Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do, sometimes more than other times. I just started working in IT at my job. I love computers and learning about them and i like the job and getting the experience, but i worry alot about not doing something accurate at work. IT involves alot and you cant just be trained on it in a week or two.They hired me knowing that i had no experience, but the IT manager new i was starting IT classes in the fall and he wanted to train me an give me the experience, which i am very grateful for. I just wish i new more of what i was doing. There are somethings I know how to do, but a whole lot I dont and I hate having to ask questions..i feel i must get on their nerves even though they dont act like it. sometimes when i do ask questions my words dont come out right cause i am nervous. i have been doing this for a month now an there is still so much i have to learn, which i guess is just part of it. i just dont wanna make a mistake or be asked how to fix something and not know how. Does anyone else deal with this? struggle with trying to be perfect on the job and not make mistakes in front of others? When you do make mistakes how do you react and feel?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I'm in exactly the same shoes, tackling the legal industry despite having no experience but having spent time with contract and agency laws through a private MBA course in my own time.

I've spent a total of 3 months in property conveyance and was dismissed from my first firm within a month, only to be snapped up the very next morning by a competitor. I have currently little worry despite the fact that I'm, somehow, managing the entire firm's transactions pertaining to private properties single handedly and that I have yes, encountered merely the tip of the iceberg in the world of conveyancing and the legal industry in general.

I introduced myself as a student and pretty much got strange looks from my future employers who wondered where to place me - however after the first day I was pretty much at home adopting a firefighting role to save impossible deadlines or mediating with the more demanding clients which may be either banks or private persons we represent.

I work with the intention to remain completely anonymous (even if I'm not) and to always avoid unnecessary liabilities. I will not volunteer to help persons outside my immediate operating unit and only act on instructions given by the department's lawyer.

Pretty cold, but that's exactly what you do to prevent the onset of office politics ruining your career. Play by the book.

To summarise, these few tenets of my current employment made me feel that I've found my proper place within the legal industry:

1. People need help, and appreciate it. I deliver said help, and receive rewards accordingly.
2. Seniors are willing to show patience and ratify the actions of juniors even if incorrect, because they are in a learning process and acting within the bounds of seniors' instruction.
3. People respect each other because they need each other if they want to meet deadlines (and avoid paying hefty legal penalties).
4. It's a female working environment. Tenets of compassion and service quality are valued. That makes all the difference to me.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts