Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was thinking about this...if i have a presentation due, or a birthday party i have to go to in the future, i'll get worried about it waaaaaaaay before it's even close to happening..

i'll worry in march about a potentially stressful event in june...
it's bad enough that tiny things bother me at all, but i hate the fact that i stress out about them weeks in advance.

i remember when i was like 11, i had this poetry recital thing that i knew i had to do in the summer...the new year had JUST begun and i was already losing sleep over it..

another thing is this pre-event worrying only increases the nervousness and allows it to build up so that when the event finally does come, i go nuts.

grrrrrrrrrrr

·
Registered
110 Posts
Yeah I worry about things WAY in advance! It's totally stupid, a complete waste of time, but I can't stop myself. Usually the only time I stop worrying about the far-off stuff is if something more immediate occupies my mind. It's like a queue of worries - even if the next year is worry-free, I'll worry about long-term stuff like my parents dying or a wedding I might need to attend in the next few years. Stupid, stupid stuff.

·
Ex SA Suffer-er lol :)
124 Posts
Yup I worry bout my next day at school or future events that I have to socialize. Man if could only get over the fear of being judged id be fine but NO!! Yeah i envy social people sometimes. But once I convince myself to go and its over I realize there was nothing to be worried about. Unless something goes wrong which will put me back to my negative cycle all over again.:|

·
blessed with lucky sevens
840 Posts
Yeah, it sucks.
It happens all the time.
Sometimes I keep stressing about something that it makes me want to go do it straight away to get it over with cause otherwise it's just going to make me crazy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I can most definitely relate!

It happens with school assignments all the time, especially big papers. The worst, of course, are presentations. I worry about those the whole semester.

Upcoming social events stress me out too. My best friend's wedding is coming up in May, and a part of me is looking forward to it, but I'm also really nervous just thinking about it.

The school assignments I can at least prepare for. I don't know what to do about the everyday life stuff.

·
Registered
4,788 Posts
I worry about stuff thats far away the worst for me is appointments. I pace around getting all anxious before them I worry that ill be late or something who knows what my anxiety thinks.Half the time i dont even know what I'm worried about, it always turns out better than i imagine Im just so paranoid I guess. I can totally relate.

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
Yes, I experience big time anticipatory anxiety. Everything from big birthday parties and weddings all the way down to family dinners. Thoughts about them just CONSUME ME.

I'm supposed to be Best Man for my father's wedding in May. I've dealt with tremendous anxiety over that since last April when they announced it.

This sort of stuff is the reason I don't have my head on straight. It's too busy spinning about upcoming events (regardless of how small they may be).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.