Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, Im new here and I would like to explain a few things about me and why I think I have social anxiety..( a bit to read ).

My mother has OCD and my fathers a transvestite. My mother was always very aggressive and strange when growing up, never physically abused me, but mentally for me she sure did. I didnt realise my dad was a transvestite until around aged 9 which caused all sorts of problems in my family. My father lost if due to my mothers aggressive attitude and went around the street in womens clothes! The police came and told him never to do it again, and thats when I knew! I felt like a spare part, all my mother and father did was argue, I was in between.

Anyway, ive had friends on and off through out my young life, someone great, others bad. But the last friend I had at about aged 17 was bad. I smoked weed, drank and tried to chill out and get away from my parents! I got in with actually a fairly decent group who seemingly went through a similar thing to me, but in this group I ment a bad one, which I didnt realise untill it was to late.

Me and this person hung around drinking, talking, and occasionally mixed with others.. it was fine to start off with, but after a while he started to react badly to the beer. He started to fight with me all the time, I gave a second and third chance.. it ended up very bad. What happened made me lose all trust ever in what I thought was a friend - to me it was terrible.

Ive always been in and out of friends, met good ones, met bad ones, but now at age 21 im not bothering to do anything, I dont actually feel as though I can. I will meet only the ones I know well, which is only 3 people. I will see my aunt and uncle alot as I can surley trust them. But meeting new people seems impossible for so many reasons!

Please advise if you think I have social anxiety, and the best ideas to get a good life going. Thanks for reading.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Hey jamesey welcome. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
These are the DSM-IV diagnostic criteria for social anxiety disorder, all of which must be met.

A. A marked and persistent fear of one or more social performance situations in which the person is exposed to unfamiliar people or to possible scrutiny by others. The individual fears that he or she will act in a way (or show anxiety symptoms) that will be humiliating or embarrassing.

B. Exposure to the social or performance situation almost invariably provokes an immediate anxiety response. This response may take the form of a situationally bound or situationally people predisposed Panic Attack.

C. The person recognizes that their fear is excessive or unreasonable.

D. The social or performance situation is avoided, although it is sometimes endured with dread (intense anxiety or distress).

E. The avoidance, anxious anticipation of, or distress in, the feared social or performance situation interferes significantly with the person's normal routine, occupational (academic) functioning, social life, or if the person is markedly distressed about having the phobia.

F. In individuals under age 18 years, the duration is at least 6 months.

G. The fear or avoidance is not due to the direct physiological effects of a substance or a general medical condition and is not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., Panic Disorder, Separation Anxiety Disorder, Body Dysmorphic Disorder, a Pervasive Developmental Disorder, or Schizoid Personality Disorder).

H. If a general medical condition or another mental disorder is present, the fear in Criterion A or the avoidance in Criterion D, is unrelated to it (e.g., the fear is not of Stuttering, trembling in Parkinson's disease, or exhibiting abnormal eating behavior in Anorexia Nervosa).

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
:wel

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
You need some therapy to truly discern what your issues are. I empathize with you as I come from a less than normal family.

I dont know if you have SA and no one here can determine that; only you and/or a qualified therapist can discern that.

In any case, if feel that SAS has something to offer you I welcome you, as a longtime member, to our group.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hey, and welcome to the Forum.

Ash09's Post is really informative.

I'm posting about your father.

My father lost if due to my mothers aggressive attitude and went around the street in womens clothes!
I of course don't know your father, but your mother's actions normally would have nothing to do with your father being a Transvestite. Just a little clarity for you to think about.

·
I Want To Believe!
102 Posts
Well, from what you mention so far it sounds like you are just taking a break from people and have some trust issues. If you do not have any physical symptoms such as shaking, breathing difficulties, passing out, etc. when around crowds or certain groups I would say you may not have SA. Either way stick around, having a support group will help!

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
Welcome, Jamesey! :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts