Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
nardil user since 2006
339 Posts
lessen effectiveness of future meds..hmm.. i never heard that before. Sertraline is zoloft, or generic zoloft, i don't know the recommened dosage, but i would try the recommend dosage, give it 2 months, and if you feel no change, you can cross off zoloft on your list.

·
Banned
115 Posts
Sertraline is the chemical name of Zoloft so what you have is the generic version of Zoloft.

Zoloft, and all SSRI's, are incredibly safe to use as there are minimal food/drug interactions and they dont seem to cause withdrawal or tolerance for most people.

With that being said you should probably see a doctor so he/she can determine the right SSRI and the proper dose for you to use. A doctor would also know if any other drugs you take would interact.

You can go to a regular doctor (GP) and tell them you have anxiety or depression and they will give you Zoloft as a first line treatment. You may even get some free samples to try.

Good Luck!

·
Banned
115 Posts
My uncle said to break them in half and take one half each day. The bottle says to take 2 tablets daily. This isn't my prescription, so do you think I should stick to taking one half each day just to be safe?
Its hard to know when we dont know the exact milligrams. The starting dose for Zoloft is usually 50mg. The highest recommended dose is 200mg.

If you decide to take it then start on 50mg/day. Zoloft will take several weeks of regular daily use before you know if its working.

·
nardil user since 2006
339 Posts
http://www.mentalhealth.com/drug/p30-z02.html

recommended dosage starting off:
The administration should be initiated at 50 mg daily and increased gradually if needed, noting carefully the clinical response and any evidence of intolerance. It should be kept in mind that there may be a lag in therapeutic response. Increasing the dosage rapidly does not normally shorten this latent period and may increase the incidence of side effects.

Initial Treatment:
As no clear dose-response relationship has been demonstrated, a dose of 50 mg/day is recommended as the initial dose. A gradual increase in dosage may be considered if no clinical improvement is observed. Based on pharmacokinetic parameters, steady-state sertraline plasma levels are achieved after approximately 1 week of once daily dosing; accordingly, dose changes, if necessary, should be made at intervals of at least 1 week. Doses should not exceed a maximum of 200 mg/day.

and i don't think a p.doc can recommend a 'right' SSRI for anyone.. why do you thinnk ppl that took several SSRI's that didn't work call it ssri merrygoround, or SSRI roulette. its all just trial and error. another thing, if u get off SSRI's, taper off from it, don't quit it cold turkey

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its hard to know when we dont know the exact milligrams. The starting dose for Zoloft is usually 50mg. The highest recommended dose is 200mg.

If you decide to take it then start on 50mg/day. Zoloft will take several weeks of regular daily use before you know if its working.
Forgive me for the stupid question. But how can you tell if it's working?

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
no - i don't think you should take them.

i'd always advise against treating yourself with medication before seeing any kind of doctor. they can moniter closely to how the medication is affecting you, they can recommend the best med to start off with, they can give advice for other non-med method of treatments, etc.
it's very rare, but SSRIs have been known to trigger symptoms that could basically worsen depression or suicidal thoughts. also, if you have a history of bipolar, or you may suspect you are, then your SSRI usage should be monitered even closer (prozac made me dysphoric/manic, and 10x more suicidal. it was prescribed and monitered but it still messed me up and i was too "out of it" to realize what was happening).

i'd really advise against taking it without consulting a psychiatrist first. is there anything in particular that is stopping you from seeing a doctor?

·
Banned
642 Posts
The bigger question is what are you going to do once these two bottles are gone? Weaning off any of these is really not fun

·
Registered
62 Posts
Doctors go to school, for a long time. It's a reasonable assumption that at least some of this schooling rubbed off on them. It is not a reasonable assumption that you know more about this medication than a doctor, unless perhaps you are also a doctor.

·
nardil user since 2006
339 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the biggest issue with this: Zoloft is a drug that you have to take long term on a daily basis (much longer than 2 months), is physically addictive, and stopping it cold turkey (which will happen when you run out of pills) is not a good thing. If I were you I wouldn't take any of them. If you really want an SSRI like Zoloft, doctors will practically throw them at you 5 minutes after walking into their office if you tell them you have anxiety/depression. Don't take an SSRI without a prescription... it's a bad idea.
take longer than 2 months? never heard of this, what makes this any special than other types of SSRI's. physically addictive?? SSRI's are not physically addictive. where are you getting your source from? maybe you're getting the words, dependence, addictive, tolerance mixed up. already mentioned to taper off slowly than cold turkey. and yes, general practitioners, will throw any SSRI at you after you explain for 10 minutes that you are fearful in public places, you blush and sweat easily, you know its irrational yet you can't control how you feel, and talking to a doctor about this is shooting your anxiety through the roof. oh thanks doc, i get 10 pills. sweet, this will last me less than a week.

since your able to get a constant supply of zoloft, try it for 2 months max, and if you feel no difference (you will know if its working or not trust me), taper off from it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
SSRI's are considered non-addictive because they don't cause cravings. The withdrawal is a ***** though.

And to reiterate what has already been said, if you go see ANY doctor capable of writing a prescription they'll throw fistfulls of whatever SSRI you want at you.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
The way I ended up trying Zoloft was that my brother gave me two bottles that he didn't want as he'd switched to another SSRI. This was a number of years back so this was brand name Zoloft. He had two factory-sealed bottles from Pfizer: 100 mg x 100 tablets each, so 200 pills in total.

I asked my psychiatrist if it was even worth trying. He thought it was reasonable to give it a shot. With my history I didn't expect it to work and I very much doubt he did either (otherwise he probably would have prescribed it himself well before then). I assume he figured it was worth a try since I had all these free pills that are basically harmless and there was the tiny chance they might actually help.

I started out of 100 mg, was up to 200 mg within a week. I stayed on it for a total of 13 weeks. I went to 300 mg daily for 30 consecutive days to really beat this dead horse. It never worked and I quickly tapered from 300 mg to zero within a week with no withdrawal.

The only thing Zoloft did was kill sex drive. Yet, unlike, other SSRIs it didn't prevent orgasm. Now there is irony -- a drug that let's your have an orgasm, but makes sure you have no desire to orgasm. While on Paxil you still want an orgasm, but there isn't a chance in hell of having one. Can anybody see why I hate big pharma?

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Forgive me for the stupid question. But how can you tell if it's working?
It's working if you feel better when taking it than you did when not taking it. Is your anxiety level lower? Do you feel less depressed? Things like that. How you feel are subjective measures of course -- this isn't like a blood pressure med where checking your blood pressure provides objective numbers to measure effect.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
My uncle mentioned that they sometimes cause suicidal thoughts, and I told him that I'd tell him if I start experiencing anything like that. So, I really don't think it should matter if I end up telling him or my doctor, as long as I have someone to tell. I know it's definitely better to have a doctor monitor these things, but if anything out of the ordinary starts happening, then I can go see a doctor. If I need more, my uncle can get me some, and if he can't, then I can get some from the doctor, if there as easy to get as you guys suggest. If they're going to start me on 50 MG anyway, which is what my uncle advised me to take, then I don't see why there's any problem.
well, the thing is sometimes when you have really bad suicidal thoughts, you won't want to tell anyone, even though you promised you would. you might say now "well once i notice a bad change i'll see a doctor" but you don't know what your thought processing will be like if you do have a bad reaction, you might suddenly decide you don't want to go through with seeing a doctor and instead your mood just gets worse. etc etc.

getting treatment through your uncle really doesn't seem that beneficial in the long term, let alone the two months that you'll have the meds for. you need to see someone who is highly trained in psychiatrict meds and who can tell you the best treatment options for your problems (maybe your problem is more anxiety than depression and another med would be better.. who knows).

sorry to sound like i am lecturing you, i don't mean to, i just think there might be more harm than good in taking meds on your own and not seeing a doctor about it.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
you need to see someone who is highly trained in psychiatrict meds and who can tell you the best treatment options for your problems (maybe your problem is more anxiety than depression and another med would be better.. who knows).
Zoloft & other SSRIs are tossed at just about every mental ill under the sun except ADD, psychosis, and mania.

Patients may like to think their "highly trained" doctor knows all, yet he's in many cases simply trying one drug after another in what is nothing more than a medical game of trial & error.

As for the risk of SSRIs resulting in suicidal ideation a large segment of the medical community thinks the FDA did more harm than good by putting that black box warning on all modern ADs. The warning resulted in less prescriptions to kids & teens and coincided with an increased suicide rate in that age group. While a causal link between less SSRI use and higher suicide rates hasn't been scientifically proven, it's certainly not unreasonable to think that such a link may well exist.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I would not do this without actually speaking to a doctor first. I took Zoloft by way of a friend and had a bad experience. A doctor can tell you what factors will affect your use of the drug, what dosage is right for you etc.,your uncle may not know such important things

1 - 20 of 25 Posts