Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my previous job, they used to sometimes ask me, and I'd always be very short with them and just say I was single, without offering further explanation. I think most took the hint that I didn't really want to talk about it.

But the thing was, I worked there for nearly 5 years, and to be in my mid 30's and go that long without ever talking about dating, I'm sure most people were probably wondering what the heck was going on with me.

I'm now 41 and been in at my current job for 2.5 years. One of my co-workers here is also from my previous job. She must have told my current co-workers about my situation, because I noticed that they sometimes ask each other about their spouses, etc, but they've never asked me a single question about dating. I'm relieved they don't ask me.

The older I get, the more awkward this situation becomes.

·
Registered
4,736 Posts
People don’t ask too much where I’m working now. They may ask follow up questions about things we have mentioned, but they don’t dig for info that doesn’t come naturally. I have one co-worker that does, but he’s new, and awfully young.

It could be that the environment itself is more respectful of other peoples private lives.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I was at my last job for 15 years (still there, but with a different company). No one really asked me, if I am asked I'd just say something like I've been single for a while, and I like living on my own.

·
Super Moderator
10,005 Posts
Very rarely, since I am never really in any social cliques at work. So I seldom talk about myself nor am I asked about it. Which I'm happy about and hope it stays that way. I think I probably fall under the "we dunno about this coworker's personal life, and we don't care to since we imagine it isn't going to be anything exciting nor interesting." Although amongst the ones within their work cliques, I do often notice gossips and chatting about their personal lives, love lives and dating lives or family lives amongst themselves.

I've had 2 coworkers asked me about it in the past and both of them were like much older ladies. Likely trying to fix me up with people they know.😖

·
Registered
33 Posts
Here in my country is the other way around, coworkers do tend to ask a bunch of personal questions specially relationships. It is really uncomfortable for me to answer since I haven’t had a relationship in my life, so I try to avoid the question or just say something vague. I also feel uncomfortable when my coworkers start talking about their relationship and sometimes it becomes intimate. People here are very judgmental.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I rarely got asked this as well but whenever I was, I'd tell them I was single but somehow they'd think I had this very exciting life outside of the office - dating, parties, travel, social life. I don't know what I did to make them think that to be honest. One theory is that because I'm quiet, but I know a lot of people (from having worked with them or been to school/university with them), they assume I'm a social butterfly. What they don't know is that I only say hi to those people, nothing beyond that and that I have zero social life, spend my weekends at home, scared to leave the house and I know I will never ever be in a relationship - being in love, falling in love, being intimate is sadly. not in the books for me.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
22,246 Posts
It’s come up a few times. I just said I don’t have the money to date nor do I have the patience or skills for the stupid games people play to date. I prefer upfront honesty so we both know where we stand, not tricking someone into liking a facade only to meet the real person down the line. I’ve also mentioned the fling I had with my neighbour when she lived next door but generally I don’t bring it up & they don’t. That said, most are married and/or older than me so who’s dating who doesn’t matter to them much

·
Super Moderator
38,312 Posts
When I used to work, no. I don't think it ever came up.
I think maybe the reason it never did is because of where I live. People in this area aren't really super nosy. People mind their own business unless they have a good reason not to. It's the kind of place where if you say hi to someone they just give you a weird look.

You don't have to make excuses for being solitary. That's another thing. I guess I kind of wore that on my sleeve. I tend to be quiet most of the time but if someone tries to give me crap about something (like if they think my hat is goofy looking or something) I just laugh with them and say "Yep. And it's my hat and my head so why do you care?" But again, fortunately, I don't really think the relationship thing ever came up. Or if it did, I just ignored it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts