Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeing a doctor on Thursday to ask for medication for SA. I've tried SSRI's - I took 40mg of Citalopram for a year and a half, which seemed to help at first but then just made me feel tired, numb and dull.

I tried CBT for a while and had about 10 sessions, after which my therapist basically dumped me because I wasn't getting anywhere! I've been medication and therapy free for about 6 months and have read here about some of the medication that people find helpful.

It seems like Nardil and Klonopin are very effective and I would like to request one of these but I'm not sure how to ask for it, or how likely my GP will be to prescribe me one. I've done my research and feel that one of these could definitely help. Any advice would be really great!

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
I'm seeing a doctor on Thursday to ask for medication for SA. I've tried SSRI's - I took 40mg of Citalopram for a year and a half, which seemed to help at first but then just made me feel tired, numb and dull.

I tried CBT for a while and had about 10 sessions, after which my therapist basically dumped me because I wasn't getting anywhere! I've been medication and therapy free for about 6 months and have read here about some of the medication that people find helpful.

It seems like Nardil and Klonopin are very effective and I would like to request one of these but I'm not sure how to ask for it, or how likely my GP will be to prescribe me one. I've done my research and feel that one of these could definitely help. Any advice would be really great!
I am on emsam(which is a maoi patch), and I am also on klonopin. The combo is very helpful for depression, sad, gad,and ocd. Its not pefect by any means but it is alot better than without it. The problem is alot of regular doctors are too afraid to prescribe maois because they are too weary of the overblown risks( you do need to really watch what meds and food you combine with them!). And they dont want to prescribe benzos because of the potential for abuse and they think people will sell them on the street. I know that some people do. It is best to try and somehow get into a psychatrist and explain your situation. If you dont work or make little money go to your local Job and Family and explain your situation and they may be able to help you get into a psychatrist. Hope that helps.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
how likely my GP will be to prescribe me one.
You indicate that you're in the UK, so the odds of you getting Klonopin or any other benzo (other than in a dinky amount for two weeks) is about as likely as you being knighted by the queen. So unless your name starts with the prefix 'Sir' and you have a load of money to hire a private doctor you can kiss that dream goodbye.

There are only an estimate 80,000 Nardil users in the entire world. You can do the math and see it's not at all common. I once had a GP who wanted to make me his first Nardil patient. At that point he'd been in practice for I think 13 years and I asked him if he'd ever prescribed an MAOI before. His answer was NO, which is pretty much the same as virtually every other GP around. Even psychiatrists don't have a whole lot of MAOI patients.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,489 Posts
I'm on Citalopram now, just started it & it makes me tired all the time, I think I'll have to switch again.

If you've tried a few things then mentioning that to your GP before asking about the meds you want should help. Simply say you know someone who has tried them(the meds you want) with good results

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
Private is definitely the way to go if you're after controlled drugs. Not that it's impossible to get them on NHS; it's just private psychiatrists have a tendency towards profit.

What The Happy Do Not Contemplate
Impressive work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
You indicate that you're in the UK, so the odds of you getting Klonopin or any other benzo (other than in a dinky amount for two weeks) is about as likely as you being knighted by the queen. So unless your name starts with the prefix 'Sir' and you have a load of money to hire a private doctor you can kiss that dream goodbye.

There are only an estimate 80,000 Nardil users in the entire world. You can do the math and see it's not at all common. I once had a GP who wanted to make me his first Nardil patient. At that point he'd been in practice for I think 13 years and I asked him if he'd ever prescribed an MAOI before. His answer was NO, which is pretty much the same as virtually every other GP around. Even psychiatrists don't have a whole lot of MAOI patients.
Don't say that. Its having a negative attitude like that saying "kiss that dream goodbye" that stuff doesnt happen. People said that on the internet about another med and I got it.

I'm also libertarian, but that doesn't mean its impossible for him to get a benzodiazepine. If there's a will, there's a way.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Don't say that. Its having a negative attitude like that saying "kiss that dream goodbye" that stuff doesnt happen. People said that on the internet about another med and I got it.
We're talking about the UK here. The most anti-benzo place on earth. Home of Prof. C. Heather Ashton, the ultimate queen of benzo bashing, who blames every problem under the sun upon benzos. I certainly don't agree with how the UK's NHS handles benzos, but that's how it is. Anxiety patients in the UK should rise up in revolt. Write their dim bulb elected officials and tell them how much this hurts anxiety patients. Write editorials to every newspaper in the land about the harm this does. Make a noise! Maybe somebody in the UK might actually listen.

I'm also libertarian, but that doesn't mean its impossible for him to get a benzodiazepine. If there's a will, there's a way.
If there is a third world pharmacy and it passes UK customs there is a way -- no, that's not a suggestion to break any applicable laws. We have lots of UK members here. Have any of you UK members been able to obtains benzo prescriptions that lasted for more than a short duration?

I take 10 mg of Xanax daily and have been prescribed that dose for years. There is no way this would happen in the UK (not that this is common even in the US).

And, BTW, it's very nice to meet another libertarian such as yourself.

·
Registered
90 Posts
We're talking about the UK here. The most anti-benzo place on earth. Home of Prof. C. Heather Ashton, the ultimate queen of benzo bashing, who blames every problem under the sun upon benzos. I certainly don't agree with how the UK's NHS handles benzos, but that's how it is. Anxiety patients in the UK should rise up in revolt. Write their dim bulb elected officials and tell them how much this hurts anxiety patients. Write editorials to every newspaper in the land about the harm this does. Make a noise! Maybe somebody in the UK might actually listen.

If there is a third world pharmacy and it passes UK customs there is a way -- no, that's not a suggestion to break any applicable laws. We have lots of UK members here. Have any of you UK members been able to obtains benzo prescriptions that lasted for more than a short duration?

I take 10 mg of Xanax daily and have been prescribed that dose for years. There is no way this would happen in the UK (not that this is common even in the US).

And, BTW, it's very nice to meet another libertarian such as yourself.
Does the 10mg Xanax help your anxiety(yes, obviously...but anymore than 1mg when you adjusted to that)? I wonder this, because I dont know whether increasing my dose would just feel like the same amount once the body adjusts.

BTW, Im not one of the bitter libertarian types who thinks the world is lost etc. There is still hope

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
If you have been through therapy and several medications then tell your Pdoc you consider yourself "treatment-resistent" and should have the right to get the adequate drugs. Telling a friend takes the same and it helps him very much is useful too. ;)

who blames every problem under the sun upon benzos.
By the way is it true that the global warming is caused by benzos?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Does the 10mg Xanax help your anxiety(yes, obviously...but anymore than 1mg when you adjusted to that)? I wonder this, because I dont know whether increasing my dose would just feel like the same amount once the body adjusts.
You're not the first to make this common, yet false assumption.

Benzos have NEVER had much impact on me. I ended up on 10 mg of Xanax because lower benzos doeses failed to get the job done. 10 mg of Xanax also fails to get the job done.

It's not as if 1 mg did great for a while then I needed 2 to get the same effect and then 4 to get the same impact and kept needing more & more. It was nothing like that.

It doesn't seem to be much of an issue of tolerance since I can remember when I first tried benzos and how totally anti-climactic the experience was. In August 2000 I tried Valium -- my first benzo ever -- and I expected results. Valium is a drug of legends, yet it felt like nothing after I took my first dose of it.

I've never experience the total sense of calm that some report from vastly lower doses. I didn't experience that many years ago and I don't experience that today.

BTW, Im not one of the bitter libertarian types who thinks the world is lost etc. There is still hope
This isn't the place to discuss this in detail, but I've seen too much to share your optimism. Though I hope I'm wrong.

·
Registered
794 Posts
HEALTH IMPLICATIONS: When used within a supervised medical regime, benzodiazepines should not be used for extensive periods as tolerance develops rapidly and withdrawal can be an unpleasant and, in some cases, dangerous process. After a few weeks, and certainly within a few months, they cease to be effective at promoting sleep and subsequently cease to be effective in reducing anxiety. Indeed, the converse becomes true; without increasing the dose, a user is liable to experience insomnia, anxiety, tremors and, in severe cases convulsions.

Current prescribing practice is to prescribe at the lowest doses possible for the shortest period possible, and discouraging long-term prescribing. People who have been on long-term prescriptions should be having their prescriptions reviewed and, where feasible, reduced.

Withdrawal from Benzodiazepines, especially when they have been used for more than a month, should only be done under medical supervision. IT IS POSSIBLE TO DIE DUE TO SEVERE BENZODIAZEPINE WITHDRAWAL.
There's a very good reason they're limited here, and I thank God for it.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for all the advice. I had no idea benzos could be so dangerous, I'd only heard good things about how helpful they can be for SA. And I had no idea it would be so hard to get these in the UK.

Thanks for the suggestion, jfk. Are there any other alternatives to benzos which I have a decent chance of getting? I really don't want to go back to SSRIs, and CBT was not helpful to me, so now I think some strong-ish meds are my best chance.

·
Banned
4,722 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'm on Citalopram now, just started it & it makes me tired all the time, I think I'll have to switch again.
The tiredness wears off after a while. I hope I didn't discourage you with what I said about Citalopram, I just didn't find it helped me personally.

·
Registered
228 Posts
My psychiatrist was open to trying nardil or about anything on my first visit, but like its been mentioned above ive heard its hard to get a benzo in the uk.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,489 Posts
The tiredness wears off after a while. I hope I didn't discourage you with what I said about Citalopram, I just didn't find it helped me personally.
No worries, you haven't discouraged me, I was just noting that I had a similar effect happen. I'm going to try taking it at night instead of when I arise & see how it goes. I'm still new to meds so I'm not concerned about asking to switch again, many here seem to have taken a bit of time to find the right med(s)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts