Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would right wing conservatives elect some hippie wanderer as their next president? I think the concept of peace and harmony would be too difficult and radical to grasp considering we are a nation in love with war and killing. Truth be told, American society is too Christian for Jesus.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Just to clarify...I'm an atheist, lol, dont wan't anyone to get the wrong impression. Being that I am an atheist, I subscribe to logic and reason so I think it was a reasonable and logical question to ask even though the existence of such an individual like Jesus is questionable itself. I'm also an insomniac and very bored.

·
Registered
10,466 Posts
Well if Jesus returned I don't think there would be any government anymore. Secondly, I wouldn't think Jesus would run for President. Jesus was a simple man. He was a carpenter and fisherman.

·
Banned
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not all and not the majority either. However, they have strong political lobby groups and a strong presence in politics in general. After all, this is a Christian nation according to many leading conservatives..whatever the hell that means...

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
If Jesus put himself up for presidency I don't think he'd be doing his job right.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ha, Jesus as president. Couldn't be so worse than Bush. Except, maybe The Crusades might start up again. I'd prefer Xenu to Jesus.

·
Registered
8,134 Posts
Would right wing conservatives elect some hippie wanderer as their next president? I think the concept of peace and harmony would be too difficult and radical to grasp considering we are a nation in love with war and killing. Truth be told, American society is too Christian for Jesus.
I understand what you are asking. And there is no way that the current Republican party could elect someone with the values that Jesus demonstrated in the Bible.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I guess it depends if we recognized him as Jesus or not :lol

Assuming not, it probably wouldn't even matter. Jesus had quite the acid tongue and the establishment would thus declare him "unelectable" and he wouldn't even make it in front of the American people.

·
gone
5,224 Posts
I don't know. I think some of the ones who would most like that might find they aren't getting quite what they thought. There are many different conceptions of Jesus out there. Ever notice that people who go by the WWJD slogan often come to completely different conclusions about W, in fact, JWD? Hehe.

This reminds me of some lyrics Woody Guthrie wrote that were finally turned into a song on the Mermaid Avenue album by Billy Bragg and Wilco:

Let's have Christ our President
Let us have him for our king
Cast your vote for the Carpenter
That they call the Nazarene

The only way
We could ever beat
These crooked politician men

Is to cast the moneychangers
Out of the temple
Put the Carpenter in

Oh it's Jesus Christ our President
God above our king
With a job and pension for young and old
We will make hallelujah ring

Every year we waste enough
To feed the ones who starve
We build our civilization up
And we shoot it down with wars

But with the Carpenter
On the seat
Way up in the capitol town

The USA
Be on the way
Prosperity bound

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Jesus ranks as the #129 most common male name in the US. Karl ranks #228. Barack is so rare that it doesn't even get a ranking.

As for last names, Obama is so rare it's not ranked either. My last name ranks #3,415.

Guess the answer depends in part on if you mean THE Jesus or just any dude named Jesus.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
Jesus believed in paying taxes and in a separation of church and state. There's absolutely no way he'd win on that platform.

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
He could probably run on any platform he wanted to and win just by name recognition alone.

I wonder which party he would affiliate himself with. :D

·
Registered
2,419 Posts
Are Christians in the US right-wing conservatives?
The vocal ones are.

To answer the OP's question, if it was a choice between Jesus and Satan, and if Jesus was a simple man while Satan ran on an anti-gay platform, the Christians would look at Satan's horns and say "why, what interesting hair you have, Mr. Santani, sir" and then vote for Him in droves.

Disclaimer: I'm an atheist.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
Wouldn't vote for him.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts