Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I could get away with it, I would seriously never use it again. First of all, I don't understand this whole .docx business. As a prodigious Google Docs. user, the lack of compatibility between the two causes some problems. Not to mention the problems I have opening Open Office stuff with it.

I really hate the excel too. It's like they buried all the important tools of the program under all the fancy ribbons. Very typical Microsoft, it all looks nice, but the functionality is poor.

Bah!

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Yup, I really don't like the new interface or the file format. Access 2007 is a throrn in my side at work. Is there any reason why Access 2007 works soooooo slow over a WAN link while Office 2003 works at normal speed? Some programmer dropped the ball on that.

Anyways, I'm forced to assist in the upgrade process from 2003 to 2007 at my job. I cringe everytime I install it on someones computer :p

·
Banned
837 Posts
It just happened to be the first Office I've used since 97 version, so I can't really complain. I'm using Word, Excel, Visio, and occasionally PowerPoint and it does pretty much everything I need.

First of all, I don't understand this whole .docx business.
All you have to do is click Save As... and choose Office 97/2000/XP or something like that, so it would save it in a traditional format compatible with previous versions.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I tried it out and went back to 2003. I dislike almost every change made to the program. Even after getting used to using it it is still slower to use as everything seems to take an extra click.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
Miscrosoft rushed to create this edition and i think its mediocre at best.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All you have to do is click Save As... and choose Office 97/2000/XP or something like that, so it would save it in a traditional format compatible with previous versions.
I got that part, but it just seems like a totally unnecessary middle step just to upload something to google docs.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Yeah, I had a trial version of it on the Vista laptop I bought - hated it. Don't know why they had to change the layout of everything in Word so that I spent more time hunting for stuff in the pointless new "tabbed" menu layout than I did on the actual document - and I'm a long-time user of Microsoft Office! I never bothered to buy it - just use OpenOffice now.

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
Agreed. Word is fine... Excel is horrible! I used to be pretty good at Excel, now everything takes forever. Haven't played with Access yet, but if Excel is any indicator, it's probably pretty bad too.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Agreed. Word is fine... Excel is horrible! I used to be pretty good at Excel, now everything takes forever. Haven't played with Access yet, but if Excel is any indicator, it's probably pretty bad too.
This Excel thing has been a huge problem for me. I'm an econ grad student, so I need to do Excel-like things a lot, and I used to be pretty good with it too, but I just find the new version so horrific that I have to use some of the other statistical packages that I'm even worse at and don't like nearly as much.

Stupid Microsoft :mum

·
Banned
1,044 Posts
This Excel thing has been a huge problem for me. I'm an econ grad student, so I need to do Excel-like things a lot, and I used to be pretty good with it too, but I just find the new version so horrific that I have to use some of the other statistical packages that I'm even worse at and don't like nearly as much.

Stupid Microsoft :mum
Luckily, as a math undergrad, I don't have many dealings with Excel. We're all about MATLAB (or general purpose languages) when it comes to implementing numerical methods.

However, my girlfriend is a chemical engineering student, and apparently they use Excel for EVERYTHING. She flat out refuses to upgrade to Office 2007 and the rest of the ChemE department shares similar sentiments. :lol

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I use Office a lot a work, mostly Excel and Access. When my PC was refreshed (lease ran out and they gave me a new one), It had 2007. The only real changes are the are the graphics interface, the new file format and more formatting options. Finding where they hid various things on the new tabs is time consuming and a pain. The only problem I've had as a compatibility issue is if I make a change in Visual basic code it doesn't always work in Access 2003. It took some getting used to but I'm getting better.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have no problems with office 07, out of what is available right now seems the best option, open office is nice and I would like to think it is the best but there is much more you can do in office, the only thing that sucks about office is the price, I seriously don't see how it gets valued so high, but I didn't pay for mine anyways so oh well.

·
Retired Enforcer
19,112 Posts
I hate it!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I think I should add that 07 is the first time I really used a office program, before then I just stuck with the Microsoft Works that came with a pc, since it can do about everything I ever wanted anyways, so I don't have that "omg its so different" feeling.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts