Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im new to this site, and so ive bin looking around and i seem to have come to one conclusion. everybody on here seems to be more intelligent, more articulate, more analytical than most of the public out there. i myself consider the human race to be a very very stupid race, full of sheeps and non entitys.

and so i wonder if (if im correct) the fact that we all seem to be very bright clued up people might slightly be to our downfall?

its easy to pick out a truly stupid person, take for instance the fake tan blonde idiot. there to be found generally making a fool of themselves, saying things incomprehensible, behaving in ways that are usually described as attention grabbing. but the one thing the stupid person has on us, is that they seem to be so much more happy then we do.

is ignorance bliss?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
People with SAD tend to other-think. This might make them a little smarter, but ultimately people who constantly focus on the external world (extraverts) are smarter, because they are constantly stimulated and don't fantasize all the time.
I think we limit our own intelligence by being too internally focused and getting trapped in our own redundant and often false thoughts.

I've met a lot of stupid loud unshy people, and I've met plenty of stupid quiet people.

We do think more than most people, but that doesn't equate to intelligence or even knowledge.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In short, no.

I also think it's just inaccurate to call other people sheep while being in a reflective position. Of course people look like sheep when they are carrying out their day to day routine. That's life. It's social structure. But in ignorance of actually knowing those people, you are being judgemental. I find that most people I talk to are aware that they use systematic behaviour everyday. There is no way of avoiding this. Neurons are wired to imitate and copy. Functionally, it makes for a much more coherent society.

However, there is a degree to which thinking can be encouraged and discouraged, and you could argue that the way the political economy functions atm, it discourages thinking and choosing for yourself. We don't choose what we produce, companies and managers do, based on some fantasy of what we 'want'. That is then forced into our lives through advertising and it becomes so massed that thinking or choosing another world seems discouraged. Making people seem like sheep.

·
Registered
889 Posts
People with SA may be more sensitive and aware of certain things - and there's something to be said for the "outsider" perspective. On the whole though there seems to be the usual range of intelligence on this forum.

And no, ignorance isn't bliss! It may be bliss for the ignorant person, but it can be disastrous for the people around him, especially if that ignorance is accompanied by power, which it so often is...

·
herp derp
2,347 Posts
I think this can relate to the "rate your intelligence" thread - there was a discussion of how exactly one would relate their intelligence. Grade wise, I think SA people tend to do worse than their potential due to low self esteem/confidence (myself included) or high anxiety levels - you might find that alot of people here have dropped out of college but does that make them stupid?

Although saying that, I think I read an article somewhere that school knocks on a couple of IQ points so there may be alot of poeople with more potential however, due to anxiety etc, they have not reached it.

But I do agree with this:
People with SA may be more sensitive and aware of certain things - and there's something to be said for the "outsider" perspective. On the whole though there seems to be the usual range of intelligence on this forum.
I like to think that I am good at "figuring things out" by "Joining up the dots" - I tend to remember really insignificant details and then figure stuff out from it.

·
SAS Member
213 Posts
I agree with Dempsey. :agree
I think that people with SA just over think things. :con We also evaluate every little detail. Which could make it seem like we are more intelligent or even more mature than 'normal' people.

·
Banned
768 Posts
im new to this site, and so ive bin looking around and i seem to have come to one conclusion. everybody on here seems to be more intelligent, more articulate, more analytical than most of the public out there. i myself consider the human race to be a very very stupid race, full of sheeps and non entitys.

and so i wonder if (if im correct) the fact that we all seem to be very bright clued up people might slightly be to our downfall?

its easy to pick out a truly stupid person, take for instance the fake tan blonde idiot. there to be found generally making a fool of themselves, saying things incomprehensible, behaving in ways that are usually described as attention grabbing. but the one thing the stupid person has on us, is that they seem to be so much more happy then we do.

is ignorance bliss?
No, I think you get a mix here. I feel like I'm more analytical than the majority of people I know, yet I don't think I'm as intelligent as a lot of them. I feel fairly slow a lot of times.

But I wouldn't go so far as to say that someone who is extremely extroverted and attention grabbing is stupid. Annoying and obnoxious yes, but not necessarily stupid. If they have mastered the art of socializing, they must be doing 'something' right.

·
sa challenger
5,079 Posts

is ignorance bliss?
They have a higher E.Q., but not necessarily a higher I.Q.

·
Gentle Impulsion
7,792 Posts
it's cause we are too afraid to have fun so instead we sit inside and read books =D haha

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Since I know about the Multiple Intelligence Theory, I don't really judge people on their intelligence the way other people seem to. And to be completely honest, I'm not all that concerned with it. I'm more concerned with their life story, their emotions, how they think, their opinions, what they're interested in, their families...I don't think about their I.Q. I just get to know them.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
Cool, that is also my way of thinking when it comes to intelligence, but I didn't know there was a theory for it.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,174 Posts
I think many of us with SA may in fact be more contemplative as a result of our over thinking at times but that to me doesn't equate to greater intelligence. I find I contemplate many things but in terms of general conversation it's just not particularly easy to throw these things out there or to discuss them often. People don't want to debate/reason on religion & spirituality or space & science(or other such polarizing/touchy topics) all the time & many can't even approach such conversations objectively knowing that at some point you'll like have to agree to disagree on such topics. If this is how you are feeling where you're more intrigued by life's deeper discussions but rarely find outlets for them then perhaps you may feel as though those aren't into these things as much are less intelligent which may not be true

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I am not any smarter than a normal person, in fact it seems most other people seem to know more about stuff than I do.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
it's cause we are too afraid to have fun so instead we sit inside and read books =D haha
Haha, that's what I do. :b

But I think it's a mix, just like people without sa. Some are highly intelligent, but most, I think, are of just normal intelligence.
But, I do think a lot of us over think things, get really good at analyzing, connecting dots, and seeing things other people don't see because they're too busy living life and being social to notice or care.

·
A Living Woman
3,464 Posts
Cool, that is also my way of thinking when it comes to intelligence, but I didn't know there was a theory for it.
Yep! Howard Gardener's theory objected the concept of intelligence being reduced to just a number (I.Q.) and proposed Multiple Intelligences:
Logical-Mathematical Intelligence.
Bodily-Kinesthetic Intelligence.
Interpersonal Intelligence.
Intrapersonal Intelligence.
Verbal-Linguistic Intelligence.
Musical-Rhythmic Intelligence.
Naturalist Intelligence.
Visual-Spatial Intelligence.
:yes

Thinking about it, I guess you could say that a lot of people with SA are more intrapersonally intelligent but that's as far as I would conclude.

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I think there's a lot of truth to this. Think about it, SA sufferers analyze and take apart every social interaction, looking for something to criticize. It takes a lot of intelligence to do that. Stupid people don't care.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts