Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you think you'll ever get over your social anxiety/depression and be able to lead a normal life? without this debilitating emotional pain? I would love to hear from someone who's "made it"

·
Banned
776 Posts
I'd like to think I'll be able to get over at least some of my anxiety in the future, maybe to the extent of being able to have a normal conversation with people or being more comfortable in normal social situations (I am making an effort to get to this point).
However I can't imagine myself ever having relationships or becoming a "normal", outgoing, talkative, social person. To be honest, I don't know that I'd want to change that much even if I knew I could. I'd be a completely different person.

·
Your Assumptions
7,027 Posts
I noticed a large reduction in the symptoms as I approached 30. This coincided with becoming generally more self-accepting. However, it will always be with me and is complicated by having ASD, which is probably why I still score as severe on the Liebowitz scale.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I don't know if I'll ever get over SA or not sometimes I can go out and feel somewhat normal and other times not a chance, but my SA has lessened over the years so I feel like there might be some hope. I know I'll probably never get over my other mental disorders but if I could get over or at least learn to control my SA better then that would be a big improvement.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've overcome most of my depression (only have short relapses about once a day per week which don't even last all day). The way not to beat it is to do nothing. I did nothing for a while and all it seems to do is confirm sadness and feeling sorry for yourself etc.

I believe the way to beat it is to go out of your way to make a change. Don't miss any opportunities. Think about what you like to do and exploit it. Talking to yourself helps because it still feels like company. As you start to snap out of it things become clearer and easier. Take it one step at a time. Think about things in steps and not in wholes (that could lead to exceeded expectations which inevitiably lead to sadness).

·
Banned
60 Posts
I don't think I ever will.
I keep postponing taking action..

·
Registered
690 Posts
I think I will. The way I have been doing things certainly shows it's possible. I didn't really think I ever would until about a month ago which is when I started doing anything and everything I could. I've made alot of progress since then I can ask girls out, go to parties, hangout with big groups of people, and I'm alot more independent. I've continued challenging myself and have alot of things lined up that really make me nervous. I feel if I keep doing this I should be able to overcome it.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I don't I have the motivation or will power to overcome it, so I'll be happy just finding a way to compromise with it.

·
razzled and dazzled
817 Posts
I don't see it disappearing completely but I have improved by leaps and bounds since high school. These last six months especially with all of the travel and being away from my tiny town. I am sort of nervous about going home. My SA peaked again after South America because I was back in the environment where I had developed my SA and everyone there knows me and how I have always been.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Not now. Its too late. I also came close once not to normality but at least to contentment but things often get worse instead of better.

·
3rd SAS Battalion
886 Posts
Sometimes I say to myself, in the darkest moments of my thinking, that if in tens years I'm still the same then I might have to start thinking about leaving this world through my own means.

I hate those thoughts, but at least I've put a time of ten years on it. Would I really do something like, most likely not, I don't think I have the guts to. Not that it's an admirable thing to do, but you know what I mean, to actually set about it is a big leap from having fleeting thoughts.

Just soldier on, it's all you can do. My doctor told me that thirty years ago his young sister died when a gas stove was accidentally left on, so that put things into perspective. He did inspire me to keep going through the way he told the story and how angry it makes him feel people take their own life.

I've went right off topic really to talking about suicide I apologise I'm not going to delete it though because I had to get it off my chest and I do think it is relevant. My conclusion is that yes it is possible to overcome it but it will take effort.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Manage it, yes. Get over it, no.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Sometimes, I think i'll be over the worst of it within the next 10 years... with some residue SA remaining, but nothing I can't handle.

But then something happens, or I have a really depressing day, and I feel like I haven't made any progress and am back at square one... and then I think I will have this until I die.
Same feeling here. I feel like I've made a lot of progress, but sometimes when you're so depressed, you just don't feel like it will ever end.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Sometimes I think so, but then when my morale isn't as high I start to think nothing will change :(. I really need to control my state and remind myself that things can change, because the first step to making to happen is believing it can happen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I feel like when I start to feel better, happy and less anxious. Something always happens that brings me back down into the pit of sadness and anxiey. So no I don't think that I will get over it, I think that there will always be something that will pull me back down from the few good days that I have. But I can always look foward to having those good days.

·
Done with SA
1,818 Posts
I don't think you'll ever be able to get rid of it completely, but yes, I see myself getting a lot better when I really start putting more effort into it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts