Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I drive myself nearly insane thinking of all of these "what if" scenarios in my head, and a lot of times this deters me from doing the things that I want to do, and going the places that I want to go. How do you stop thinking about the "what ifs" and just live life freely and face the problems IF they come. It's like I know that the problems that I think of are pretty rare, and probably won't happen. But I just keep thinking "what if?!" And I start trying to figure out ways to prepare for it to happen, which just consumes my life and depresses me...

·
Banned
228 Posts
That's like asking how do you get rid of anxiety all together, and if we knew that, then it would be up in flashing lights instead of this forum.

·
Banned
228 Posts
I didn't mean to offend you, it's just what if thoughts are part of anxiety and we don't really have any secrets on how to reduce it. Again I wasn't having a go at you sorry if it came across that way.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Don't be sorry, it's a legitimate question, I think what mosu was trying to say is that it's tied up with being someone who suffers from anxiety.

I think it's pretty common to try to revise every single possible scenario in your head before you do something, in the end growing as a person involves a lot of impulsive decisions and "risk" taking.

·
Banned
2,375 Posts
Instead of thinking about "What if things go wrong?" you can think about "What if things go right?"

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I didn't mean to offend you, it's just what if thoughts are part of anxiety and we don't really have any secrets on how to reduce it. Again I wasn't having a go at you sorry if it came across that way.
I'm sorry I'm always faulting myself for no reason. I didn't mean to make you feel bad. I shouldn't have taken it that way.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't be sorry, it's a legitimate question, I think what mosu was trying to say is that it's tied up with being someone who suffers from anxiety.

I think it's pretty common to try to revise every single possible scenario in your head before you do something, in the end growing as a person involves a lot of impulsive decisions and "risk" taking.
Very true.

·
Nope, still not!
3,273 Posts
Yes and they're what make me more depressed than anything.

·
Registered
21 Posts
what ifs

"what ifs", are one of the many ways people with sa commonly worry about things and situations. we have conditioned ourselves to think in this negative way and it always ends up with us coming up short. "What ifs" are just worries, witch are a fundamental part of our disorder. so because of that there isn't any real easy way to deal with them. believe me when i say that i understand that any advice given to us to help with our anxiety is far easier said then done. however i will say this. you may already know, and like i said, this way of thinking isn't exclusive to yourself, so don't feel you're alone in thinking like this. what I've been taught through cbt is to catch yourself thinking like this, and instead of letting the thoughts just cycle on and on as they usually do. try to notice/realize/understand that the thoughts are not rational thoughts, and they are being brought about by your anxious mind. once you have recognized this wile its going on you can either try to replace these thoughts with more logical/rational thoughts that are unbiased to your naturally anxious mind, or you can try doing something or thinking of something that distracts your mind from those things you'r worrying about. the idea is if you consciously do this enough times(just like you did with your anxious thoughts) eventually you can train your brain to do it automatically/subconsciously. and again like i said this stuff is easier said than done, i am still currently in the process of learning it myself. hope this helps even a little. :)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I do and I wish I didn't. It's easy to think back on past time and think what if this, and feel remorse over it. Typical, negative, thought patterns.

·
Registered
352 Posts
This. I Hate it. Even when certain things aren't our fault(i.e. When people stop talking to you, cut off contact for no reason) I still imagine "What if" I'd been a more exciting, flirty person and stuff like that. -_-

1 - 18 of 18 Posts