Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess I’m talking to late teens, 20’s, early 30’s. Younger or older people can chime in too. I feel like quiet people are looked more down upon because there’s more reasons to be social with all this new technology like the internet, social networking sites, cell phones, email, skype etc. It’s rare for a young person these days to not have a public profile page or a cell phone. I feel that people think we don’t have excuses for being so introverted but the main reason being they are ignorant.

Compare my generations to say my mothers. It’s was looked upon better if you werern't so extroverted. Something like 50% of baby boomers are introverts (my mom's 53). If you are quiet this era it’s like you’re an alien.

When I’m on campus it is extremely rare to find someone even remotely quiet. Everyone has their little group/clique. Everyone’s found their niche. When I do spot someone quiet, it’s like nobody knows how to react to them. It’s as if black people and white people met for the first time lol. I guess a some people don’t know what to make of it. Some people act like they’ve never been exposed to introverts haha.

I don’t know but I guess with all these new social tools our generation has acquired there’s no justification in people’s minds as to why we are the way we are. I feel that it’s tougher now more than ever. I can't tell you the number of people who literally bulge their eyes at me when I tell them I don't have a facebook or myspace lol.

·
Registered
8 Posts
lol i am that quiet person. and yeh with TV and computer and everything happenning nowadays people just wont shut up, and if u havnt seen the latest episode of eastenders or something its like your alien (like u said) so yeh i think society is a waay more expectant of u. as in everyone likes and thinks pretty much the same stuff now, and everythings way more accurate and opinions seem to get me in trooble :/

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I returned to college this year and in one of my classes, we had to do the Myers-Briggs personality test (if you're unfamiliar - one of the things it tests is introversion vs extroversion - it's actually seems to be a disturbingly accurate test). Then we had to share/talk about our results with the people around us. Well, I was SURROUNDED by people who tested as Extrovert. Go figure. And just walking down the halls, you can tell the extroverts FAR outnumber the introverts on campus. So, I do feel a little like an alien in another world at times..

Compare my generations to say my mothers. It's was looked upon better if you werern't so extroverted. Something like 50% of baby boomers are introverts (my mom's 53). If you are quiet this era it's like you're an alien.
I think so too... Maybe this is part of the reason why I'm much more likely to get along with someone who's like twice my age than I am with someone who's closer to me.

When I'm on campus it is extremely rare to find someone even remotely quiet.
But they are there! The question is how do you spot them, and (even more challenging) how to befriend them...

·
Banned
8,418 Posts
extraversion

really happy or really angry?>:)

no other strains of it

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've done something similar to Just Lurking a couple of times in my classes and I had the opposite experience - most people came up as introverts. Maybe there are differences depending on the course? I'm not sure... but also as a retail worker I find that there are way more older people who want to have a conversation and seem outgoing. Whereas with teens and people in their early 20's, its definitely more awkward... you can tell that if they didn't have to interact with me they wouldn't. Sort of seems like they're only extroverted with their friends or online and with strangers they become quieter. There could be a reasonable explanation though, because it does seem like 99% of young people outside of work are more outgoing than me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'm observing the upper class kids now a days, as well as their parents.

The parents, i believe, at one time worked harder and talked less. Many a person from these generations and before, considered a talkative person far less trustworthy, than a quiet person of integrity and honor.

Look at the media, and the heroes, that were always looked down on due to their quiet nature, and the extrovert was always the rich, good looking, manipulative villain.

Now, we have a lot of parents, whether single mom, or both parents are involved - raising their children to win. The parents didn't have these types of social skills growing up - but they realized in the last few decades, that anyone trying to make it in life has to be everything they were not or too damn cowardly to be:

1) Sociopathic

2) "Thick-skinned"

3) Loquacious

4) A butt kisser

5) A brown noser

6) Learn the art of small-talk

7) Getting along with everyone

8) Political Animals

9) And keeping a positive "spin" on a negative situation

10) Be competitive - but win at all costs!

The poor kid, if he's an introvert, basically has to take that part of himself and sink it somewhere deep, go through life pretending they are something they actually are not.

This generation is not "More extroverted", i don't believe?

But they are certainly far more "self-centered", "spoiled", "entitled" and "privileged" thanks to the parents that keep saying: "Nothing's 'too good' for my kid." when they think no one else is around to hear them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts