Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went last thursday, saw a nurse and she basically just gave me two websites despite me actually crying.. which was big for me.. i really can't go on like this anymore so i'm going back tomorrow to see a doctor, what do i do? i can't seem to explain properly can anyone suggest what exactly i say? there seems to be so much to actually explain in terms of feelings..

i just need medication and i'm scared i'll get turned away again with nothing.

·
Fall 7 times, stand up 8.
8,916 Posts
Tell the doctor specifically how you feel emotionally (and possibly physically) when in social situations. You start worrying people are judging you, you feel panic rise within you, your heart races, you tremble, cheeks blush, etc?? Be sure to emphasize that it's severe enough to really interfere with your life and you want help for it.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks laura, that's what i did last time so i'm glad i know i wasn't saying it wrong. i actually tried to rehearse it but i shouldn't, she gave me tissues straight away which made me more anxious lol.

meh, i hope i get them.

·
8,916 Posts
I'm sure you said it fine, it's just that not everyone in health care is as understanding as they should be at times. I just told my doctor how I felt. I actually rehearsed it because I had so much I wanted to say lol. He had had other patients with social anxiety so he was familiar with it.
But yeah, just be persistent that it's a real problem. If the doctor is stubborn for some reason, maybe consider seeing someone else.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You need to see a psychiatrist about psychiatric issues, not a nurse or GP.
a lot of people have been to see their gp, it's either that or wait months on the waiting list and at this point in my life i'm not willing to wait.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
GPs can give you a handful of SSRIs, but past that they tend to have very little experience or knowledge for anxiety disorders. I suppose it's worth seeing a GP in the mean time while you're on the waiting list.

For me, it only took 1-2 weeks to see a psych, and that's on NHS. Maybe it's 'cause I was under 18 though...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
GPs can give you a handful of SSRIs, but past that they tend to have very little experience or knowledge for anxiety disorders. The "one drug fits all" approach isn't particularly effective.

For me, it only took 1-2 weeks to see a psych, and that's on NHS. Maybe it's 'cause I was under 18 though...
damn me just turning 18.. anyway, that's all i'm looking for at the moment, i can't function anymore and need to try something. i'm still going to see a psychiatrist and try and get cbt, but for the time being i'm just after a random SSRI :blank

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Write down what you want to say in advance. It should help you get clear in your head what you want to say. You may be able to tell your doctor what you want, and if you can't, give him the bit of paper with what you wrote. Be considerate - write clearly or type your final draft.

·
Registered
106 Posts
You need to see a psychiatrist about psychiatric issues, not a nurse or GP.
I go to my regular doctor, who's a general/family/primary care physician. Not a psychiatrist. It can be done. It depends on the doctor and their comfort level with treating these things. If my doctor tried to pass me off, I'd protest quite strongly because I LIKE my doctor and don't want to have to talk to someone new.

To the OP: Just be honest about how you're feeling. If the doctor has half a brain, s/he'll figure out what's wrong with you without you saying "I have social anxiety" and will ask questions to get what s/he needs to make a diagnosis and figure out a treatment plan.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't look at a doctor as having control over it. Part of their job is the patient is supposed to be heard, and when you're spending your time and paying them insurance money and (for many with anxiety problems) putting up with the trauma of going to see them, you've got a few options:

If they're not listening to you, don't be politely agreeing just to be nice, or if they just say "well here's what I'm going to have you do" and it's not what you asked for, then again don't just say nothing. It might be hard but that's a pivotal moment of dealing with the system if you have SA... don't be rolled over at that point.

The other option is, once again maybe a pain in the *** if you have anxiety problems, but go through the whole thing over again with a different doctor. Some of them are just no good for anything, and the old phrase "getting a second opinion" is really important in dealing with medicine.

Also if you can see a psych without a need for referal (i can't do that under my current insurance but maybe that's not common i don't know) might as well just set up an appointment there instead of even deal with a GP. Just remember medication isn't everything, social skills still need to be cultivated, diet might need to be changed, and so on... good luck on your road to treatment.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys, i was a little annoyed as soon as i walked in within two minutes he said 'we can give you something', and the woman i saw last week completely turned me away. meh, atleast i got what i wanted. he gave me citalopram.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i'm worried though, i've read a lot of people are on like 50mg.. i'm only on 10, and 20mg is apparently a small dose? urgh, i just hope it does something. i'm going back in 4 weeks so i suppose i can go up if it doesn't.

·
8,916 Posts
Yeah, my doctor said he was starting me off on a small dose and it was 20mg. I think starting off on 10mg is good though so you can gradually increase and minimize side effects. Hopefully with time the medicine works. If not, you could get a dosage increase or be prescribed a new pill.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
kinda glad i'm on 10mg anyway, i don't know if it's my mind but i'm feeling kind of weak, and i've only had one haha. maybe it's a placebo effect after reading those side effects, eek.

·
8,916 Posts
Were you told to take it the morning? It makes me tired all day.
lol I was happier after taking the pill for the first time. Then I realized it was probably a placebo effect.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts