Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been on here for about 2 weeks or so, and for me it's probably been the MOST help of anything else I've done. It's a comforting feeling to know I'm not alone. It's kind of like a group session. I'm also very impressed with the wide range of different topics that are discussed. I've noticed my outlook on things, and my personal life have improved dramatically since I've been here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've been registered for about... 2 days? While I haven't sought out help in the real world, this has been a major help already. It's nice to be able to read about people's experiences and how they cope.

Like you said, it's a really nice feeling to know I'm not the only one who has to fight SA.

·
Banned
501 Posts
Do I think this forum helps? It depends on what is your purpose for using this forum. For instance, one can use this site as a way of meeting other local SAers. I was able to form a little social anxiety meetup group which is good as a social exposure exercise for us. Sometimes, this forum can be helpful for sharing an effective treatment that we would otherwise not know about. For instance, I believe it was yeah_yeah_yeah who informed the forum of the book Overcoming Social Anxiety and Shyness by Gillian Butler and I also informed another member about Albert Ellis's REBT which has recently been effective for me. Another purpose could be venting some intense negative emotions like panic, resentment, bitterness, and depression along with receiving sympathy and advice. I also think that another purpose for this forum could be to practice CBT, REBT, or another form of treatment with other interested members.

Find what your desires or goals are and see if this forum can be used as a means to attain them.

·
Registered
199 Posts
DepecheEyes is right. I think its totally fine and beneficial to use this forum initially as a way to show yourself that you aren't alone. But, eventually, we got to start working constructively to get better. It won't do much good to use this forum for a long period of time just venting and complaining about how life is. That, as you would learn in CBT, would just reinforce your negative feelings that contribute to your SAD.

·
Banned
205 Posts
Honestly, this forum only feeds my feelings of anxiety. I think there are a lot more people here that have made no attempt at dealing with SA and allowing negative thoughts to dominate their lives than people who have actually seeked treatment.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
It helps for a short period of time, but once you learned most of the info on here, you either have to apply what you learned and try to get better or just hang out as a member and give advice.

·
crazy
2,067 Posts
It's good as exposure therapy - it kind of triggers the same issues you have when dealing with people in the real world. But it's much nicer to practice in here.

But yeah, you have to be careful about the negative stuff. It's fun to vent but it's like eating cake - you don't want to just eat cake all day, cause you'll feel like crap if you do!

·
Registered
311 Posts
I can't speak for anyone but myself, and for me it has sort of helped. It's great to have a place to come to and read about experiences that I can relate to, as well as let out feelings to an audience who will probably understand. Would I say it has actually helped my anxiety? I suppose so. I feel more inspired and motivated to change than I ever have before, and I've found some materials that I've been using to try and help myself.

·
Banned
728 Posts
Once you find decent people to talk to, it gets really good.

At first i thought the forums were a little.....hostile. A lot of people would post their own stuff, but very little would post much more than that.

Its all social anxiety fears that hold us back from being ourselves.

I needed some encouragement, and a good "social" experience. Well i have spoken to some great people here. Even though i was scared to even post on here to start off with, i have seen that if you find someone decent, its great.

Basically quality vs quantity.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I felt so much better when I found this forum and saw that I wasn't the only one with SA. I know when I needed advice on something, I sent out a post and got a lot of replies back that really helped me out.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It helps me because I get to meet people who have the same problem/s as I do. Some people here have good advice and can help me as well as I can help people here who feel bad at times. I try to encourage others to stay positive and not give up.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
helps ease off the boredom

·
Registered
632 Posts
yes,it help me to had been able to share opinions and thoughts with fellow SA peoples.It's good to know that you are not alone in this.

·
miles away
1,217 Posts
I have to say I learned all I needed to learn years ago so I'm not learning anything new on here but I guess this forum can be helpful for finding other socially anxious people to talk to

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
It could if I used it differently. Same goes for therapy. 'm a lost cause.

·
Too School for Cool
6,857 Posts
It helps for a short period of time, but once you learned most of the info on here, you either have to apply what you learned and try to get better or just hang out as a member and give advice.
This. I don't come here to help my SA. I come here because I'm bored and like some of the posters.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts