Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you think you have it better or worse than the majority of users here?

• Better

Votes: 26 63.4%
  • Worse

Votes: 15 36.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think you have it better or worse than the majority of users here?
Note: DON'T accuse people here of having a life better than you. That's against the rules. Just vote on the poll instead.
Who has it Worse
This site is not a competition - it's not about whose particular brand of suffering is the worse, who suffers more than whom, or who has the right to call their problems Social Anxiety. This includes comparisons of suffering between the genders. The belittlement of others' suffering will not be tolerated.
I know that if you ask a group of people about their perceived intelligence, the majority of them will say theirs is above average. That's impossible to be true. People overrate their skills and abilities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect
So I'm curious if this applies to people's SA too. Do we overrate our SA? Or do we underrate it? Let's find out.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,369 Posts
I'm surprised so many people would be willing to put themselves above average for things like intelligence :/ I don't find many people who openly think of themselves as smart, is that just for anonymous tests?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
*Random, pointless rant starts here*

There's a simple reality here; if you're posting on this site then it's safe to assume that you: 1) have access to some sort of digital device and Internet connection, 2) posses an at least intermediate level of English, 3) have at least some amount of leisure time, which means there's a good chance that you come from a developed country or are at least middle class in a developing one

Some people do not like to hear this but in the grand scheme and scale of human suffering being socially awkward, not having friends/a romantic partner or being a virgin isn't really all that important. But why does it seem important to so many?, because they're lucky enough to have the true essentials of life, housing, food, healthcare, basic education, etc, to the point they're just considered to be an innate aspect of existence but for a lot of the world they really aren't.

It's one of the greatest flaws of the human nature, we just lack any sort of natural capacity for perspective, we often only see the world and reality through our very own limited eyes, refusing to even consider that what we isn't an objective and absolute truth.

I won't deny that there are probably many people around here that have had to experience truly nasty things and I know full well how painful dealing with chronic mental illness can be. But would you rather be a perfectly healthy person but in exchange having to be some poor Chinese or Indian worker having to break his/back every single day just to feed your family?

It's not about being ashamed of what you have or are, it's about understanding that perspective is often the best path towards happiness; for example, someone that was born into wealth may have no perspective and experience no pleasure from his/her advantageous position in the world but if that person makes the effort to understand and see what the reality of life for most humanity is then they may find a way to be happier just with what they already have.

The same applies to all aspects of life, no life is truly perfect but you can choose to cherish the positives you have, even if they're very few, and become a joyful person or fully embrace all your frustration and lackings and become the black holes of negativity that we often see around this forum. That's a choice for each one to make.

*Random, pointless rant ends here*

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,369 Posts
*Random, pointless rant starts here*

There's a simple reality here; if you're posting on this site then it's safe to assume that you: 1) have access to some sort of digital device and Internet connection, 2) posses an at least intermediate level of English, 3) have at least some amount of leisure time, which means there's a good chance that you come from a developed country or are at least middle class in a developing one

Some people do not like to hear this but in the grand scheme and scale of human suffering being socially awkward, not having friends/a romantic partner or being a virgin isn't really all that important. But why does it seem important to so many?, because they're lucky enough to have the true essentials of life, housing, food, healthcare, basic education, etc, to the point they're just considered to be an innate aspect of existence but for a lot of the world they really aren't.

It's one of the greatest flaws of the human nature, we just lack any sort of natural capacity for perspective, we often only see the world and reality through our very own limited eyes, refusing to even consider that what we isn't an objective and absolute truth.

I won't deny that there are probably many people around here that have had to experience truly nasty things and I know full well how painful dealing with chronic mental illness can be. But would you rather be a perfectly healthy person but in exchange having to be some poor Chinese or Indian worker having to break his/back every single day just to feed your family?

It's not about being ashamed of what you have or are, it's about understanding that perspective is often the best path towards happiness; for example, someone that was born into wealth may have no perspective and experience no pleasure from his/her advantageous position in the world but if that person makes the effort to understand and see what the reality of life for most humanity is then they may find a way to be happier just with what they already have.

The same applies to all aspects of life, no life is truly perfect but you can choose to cherish the positives you have, even if they're very few, and become a joyful person or fully embrace all your frustration and lackings and become the black holes of negativity that we often see around this forum. That's a choice for each one to make.

*Random, pointless rant ends here*
Did you do what I did initially and only read the thread title (not the poll title) and assume it was asking if you believe your life is better/worse than people in general?

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
In some aspects I have it way better, thankfully. In others maybe not. But I can't compare, really. It's just... different.

·
The Explorer
686 Posts
Did you do what I did initially and only read the thread title (not the poll title) and assume it was asking if you believe your life is better/worse than people in general?
haha and he wrote that long post, unlucky man. I also thought the question meant that :b. I put 'yes' I have pretty bad social anxiety, but reading what some of you go through, maaan, things could be a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
I thought that too at first. Moral: always read the OPs first post before responding.

I think I'm significantly better off than most people here at this point.
Before I got treatment I was probably somewhat worse off than the average SASer, although not as bad as some.

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
I'd be lying if I said I was better off.

·
Registered
316 Posts
By all means, I have a decent life. Good childhood, relatively good family, a job. I just make it hard for myself, or at the very least, my brain does. Regardless, I'd still consider myself better off than a lot of people.

·
Registered
154,234 Posts
Better in most ways. There are a few that I need to work on, but I have come a LONG way in the last 9-10 years.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Yes I would rather be poor and work hard everyday if it meant i had no mental disorders.

Btw, this thread is about whether your life is better or worse relative to others on this site not relative to the global population. Those are two very different questions.

It's clear that the poll is pretty pointless now because a good percentage of people probably misinterpreted it.

·
Registered
8,575 Posts
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better!

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
General quality of life compared to users on this site? Due to depression, I could be swimming in hundred dollar bills in some gigantic mansion and my perspective would still be distorted enough to feel my life is utter crap. I'm too biased to say anything.

I would say currently I'm ok. I'm not in my blackest pit of depression right now, though I've ventured there in the past few months including several emotional breakdowns, so things are not as epicly terrible as they used to seem, but they are still pretty bad. So long as I can desire something better and I am dissatisfied with my circumstances, I would say my quality of life is bad.

It could be worse, though. I've seen users who are/have gone through perpetual sexual/physical abuse, drug addictions, several deaths of family members, and deal with a handful of disorders I have never had experience with. I do have a lot of physical medical problems (genetic autoimmune disorder that causes me to be hospitalized often, kidney disease which will eventually lead to kidney failure in my late 30s/40s, scoliosis, asthma, and endless list of allergies) and a considerable sum of mental/cognition thingies (major depression, generalized anxiety disorder as a given, insomnia, short term memory, auditory neuropathy, sequencing disorder, asperger's), and we're quite poor (food stamps, single mum who makes below the poverty line to support 3 children), but at least I don't have anything extra to deal with like living in a less liberated country, being abused, having bipolar or a serious eating disorder, having no family left, being homeless on and off, etc.

I don't really understand the OP, though. You're stating that you know the site rules, but this thread is essentially breaking that rule anyway? Haha. You're making it a competition.

·
Audacious romantic
4,496 Posts
It's below average for sure.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
General quality of life compared to users on this site? Due to depression, I could be swimming in hundred dollar bills in some gigantic mansion and my perspective would still be distorted enough to feel my life is utter crap. I'm too biased to say anything.

I would say currently I'm ok. I'm not in my blackest pit of depression right now, though I've ventured there in the past few months including several emotional breakdowns, so things are not as epicly terrible as they used to seem, but they are still pretty bad. So long as I can desire something better and I am dissatisfied with my circumstances, I would say my quality of life is bad.

It could be worse, though. I've seen users who are/have gone through perpetual sexual/physical abuse, drug addictions, several deaths of family members, and deal with a handful of disorders I have never had experience with. I do have a lot of physical medical problems (genetic autoimmune disorder that causes me to be hospitalized often, kidney disease which will eventually lead to kidney failure in my late 30s/40s, scoliosis, asthma, and endless list of allergies) and a considerable sum of mental/cognition thingies (major depression, generalized anxiety disorder as a given, insomnia, short term memory, auditory neuropathy, sequencing disorder, asperger's), and we're quite poor (food stamps, single mum who makes below the poverty line to support 3 children), but at least I don't have anything extra to deal with like living in a less liberated country, being abused, having bipolar or a serious eating disorder, having no family left, being homeless on and off, etc.

I don't really understand the OP, though. You're stating that you know the site rules, but this thread is essentially breaking that rule anyway? Haha. You're making it a competition.
That really blows. Will you be able to get a kidney replacement?

·
Registered
84 Posts
That's kind of cool, the poll is about tied.(at the time I'm posting this anyways)

Compared to other users on this site, I've felt kind of bad since I seem to have it easy. I'm not the most mentally stable, but I seem to be very good at forgetting things, including pain.

·
6,039 Posts
Standard of living compared to other users: Below average.:|

Severity of my SA: Close to average??
It's hard to tell because few members are posting often enough to gather enough information and make an idea where they are at this point. It's not like I can make a reliable statistic. Out of those posting a lot, some seem to be light years ahead(clubbing, dating, having a bf/gf or even a life partner), some seem to be doing worse(not being functional).

Not completely sure which one were you referring to.

Do we overrate our SA? Or do we underrate it? Let's find out.
So I guess it is the second one.

You meant: How severe do you think your SA is compared to other people in here(the average)?

Next time, try to be less ambiguous. People aren't mind readers.

·
castor sacs
7,092 Posts
That really blows. Will you be able to get a kidney replacement?
I couldn't possibly predict my financial situation at that point in time. If my kidneys had failed today, my mum wouldn't be able to afford it, but she cares about her children enough (and crazily enough) that I'm sure she would find a way. Mooch off her stepdad, call up family to get donations, something like that. Or maybe I'm overestimating her. However, in the future, my mum will likely be dead or homeless, so I'll be on my own if social anxiety persists to the point I still have no friends or family to keep contact with when I'm in need of money for a transplant. Idk. In the end it doesn't matter. 40 years sounds like enough to me. I know one day all my problems will catch up to me. My mum is already worried that I won't be able to afford my kidney medication after this year is over due to our recently worsened financial situation.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts