Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh dear, shortly after 7PM (British Time) today, I for the first time go to see a GP about my SA.

I am utterly terrified about this, I have no experience talking to anyone about my anxiety problems, nevermind in the pressured environment of a GP's office. What if he doesn't listen? What if he just says "oh, everyone has worries sometimes" and totally dismisses me? What if I can't explain things properly because of anxiety...what if I can't even talk?

I am supposed to be moving out (albeit not very far away) to go to university at the start of September...I need this appointment to go well, but I can't see how it can do. Things are almost made worse by the fact that it is a doctor I have seen several times before, so it is harder to mentally "dehumanise" him, I can't help seeing him as a person rather than a medical proffesional. And maybe because he has seen me before and I perhaps have concealed my anxiety from him in the past he will just think I am being a hypochondriac. Or maybe all of these thoughts are just paranoid delusions induced by SA? I have no idea. I hope to gain mild catharsis is writing this thread, I apologise for wasting your collective time.

·
Banned
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've basically told you to approach it all as negatively as possible. See how that works out for you!
Cheers, I will! :D

In many ways such advice is far more reasuring than the usual naive positivity one is often met with -hey, if I assume it will be the worst day of my life so far, I can only be pleasantly surpised...or at the very least enjoy the grim satisfaction of making a correct prediction, so it's win-win really :roll

1 - 2 of 2 Posts