Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
959 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just there on Saturday April the 4th. It was amazing. Just wondering if it is as good as advertised? Actually looking at the political science program.

·
Registered
289 Posts
No- because I just cannot survive school with my SA. However, I do live in Toronto and my sister in law goes to York. She loves it- she calls herself a professional student because she keeps going back- 6 years of philosphy, lol. I have never heard her say many bad things about it, other than over Christmas when they went on strike and she now has to go all summer without a break.... :) I hope you enjoy it!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
It's decent but in Toronto a lot of people will undervalue your degree because it's not u of t which is perceived as better. The result is that certain people who care about reputation and ranking will rank your York degree way beneath what it actually is. There are unis that are way easier to get into than York and that have shoddy academics in comparison (I won't name any names publicly...) yet strangely rank above York in reputation (the mclean's survey) because they aren't compared to a bigger, older uni in the same city that already has a good rep. Only the business and law programs are actually respected so if you get into one of those you should go (although going to another comparable law or business school might still be safer). The rest will be undermined by people wondering why you didn't go to u of t. (Personally I think law and business are terrible programs in general though...you're only inviting a lifetime of misery by going into that stuff.)

Hopefully I'm wrong but that's the impression I've gotten. I'm not saying I agree that it's accurate but I think that's what people in Toronto and even elsewhere will do when they hear "York U". You can't fight it. But if you don't care about reputation then yes, York can be a good university for most fields. I heard the poli sci dept is good. Also has a good film program.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts