Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't (only for urinating), but even when I got a stomach ache...I've been thinking, if I am really careful it's not like I'll make contact with my hands.

Why? Because my thing is cleaner than touching the surface of that faucet. Does anyone else think this way? 5000 people touched that faucet. When I leave the rest room, I pull my sleeves up to open the door. What can you expect from an SA'er? Freaking weird, I know.

Here is something to think about.

What if everyone thought my way? This means if you were to shake someone's hand there is a 99.97% chance that he is a non-washer just like the rest of the population. In which, theoretically, you touched his thing aswell and it may even be possible to transfer disease. What if the guy had crabs and he recently used the washroom, those darn things might make it onto your hands if you handshaked!

·
anhedonic
2,005 Posts
I wish we didn't shake hands in this culture. That's nasty. And what's ridiculous is that people use those toilet seat covers, thinking they're saving themselves, when the covers are useless. The germs are on the door, lock, faucet, and door handle.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I always wash my hands. Most restrooms have touchless faucets these days and if they dont I just dont touch them after I wash them except with a paper towel.

And rest assured, you wont get crabs from a faucet.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I wash my hands after EVERY use and turn off faucet and open the door using the paper towel I used to dry my hands. I've seen the non-washing barbarians charge from the stalls and I could very well hear the horrors that occurred behind those metal walls. In some unfortunate cases even smell what happened as well!!!

Some guys will take what sounds & smells like the dump of the century and then just walk out like nothing happened even though you know otherwise unless you're wearing earplugs & a respirator. Touching that door handle after they do is, well, equivalent, to shoving your hands down their pants and touching parts you don't want to. Think about that for a few seconds -- gross, isn't it? I doubt you'll be touching another doorknob without protection again.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I generally dislike using public bathrooms, but they are a necessary evil. As far as I'm aware germs are harmless in that setting and exposure to them is good for your immune system. It's probably the idea of germs and using the same facilities as everyone else that is more panic inducing then the actual risk of catching a disease.

If you are really that against washing your hands out of fear of touching the faucet can I suggest this?

http://www.epharmacy.com.au/product.asp?id=56710&pname=Dettol+Instant+Hand+Sanitizer+Refresh+50ml

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I always wash my hands. Most restrooms have touchless faucets these days and if they dont I just dont touch them after I wash them except with a paper towel.

And rest assured, you wont get crabs from a faucet.
Ahh, forgot to mention. Yeah if it's a touch-free faucet and hand dryer I'm all for a nice rinse.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I always wash after using the restroom. I've been in enough public restrooms over the years to know that most guys don't though, which is disgusting. I try to avoid touching the door when I leave as well, usually I push it open with my foot or pull my sleeve over my hand so I don't have to touch it directly. If I'm in one of those portable outhouses I always use the hand sanitizer before I leave too. I don't think its a germaphobia, after seeing how disgusting people can be it only makes sense. I wouldn't want to handle another guy's junk...so why would I want to touch something they handled after touching theirs? :puke

·
Registered
18 Posts
I flush toilets with my foot.

·
Registered
10,731 Posts
I too am a "foot flusher". :lol And I also do the paper towel opening of the door. At work, I use my hospital coat sleeve to press elevator buttons and open doors.
Someone at work was doing that and for some reason the head of maintainance figured it out. So he posted a sign in every restroom at work telling them to stop doing it. :lol So if you come to Mental Health watch out they know that you are a foot flusher. :lol

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I too am a "foot flusher". :lol And I also do the paper towel opening of the door. At work, I use my hospital coat sleeve to press elevator buttons and open doors.
Imagine trying to explain how you managed to injure yourself if you lost your balance...lol. You could just grab an extra square or two of toilet paper and use it to protect your hand when you flush and just toss it in the toliet.

·
Suit up!
390 Posts
It's just habit to wash my hands. If I use the restroom and don't wash my hands, then I feel really disgusting, like anything my hands touch will get me sick. Half the time I don't really think about it though. I just walk to the sink, wash, and leave because I'm just used to that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Imagine trying to explain how you managed to injure yourself if you lost your balance...lol. You could just grab an extra square or two of toilet paper and use it to protect your hand when you flush and just toss it in the toliet.
You don't lose your balance.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.