Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many of you shut your computer down at night? I always shut mine down but my parents always leave theirs on and just turn off the monitor. I kind of think it's a waste of electricity and money to leave it on all night.

Does anyone know approximately how much money can be saved in a month by shutting it down at night?

·
Registered
194 Posts
I don't understand why someone would want to leave their computer turned on when they're not using it. Unless there's an important (long and boring) process or download going on that one would prefer to sleep through. Besides, I couldn't stand the humming of all the fans inside my computer casing.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I turn my laptop off for obvious reasons, my desk top is a toss up, my desktop at work is left on so I can PC Anywhere in, and there is no such thing as downtime on the servers (just on occasional restart)

·
SAS's Chief Meteorologist
7,537 Posts
When I'm running XP, my computer 'hybernates' automatically after an hour of inactivity.

When I'm running Linux, which is most of the time, just the monitor shuts off. I just learned theres 'apmsleep' in Linux, which shuts down in 'hybernate' mode.

·
(.*?)
7,014 Posts
Planewalker said:
I don't understand why someone would want to leave their computer turned on when they're not using it.
Because I typically have about 10 windows open of stuff in progress that I really don't want to save and try to sort out and figure out where to pick up in again. Though Opera can reload the tabs after closing, it won't refill any text I'm in the middle of typing in a page... and other programs I could likewise reload if I set KDE to save the session, but similarly it wouldn't restore data in progress or my position in a document.

Futures said:
Does anyone know approximately how much money can be saved in a month by shutting it down at night?
Not much I'm sure. The size of my electricity bill is 99% determined by usage of heat and air conditioning, things like refridgerators can also guzzle, and a computer takes very little electricity.

·
Poorly Educated
4,912 Posts
I shut mine down every night. I only use it for about two hours a day at night, so there's really no point leaving it on all day while I'm at work. Our computer at work never gets shut off though, it stays on 24 / 7 / 365.

·
Registered
21 Posts
noonehappy said:
caprice said:
My router has 21 days uptime.
My web server has 89 days uptime.
My main computer has 12 days uptime.
I think I saw a picture of all this on the image board. neat~ ^_^
haha, yeah, that was mine. It's not just in one room either, there's computer junk all over the house.

The electricity bill has certainly gone up since I bought a quad Xeon server.

·
Registered
364 Posts
mine is buring for about a month now (maybe two) but only because it's starting to be problematic to switch back on. Otherwise everybody likes to wake me up with technical questions early in the morning while i like to sleep like canon: "what's this message?"....I can't bother fixing it. That's Bill's job. Although, my windows copy isn't exactly legal. And the stupid ON button keeps faling...do i have to really break my neck checking those tiny cables. **** it. So i just leave it on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Windows XP uptime: 6days 8hrs 36mins 55secs

Nope, I never turn mine off at night. I like the idea that people can write to me on MSN/IRC if they want and that if I can't sleep I just have to turn the monitor on for something to do. Also, I'm so used to the lights and fan sounds that they help me relax into sleep, too -_-

·
Registered
49 Posts
My computers are laptops, and so take only around 10 watts of power when idle, not much more than a nightlight. I leave them on all the time because I'll often want to just check something online quickly, and don't want to wait 2 or 3 minutes for the thing to bootup just to glance at, say, the current weather radar or satellite loop, or maybe look and see if someone is online.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.