Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's hard for me to know the difference between joking in a sarcastic tone or being serious. I know friends usually say mean things to each other and don't really mean it, and only do it because they're friends. I've seen both people laugh and I know they are teasing with each other. I think it's joking around only when both people are laughing and nobody feels hurt.

But whenever my "friends" joke around and says some nasty things to me, it's really hard for me to tell if he's actually serious about it because it sure does seem like it. They don't say it the same way to another one of their friends. They say it in a playful way to them and a hurtful way to me. It's like my "friend" says nasty things to me and I treat it like sarcasm and laugh with them but I secretly wonder if they mean what they say.

And it almost seems like I'm the target of my "friends" jokes. I don't mind being teased from my "friends" but it seems like they mean what they say by their tone of voice and it never stops. Anybody else the same way? Is this related to SA?

·
Registered
473 Posts
OMG I can totally relate to this. This is one of my biggest issues.
It doesn't matter who says it I take everything so seriously and get upset over jokes so quick. It is almost like I have a problem distinguishing peoples tones, if it sounds serious to me then who ever is saying it has to mean it.
I hate it!!

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
i get that too. i laugh about it then something in my head is saying 'well a joke must be based on something, so maybe he/she does mean it?'

but yeah i have a hard time dealing with those insulting jokes people make to eachother. i wish i could just laugh them off(which i do) but i still get these negative thoughts in my head that i can't stop.

·
serious
340 Posts
I don't think anyone should find being the but of a joke all that funny.
Unless you are really close friends, like my best friend for 20 years, it's fine, because he knows me so well and I know why he's saying it, and it's like a shared joke.
But my outer ring of friends, I wouldn't be very impressed if one had a go at me.
If I did it to them, then fair game, but I don't. So I would just smart arse them back, a little bit nastier.
Childish yes, but there it is. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts