Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a little better at it now but this is me. If something good happens for instance like a good therapy session or a complament etc, than I feel like something bad will follow shortly later. It makes it almost impossible to look to the future when I think this way. I have improved some though through therapy.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
Yep this always happens to me just when something positive happens to get me in a good mood I already know something awful will happen soon and piss me off since that how the pattern seems to be going. It sucks.

·
Banned
877 Posts
I always feel like this. I just try my best take the future as it comes and don't predict anything, since my nerves will go bizarre because of my vivid imagination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't really have that problem. For me I have my good days and my bad days. However, any progress I might make on a good day seems to fade as I go back to my SA habits the next day.

Its not the fact that something negative will happen later- its the fact that nothing will happen and things will always remains the same - this is what scares me. I don't want to be in the endless cycle of one-step-forward one-step-back for the rest of my life.

It seems like at this rate I'll overcome my SA when I'm 75 or something. I would rather have negative stuff happening to me every day because I'm "out there" doing things I want to do, then always staying in my "comfort zone" and wondering what the outside world is like.

I'm working on it... its hard but I'm working on it.

·
Registered
811 Posts
This is something called the Gambler's Fallacy. It is "committed when a person assumes that a departure from what occurs on average or in the long term will be corrected in the short term. The form of the fallacy is as follows:

1. X has happened.
2. X departs from what is expected to occur on average or over the long term.
3. Therefore, X will come to an end soon."

Example:

"Jane and Bill are talking:

Jane: "I'll be able to buy that car I always wanted soon."
Bill: "Why, did you get a raise?"
Jane: "No. But you know how I've been playing the lottery all these years?"
Bill: "Yes, you buy a ticket for every drawing, without fail."
Jane: "And I've lost every time."
Bill: "So why do you think you will win this time?"
Jane: "Well, after all those losses I'm due for a win.""

·
Registered
154,228 Posts
This is part of SA - waiting for the next disaster to strike, part of the negative thinking and self-esteem. :(

·
Registered
119 Posts
I don't feel like something bad will happen but if I am really excited or happy about something, I get sad shortly after for no reason. It's like I can't let myself feel happy for too long :blank

·
Existence is purpose
643 Posts
I just feel that whenever something good happens or I'm feeling what I suppose is "happy" that it's all bound to come crashing down and turn to sh#t, or that it was never truly real in the first place.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
I tend to think the other way. when something bad happens I think that something good will follow. Even if I have 3 or 4 bad things in a row then I just think my luck will change soon enough. Then I just enjoy the good times while they happen.

·
New Character
62 Posts
Hmm...I think this feeling is limited to close relationships/friendships for me. Anything that involves having to depend on someone to do something or anyone else being involved in general in a casual-not-professional way. Everything else usually goes the way I would expect it to.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sometimes when something good happens and I feel happy about it, I often remind myself not to rejoice too much because if something bad happens after, then the harder I will crash or my sadness will be more intense. So to "protect" myself, I remind myself not to celebrate too much. Sounds illogical to "normal" people but that's how I really feel.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
:lol Yes! I often feel as though I'm fated for crap to happen to me!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.