Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't like eating in public places---- One reason is because I don't eat fast food and TWO--- I think people looking at me eat or me looking at them eat is disgusting, or just THINKING about people eating (including myself) makes me disgusted and makes me want to vomit. This reaction only happens a few times. I eat with my mouth closed. I hate people who talk while eating or laughing, etc... Everyone should SHUT UP and NOT MOVE when they eat-- and don't look at each other while eating cause this is disrespectful and noisy thing to Do.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I know the feeling you are describing, but I only feel it when I'm sad or depressed or having some serious anxiety about something...

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I don't have this problem. I think eating is traditionally a social gathering where people get together and talk and bond with each other so I don't agree with you about people having to be quiet. Have you looked this up at all? It might be some kind of separate disorder.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have this problem. I think eating is traditionally a social gathering where people get together and talk and bond with each other so I don't agree with you about people having to be quiet. Have you looked this up at all? It might be some kind of separate disorder.
Seperate disorder-----lol. I said I only think like this a few times. When I eat in public I just put my head down and eat my food so I dont have to look at other people eating, or them looking at me cause then I'm goin to get disgusted. Gross.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Yeah, sometimes I think like this too.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
I used to never eat in public but I have really gotten over that. I dont care what anyone thinks of my eating. I only find complete slobs without manners gross. Otherwise I am usually too involved with what is going on at my table to even notice others.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i really don't like the act of eating. there isn't much i enjoy about it. it tastes good briefly, but after a swallow my food i don't want to be reminded that i ate. i hate that there's an aftertaste (even slightly), that sometimes lingers after using mouthwash; i hate the sound of eating; i hate feeling it in my mouth after, even if its just a small crumb; i hate the smell, either before i make it, when i eat, ESPECIALLY afterwards; i hate the mess, it drives me crazy when even a small amount of food goes somewhere; i hate the feeling after i eat when i can feel it in my stomach, etc.

i feel a bit like a neurotic ***** when i complain about this. it's never ever a judgement on other people, i don't think "ew, that person is eating" and its great that people love doing it.

its just like a chore for me. i'd love if i can just take a few pills or smoke a few cigarettes in replacement of a meal (i mean, that actually have all the nutrients. my appetite doens't need to be suppressed any more). it doesn't have anything to do with anxiety either.

i feel like i might seem kind of rude to say this to anyone in person since i'm not criticizing anyone who enjoys eating at all. i tend to keep it to myself and avoid looking disgusted.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Finally someone who agrees with me that eating around other people is repulsive (most of the time). i really hate when people pig out. i dont mind being around ppl who eat really really slow though.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i think i just hate it now because it reminds me of those binge eating periods i'd occaisonally have for years where i'd eat until i felt in physical pain and would try to make myself throw up. since there is always a lot of self-hate and guilt related to that and somehow even though now it has nothing to do with my weight or body or calories like it used to, there's still the dislike related to it though it's mostly just changed to eating and food in general

·
Registered
2,804 Posts
I feel disgusted by it too. But I'm easily disgusted I have a weak stomach and a bit of an eating disorder. It's worse for me when I'm feeling depressed or anxious too. I have to tell myself constantly at the moment that it's normal to eat. To eat and keep it down. Sometimes I see people eating just walking around and the thought pops into my head "why are they allowed to just eat like that, so overtly?" I hear myself thinking it and that's crazy!! Or when you walk past food places and you can smell the food I think... "I shouldn't have to put up with that, it's offensive to some people"... Yeah I think that's insane too. If I've eaten it makes me feel sick about it, if I've not eaten it makes me not want to. I try to rationalize it by thinking I'm going to be eating at some point today and I wouldn't want people thinking that way about me, and thinking at some point I'll get hungry enough and shouldn't feel sick about eating. I get really annoyed that people can eat when they're depressed or stressed.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Sometimes I'm embarrased about eating a burger while the person with me is eating something else. It's mostly because by the end my hands are kind of greasy and there's sauce that dripped on the table and in the corners of my mouth. So I look kinda ridiculous.

I guess that's why they call it "Sloppy Joes".

Another thing i find somewhat revolting is seeing a superfat, obese, person at the food court. Their thighs are often wider than the chair they're sitting on :eek:.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I hate people who eat with their mouth open. My mother ate with her mouth open and gobbled and smacked her lips and always went on about how delicious everything was and that's probably the reason I find it so disgusting. It doesn't help that I was raised to eat a lot and always clear my plate, so I have a lot of trouble losing weight too.

Now I live with my boyfriend and he eats with his mouth open too, ARGH. He refuses to change his ways, as well!

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Yes, eating sounds are a big peeve of mine.

·
giggling ******
11,070 Posts
Human fueling is one of those necessities we must living with. But don't worry yet, we'll all be dead. Yes, when there's flies around our head, it only means we're dead.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
We have to eat to stay alive. :stu

·
Registered
2 Posts
You are ****ed up. Anorexia.

You are really ****ed up. It's anorexia, or bulimia,look it up on google before its late.

i really don't like the act of eating. there isn't much i enjoy about it. it tastes good briefly, but after a swallow my food i don't want to be reminded that i ate. i hate that there's an aftertaste (even slightly), that sometimes lingers after using mouthwash; i hate the sound of eating; i hate feeling it in my mouth after, even if its just a small crumb; i hate the smell, either before i make it, when i eat, ESPECIALLY afterwards; i hate the mess, it drives me crazy when even a small amount of food goes somewhere; i hate the feeling after i eat when i can feel it in my stomach, etc.

i feel a bit like a neurotic ***** when i complain about this. it's never ever a judgement on other people, i don't think "ew, that person is eating" and its great that people love doing it.

its just like a chore for me. i'd love if i can just take a few pills or smoke a few cigarettes in replacement of a meal (i mean, that actually have all the nutrients. my appetite doens't need to be suppressed any more). it doesn't have anything to do with anxiety either.

i feel like i might seem kind of rude to say this to anyone in person since i'm not criticizing anyone who enjoys eating at all. i tend to keep it to myself and avoid looking disgusted.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes. The act of eating is disgusting. But hey they human being is disgusting in many ways. We take a dump, a piss. we have a dirty nose. Your ******* smells bad even 1 hr after takin a shower. Your feet smells bad after walking... You're body farts.

But hey death is coming anyways so dont be sad
Being a human really sucks, thats why u gotta meditate. so when u die, you're not reborn into yet another disgusting person.

Read about buddism
AND MOST OF ALL.................. LET LIFE BE

1 - 20 of 31 Posts