Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

What do you think of Tom Cruise as an actor?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Super Moderator
33,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everyone has an opinion on him as a person but I'm curious. I've noticed that I tend to expect the worst when I see he's going to be in a movie but when I actually see it, it usually isn't bad (IMO).

But what do you think of him as an actor?

·
Registered
6,012 Posts
He's a "star" actor. He's never going to "disappear" into a role, and you're never unaware that it's Tom Cruise you're watching. Still, he gives capable performances. He was quite good in Magnolia, Eyes Wide Shut, Vanilla Sky and some others. I don't know why he keeps doing action films; I guess it's some kind of wish fulfillment on his part. He should get back to dramas. As for him personally, I have no idea why he gets such flack. He has his own religious beliefs and he's entitled to them. You've never heard about him throwing temper tantrums or abusing drugs, and he seems dedicated and upbeat about his work. One thing I don't like is how he allegedly tries to take over his films and sometimes pushes the director out of the picture.

·
Registered
451 Posts
He's rarely in something thats not watchable. He always picks decent projects and his action films are usually enjoyable. I think he is a good actor but you have to go back to his earlier stuff to see it. He doesnt challenge himself anymore, hes always just playing Tom Cruise the action hero. He has more than enough ability to do serious drama but he seems to be an adrenaline junkie who likes getting big studios to pay him to do stunts.

Whatever about his religious ideas, he seems to be a decent human being who always has time for fans, is never rude to media people etc.

·
today's a beautiful day
2,217 Posts
I'm sure everyone has an opinion on him as a person but I'm curious. I've noticed that I tend to expect the worst when I see he's going to be in a movie but when I actually see it, it usually isn't bad (IMO).

But what do you think of him as an actor?
hehe.. WillYouStopItDave...

lol just joking..well hes quite good....

but i doint like him jumping on that sofa at oprah show.. nope

·
Banned
6,324 Posts
I liked him in Collateral but that's all. Good movie also starring Jamie Foxx.

·
slave
4,382 Posts
I thought his strongest performances were Collateral and Born on the Fourth of July. Magnolia too. That being said, I think he can be a good actor when he isn't being Tom Cruise Action Star™ in his films, which is exactly what he's been doing for the last decade.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Yeah,I like him. Obviously he's not a top tier actor in terms of ability,but he's competent and I like plenty of movies he's in...

·
Spirit of Vengeance
5,301 Posts
He is a decent actor. I agree with the other poster that he has been basically playing Tom Cruise Insert Action Role here for the last decade or so though.

But I really didn't like that Cruise was cast as Jack Reacher. He will never be Jack Reacher to me.

·
Not-So-Hip Hippie
192 Posts
I like him :)

He's a wonderful man & a great actor.

·
Dragonic Archon
1,575 Posts
That is a curious question! My personal standard for what I consider "good" actors is them being able to portray any part. Well maybe not any, but when you see a character, and don't realize it's the same actor unless you watch the movie to see them specifically. A few examples being, Bill Nighy (Davy Jones - Pirates of the Carribean 2, Victor - Underworld), Daniel Day Lewis (Last of the Mohicans, There will be Blood, Gangs of New York), Edward Norton (Fight Club, Kingdom of Heaven), Emma Thompson (Sense and Sensibility, Harry Potter), Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight/Batman Begins, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Harry Potter), Cate Blanchett (Lord of the Rings, Indiana Jones Crystal Skull thing)

However, on the other hand there are good "characters" or maybe "personalities" they display. In almost every movie, different universe, but similar traits. These being actors such as Al Pacino (Great mob boss, disgruntled cop), Johnny Depp (Older films he displayed more diversity, but the later seems to display an eccentric or brooding character), Helena Bonham Carter (Femme Fatale), Eva Greene (Femme Fatale), Chistopher Lee (Villain lol), Liam Neeson (Wise Sage guy), Huge Weaving (Intellectual, Stoic, Vengeful type), Alan Rickman (Quiet, Contemptuous), Patrick Stewart (Commanding, Mental affinity), Ian Mckellan (Stoic, Wise, Assertive type), Harrison Ford (Spunky Antihero)

But see all those character they play in every movie, share similar traits. It is like the same personality in a different universe with different lore/backstory. They seem to specialize in those traits as it is either them just being naturally strong personalities, or expressing repressed emotions through a stage persona.

As for Tom Cruise, I would put him in category B of "good actors". Most of the movies I have seen him in he plays the same type of character. Outspoken, rebellious, impatient antihero type lol.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts