That doesn't sound right. Especially the fact that I didn't want, or more correctly, couldn't do the things that I have always loved. Now that I am off of it, I get to be myself. I think that is better than being an alcoholic zombie. What do you think?

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think moderate-severe Social Anxiety Disorder should be treated as fast as possible, which means at first taking an SSRI and if possible therapy (eg. CBT). Otherwise people could develop secondary disorders like depression and/or substance abuse which makes the illness harder to treat.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I think some drugs are prescribed too freely, like antipsychotic drugs for people with non-psychotic disorders. These have no place in treating simple mood disorders.

Some drugs aren't prescribed enough, e.g. dopamine agonists for various different applications. I reckon SSRIs wouldn't be so woefully pathetic if they were augmented with dopaminergics as standard, but I suppose it's useful to have a pill to just make us all content to "tread water" in life.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
I think some drugs are prescribed too freely, like antipsychotic drugs for people with non-psychotic disorders. These have no place in treating simple mood disorders.
Fully agree.

·
Banned
115 Posts
I think people that have only had anxiety or depression for just a few months should probably try therapy first.

I think that if you have anything for over a year it is very unlikely to go away on its own or.

For me, I waited 13 years to try meds because I was surrounded by people who were anti-medication for the most part. I had to wait until my anxiety/depression got so bad that my parents basically begged me to take meds.

I think I would be doing much better in life if I hadnt waited so long.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
They certainly have no place in treating anxiety disorders. They may have a place in treating bipolar mania, but I'm not sure if you'd classify that as a "simple" mood disorder.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.