Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really really hate facebook, I have an account and I have no idea why because I don't really have any friends as contacts, just a few old friends I don't talk to anymore.

It just seems like everybody else my age is having this amazing "skins" lifestyle
They just post constant pictures of all the gigs and parties they go to every other night, and talk about how wasted they were and how great it was, when they make an announcment or post pictures they get like a million replies from all there friends.

I know a lot of it is just show but you can see from peoples pictures that they do have a lot of friends and they do go out and have a blast every other night.

I honestly don't know why I go on there and do it to myself but it makes me suicidal to compare other teenagers lives to mine.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Well I don't like facebook because it's not very user friendly. I deleted my myspace, but it was attactive to look at and decorate. Facebook interface is bland and turns me off :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I really really hate facebook, I have an account and I have no idea why because I don't really have any friends as contacts, just a few old friends I don't talk to anymore.

It just seems like everybody else my age is having this amazing "skins" lifestyle
They just post constant pictures of all the gigs and parties they go to every other night, and talk about how wasted they were and how great it was, when they make an announcment or post pictures they get like a million replies from all there friends.

I know a lot of it is just show but you can see from peoples pictures that they do have a lot of friends and they do go out and have a blast every other night.

I honestly don't know why I go on there and do it to myself but it makes me suicidal to compare other teenagers lives to mine.
Yes me too. I actually avoided facebook for a while but then one of my school friends persuaded me to sign up, and once I did, the friends list just kept growing. I think at the end of the day, all you need is a little nudge.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
There have been lots of threads about facebook lately... I've never been on that site, ever. I avoid all social networking sites. (I do have a livejournal, but that's mostly for my writing.)

·
On Standby...
76 Posts
I never joined because i just knew it would be a mistake. My friends have pestered me to join but i never saw the point. I asked them why and they just said to keep in touch, but there are private ways of staying in touch where i can make sure i only talk to those i want to talk to.

They didn t have anymore reasons so i never joined. It seems so pointless. I don t need to flaunt my social life in front of anyone else and i don t want to see anyone elses. I knew it would be a mistake because i d end up comparing and competing so i decided against all the stress and just left it alone.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I never joined because i just knew it would be a mistake. My friends have pestered me to join but i never saw the point. I asked them why and they just said to keep in touch, but there are private ways of staying in touch where i can make sure i only talk to those i want to talk to.

They didn t have anymore reasons so i never joined. It seems so pointless. I don t need to flaunt my social life in front of anyone else and i don t want to see anyone elses. I knew it would be a mistake because i d end up comparing and competing so i decided against all the stress and just left it alone.
Im actually seriously thinking of deleting my account because it does just make me very unhappy, the only thing is I do use it to keep in touch with some family
members but thats only sometimes

·
On Standby...
76 Posts
Im actually seriously thinking of deleting my account because it does just make me very unhappy, the only thing is I do use it to keep in touch with some family
members but thats only sometimes
Can t you just use instant messaging and phones to keep in touch with the people you want to?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do but sometimes its easier and cheaper if you want to give them a really long message or show them a picture or something to just do it over the net, especially the people who are on there constantly

·
Registered
544 Posts
I hate it too but I use it to occasoinally contact the one friend I made at uni.

I have one real life friend and before I started my temporary job in the same office as her, most of our contact was through facebook which I kind of resented considering she only lives across town. I am a bit addicted to looking at my 'friends'' recent activity. I have hardly any 'friends' compared to most people and most of them only added me because I used to be in their class or something.

It really hurts to look at all the pictures and statements of them all having fun. I'm glad other people have fun because I don't but I can't stop looking at the pictures and feeling so so alone and depressed. It's worst when looking at my real life friend's profile. She has not one picture of me with her yet there's many pictures of her with other people. I'm supposed to be her bridesmaid but it seems I might as well not exist. Maybe she's ashamed of me or something.

Arghh I've gotten really depressed now. I have been tempted to delete my facebook but I'm addicted :(

·
SAS Member
939 Posts
I think a lot of people here already know how I feel about Facebook, because I've mentioned my distaste for the site in multiple threads...
Bottom line: It depresses me to see just about everyone living these busy lives while I have nothing to share. Another reason is the folks who begged me to join in the first place, only to ignore me in the end.

·
Registered
728 Posts
First, and the last time i used it, i looked up old class mates, couldn't find them, and all the people that did come from my school looked all grown up with families and frankly they look like fully mature people, while i am still, at least in my mind a kid, very immature. i don't think i could relate to them now.

·
On Standby...
76 Posts
I will never join facebook, because i just know looking at all the pics will depress me and make me feel like i m wasting my youth. It s like listening to people from school recount all the fun they had on the weekend, when u just know there s no way it was as fun as they re trying to convince you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Its like the ultimate in a popularity contest. The whole site seems to be about people trying to get laid or prove how popular they are. I truly wish there was a site somewhere where people could make genuine friendships and nothing more.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Yeah i'm starting college soon and i feel like i'll have to start up a facebook account or else i'll seem weird. The thing is i'm quite private at the moment and i'd rather people i know not looking me up. I have an uncommon surname so they'd easily find me on google. How private can you make your account? :|

I wouldn't want to start up an account and people see that i don't have any friends. I feel like i'd have to make friends with a bunch of random people i don't know just to seem normal. Can you block 'friends' from seeing your friends list if that makes sense?

·
Registered
73 Posts
To be honest i love facebook. It makes me feel like i have more of a life than i actually do.
I agree - On Facebook, I can pretend to be normal; ask how people are, make funny comments and look at photos. Sure, it can make me feel a little bit 'wobbly' seeing how many 'friends' people have (the majority of mine are not even friends, just ex-work acquanitances who have never and will never contact me), and seeing them all interact with each other, and go on about nights out etc, but it helps me to stay 'visible' without having to pick up a damn telephone!

I try to log on as much as possible and leave the odd post on someones wall. To be honest, I do most of the work, but by posting, it means I usually get something back (probably out of courtesy!)

·
Live.Laugh.Love.
1,243 Posts
I completely understand what you are saying. When I look at my old classmates pictures it makes me very sad that I do not have pictures to put up it almost makes me feel like I have less of a life than I have now. I think that in some ways it is good to keep in touch with those you would otherwise forget but I understand and have almost deleted my account because of it.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts