Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
USC GAMECOCK
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious how many others out there work a job where their is a level of social anxiety is around. I work for Costco a major retailer and I have to dose on klnopin everyday just to walk in the door and work around several people. Is it worth it? I know I have to have a job but just curious to what else I can do.

·
Banned
118 Posts
Yeah, huge level at my job (veterinary clinic). Going up front and doing reception for the first time felt like someone might as well have asked me to do stand up comedy for 1000 people. My boss could clearly see my nerves but she obviously thought it was because I'm a newbie student. She said pretend like you know what you're doing even if you have no clue, take a moment if you feel overwhelmed, and assume everyone is friendly and kind when they walk in the door.

·
HaloOfDarkness
608 Posts
No, not really, it just depends on what kind of day it is. I get high anxiety when new people come around or if there is alot of people on the clock and everybody's running around everywhere bumping into eachother to get **** done but for the most part I feel pretty comfortable going to work. It took me a long time to get to know everybody and half of them I still don't know but I know their personalities well enough. Some of them are really mean and ignorant. I can honestly tell you that I am ridiculed on a daily basis. I've been called names and made fun, people talk about me behind my back. I came in already empty hearted and walked out with a pretty strong backbone. Here I am almost a year later still working the same job with all the same rude ignorant people. Haven't made one friend and there are times when I wish I had never started working there but I'm sure there are reasons why I was meant to be there.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Yes my job is high anxiety and I'm starting to think it's just not healthy for me - I work in sales and while I'm comfortable talking (more comfortable emailing) with most of my customers, the job itself being sales involves a lot of pressure, not a lot of praise, constant scrutiny and comparing to others in the department, etc. It's really stressing me out, I don't know how I've done it for two years now I just try to not let it get the best of me but lately I'm tired of other gloating about how high their numbers were, and talking trash about people who aren't doing well, speculating on when they will get fired...etc. It really fuels my overall anxiety and stress which doesn't help the SA.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I work in an ER. Sometimes they place me in the ER Triage area checkin in patients. Its like a 12hr panic attack. Seeing new faces and in emergency situations! I havent been properly diagnosed with SAD, only GAD and depression but i seriously have gotten tachycardia and had to check myself in to the ER because of my high levels of anxiety caused by simple interaction with strangers.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Somethinginthewind, that's really great advice that your boss gave you!

I used to work in the education field. Lots of anxiety!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
After 7 years of customer service (and 7 years of not seeking treatment) I have now been unemployed since march 30th. I couldn't take it anymore, and my boss at the time was a bigoted a******.
My dad is awesome and is helping me out until I feel ready to take on the only career path somebody with no college can take - back to customer/food service.

I've always been a multi-tasker at all of my jobs. Part of my OCD I think. I worked in every department and helped open the store at Longs Drugs (now CVS). I worked for Circuit City (yay for their bankruptcy) and my first day was Black Friday. They were surprised I came back the next day - but that's how poor I was.
My last 2 jobs were tons of fun in their own ways, but super stressful for me in my OCD ways. Basically, movie theaters don't run themselves, and IQs don't run high amongst the staff. Ooh, and the coffee shop job. Must I explain myself?
My favorite jobs were at the vet clinic and the animal kennel. I messed my back up and have a bad knee from high school, though, so I can't go back to those low-paying jobs even if I wanted to.

It's funny, I can verbally assault a crack addict into giving me back my stolen burrito in the ghetto of the Mission District in San Francisco at 1am, but I'm scared to leave my room every second of every day. WTF?!
I hope we all get better. This is a curse.

·
Buried at Sea
5,104 Posts
It's funny, I can verbally assault a crack addict into giving me back my stolen burrito in the ghetto of the Mission District in San Francisco at 1am
That is awesome.

My jobs involve making and maintaining relationships with our clients (people with mental illness or drug users, depending which job I'm at). In terms of actual work, it's not stressful at all, I drink a lot of coffee and watch some movies. But given the fact that I'm terrified of talking to people and don't actually form real relationships with anyone it stresses me the **** out. It's only a matter of time before someone catches on that I'm faking it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
other than my co workers being a pain in the *** my job is actually pretty easy going for the most part. i am alone for most of the day delivering parts around the city but everyone once and a while im forced to talk to customers for a little while which actually isnt that bad because it gives me a chance to practice some social skills without completely overwhelming me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts