Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Kind of a freak
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will never have a drinking problem as the taste of alcohol - be it wine, beer, or vodka - I can't stand it. I've tried. I really did. I have tried probably 6 varieties of beer, not many but I hated them all and two (Red Stripe, and Sands, a beer from the Bahamas) made me sick to my stomach immediately. Wine I would try to drink socially with my family but I would always hate it and tried to gulp it down without tasting it.

Today, I tried to enjoy alcohol again. A mudslide - This one made with vanilla ice cream, chocolate syrup and vodka. I couldn't finish it. All I could taste was the vodka and I still have the aftertaste in my mouth. Worst $13 I've ever spent. I can enjoy a Pina Colada or Strawberry Daquiri if it is VERY light on the alcohol, and I'm OK with a Mike's hard lemonade or a Seagram's escapes. But even something like a Bud Lite Straw-Ber-ita is inedible to me.

I have only been drunk twice in my life and it was me FORCING myself to drink beer/wine despite hating it just to get drunk because I was depressed. Both times, I puked several hours later.

So, does anyone else HATE beer, wine or vodka? I feel like I am some sort of freak. I don't even see how somebody can enjoy the taste. This and some cheeses (Swiss, feta, American) and some fruits (Cranberry, Grapefruit) are COMPLETELY INEDIBLE to me and I feel like my taste buds are messed up or something. But maybe I am not alone in this? Anyone??

·
permanently barnacled
4,801 Posts
All alcoholic beverages activate my gag reflex.... But ya, I think i'm in the majority when I say-> I don't drink for taste, i drink to get intoxicated. I almost always use a chaser.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,235 Posts
No I don't hate it, I wouldn't drink beer really, not a huge fan.

I like the taste of the drinks I tend to drink, or did, when I drank alcohol. It's been a while.

·
In the middle of nowhere
1,079 Posts
I'm the opposite... Though I almost never drink the stuff due to thinking that drinking while alone is pretty sad.

·
Banned
10,878 Posts
No . Think of it as a Blessing .

All you need to do is hate cigarettes .. .. junk food .... illegal drugs .. being lazy ..... and you're winning at Life .

·
God, Family, Homeland
569 Posts
I like good beers, wines, and vodkas. I REALLY like rum and whiskey. I drink it for the taste, not necessarily for the alcohol.

For good beers, you have to buy something other than the cheap lagers. Start with Sam Adams and work your way up. I used to think I hated beer too until I tried the good ones.

·
Registered
---------------------------- ▓▓▓▓Groovy▓▓▓▓
7,558 Posts
There is no shame in that, and you are not a freak.

·
today's a beautiful day
2,217 Posts
I will never have a drinking problem as the taste of alcohol - be it wine, beer, or vodka - I can't stand it. But maybe I am not alone in this? Anyone??
Hi 5 man!

No.. you're not alone... I don't like the taste of alcohol, but then I'm biased here. My old man was/still is alcoholic.
In whole my life up till now, even if I add all the rum cakes and rum filled chocolate bars together, I dont think I've had a single glass of alcohol drink yet..

·
Registered
2,294 Posts

·
Not dead yet
4,801 Posts
I like wine. I like fruit-flavored beer. I hate vodka, whiskey, and normal beer. They taste like crap! And I refuse the idea of mixing drinks. I'm a fan of purity, you can say...:b

Never got drunk, though. I drink small amounts... it's enough for me. It's all about the taste, not the alcohol in it. Couldn't care less about that.

·
Moron
4,621 Posts
Wine & spirits make me gag. I do like the taste of certain ales & lagers, but I don't drink them very often because it might become a problem.

Last time I had a beer was three years ago.

·
Banned
16,644 Posts
The taste doesn't bother me at all. The feeling does though. It's the complete opposite of a social lubricant to me. It makes me space out and feel very awkward around people. It also instantaneously makes me tired. The feeling is not enjoyable at all. My face also gets red if I'm drunk.

I'll just stick to packing a bowl to relax. That actually does work.

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
Its an old saying:- I don't drink because i like the taste, i drink to get drunk...

Guess with time the brain learns that Alcohol= feel good/Reward system. So it taste a bit better.
A warm summer day, i feel more for a cold Coke then a cold beer.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I've never actually been drunk. I've drank alcohol, but never had more than 2 bottles of beer or alcopops when I drink, which is rare. That isn't enough to make me drunk. What does it actually feel like?

·
Down the rabbit hole
4,499 Posts
U get at 1st stage calm, but energized, and u feel good... Jokes are funnier comedy movies are funnier. You get more social.

·
uggla
10,065 Posts
Alcohol is something that most people get used to, like coffee.

I don't hate alcohol. I only drink socially.

But... I hate the sweet, gross smell of alcohol coming out of a drunk person's mouth(no matter how much they've had). I can smell it from three miles away. I can't stand alcoholics and addict-behavior.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts