Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think SA has made you a better human being then you otherwise would be? I honestly think the emotional abuse I've endured at the hands of cruel people has given me a sincere passionate concern for disenfranchised, abused, neglected and unwanted people.

Any one else feel something similar?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
Yes, it gives you a better "connection" with other people's emotions i think. I don't think i would be cruel or mean or whatever otherwise, but i like this aspect of having SA, though i think some people might feel the exact opposite, i just don't want to be like people who helped cause my SA. But i think im naturally a very friendly, earthy person.

·
Registered
873 Posts
Yes, it has definitely made me a better person. :yes

Suzi

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is the one reason why i don't want to get rid of SA. I am a very compassionate and understanding person, largely due to SA, and I don't want this to change. Just need to learn to deal with the negative parts of SA.

·
Registered
266 Posts
TOOLfan said:
This is the one reason why i don't want to get rid of SA. I am a very compassionate and understanding person, largely due to SA, and I don't want this to change. Just need to learn to deal with the negative parts of SA.
:agree

I find with SA, I'm more mature and wiser than my peers.

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
It has definitely made me a more empathetic person.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Depends what you mean by "better person". On the one hand I think it's led to me being a more sensitive person and able to empathize with others, but on the other it's held me back in so many things - education, career, personal growth and lifeskills, love life, relationships, friendships etc. And while I can empathize with people and almost literally feel their pain, I have almost always lacked the skills to express myself to others - which means others probably see me as a cold fish, maybe even hostile and standoffish.

·
Registered
873 Posts
maybe even hostile and standoffish.
Awwwwwwwwwww, Mike, I cannot see how anyone could see you that way! :stu I feel sorry for them if they do! :con

Suzi :hug

·
Registered
177 Posts
:thanks
Thank you for the encouragement Suzi.

I should say (since this is the Positive Thinking forum, after all) that I have felt an enormous improvement since having CBT and following the Dr Richards tapes (and participating in a group). By being a bit more proactive, smiling more, being the first to say "Hi!", and making more eye contact, people's attitudes towards me have changed for the better. And if I can do this, anyone can.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Yes, it's made me smarter. More mature. More 'connected' to people.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Viktor Frankl is a psychiatrist and survivor of nazi concentration camps, who took what he learned from his experience to help others. I don't think he views concentration camps as a positive thing, even though he was able to create something positive based on his experience there. I feel the same way about SAD. His book "Man's Search For Meaning" goes into this in more detail.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I honestly think the emotional abuse I've endured at the hands of cruel people has given me a sincere passionate concern for disenfranchised, abused, neglected and unwanted people.
Me too. The problem is that it's made me hate "normal" people more.

·
Registered
411 Posts
SA has broken me pretty bad, or I should say people have, which in turn gave me SA. But it's taught me alot and in some ways I think it's made me a better person.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
SobreSpetsnaz,

It has definitely made me a better person. Even through the anxiety and the cruelty of others, I can still be understanding, even forgiving.

I have come to realize that many people don't understand this disorder and it's a shame. The only thing I can do is present myself in the best way I can: be open and genuine.

·
Simon Says...
1,693 Posts
Maybe SA and OCD have helped me to understand people better... gay people for example perhaps, not that one should find that too hard to begin with... but hey.

But most of all, it's made me angry and depressed... mostly VERY VERY angry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i think im a better person because of SA. i am more compasionite, i help the world be a better place by protesting against injustice and oppresion. and im also a vegitarian :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Having SA has helped me understand how important self-esteem is for me. I had extremely low self-esteem before going to my lowest point. After that, I began to take seriously that something must be done about how I feel and think about myself. As a result, I feel that lots of other people should have self-esteem, too. I actually want to make people feel good about themselves. Before SA hit me its hardest, I would never have cared about self-esteem for myself, or for the world.

I think that people need to feel good about themselves to fully grow and enjoy life. I wouldn't miss this idea of unconditional love for self and others on a different plane than I used to feel about it for the world.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Mork said:
Viktor Frankl is a psychiatrist and survivor of nazi concentration camps, who took what he learned from his experience to help others. I don't think he views concentration camps as a positive thing, even though he was able to create something positive based on his experience there. I feel the same way about SAD. His book "Man's Search For Meaning" goes into this in more detail.
Read that book a few months ago in one night. Found it very useful. helps to give me direction.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts