Votes: 26 29.5%
  • No

Votes: 62 70.5%
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend in the past went to college for 4 years and got a Bachelor's degree. It's been now over 6 years and he still works at Target. I have a better job than he does, and I didn't even go to college. I only need a high school diploma to get the job I have. I don't even like working especially because of the social interaction. I remain after 3 years the mysterious guy since I don't talk. There are a few people at the job who also have college degrees and can't find a job and have to pay for loans. It's not really the unemployment rate to blame. It's more to do with the wrong career, and a crappy college they attended which didn't give them the best training. These people usually have to work 2 jobs in order to pay these loans, that would suck.

After all of these years out of high school and taking 25 credits of college core courses, I've come to the conclusion that there isn't anything I want to study. I'm not smart enough to be a doctor or anything like that. I didn't even read a book by myself only until I got in college. Yes, it's embarrassing, I know. It's the combination of my lack of attention in class, distractions in class (class clowns taking over), my parents not being able to teach me anything or cared enough to emphasize the importance of education, but in the end I'm the one to blame. Like I said I don't consider myself smart, but that doesn't mean I'm an idiot. I think if I started out since a young kid I would have been able to reach my full potential.

·
Regretful still.
1,595 Posts
No, I don't regret it right now. I might at some point in the future though, if I'm unable to find work.

I have a friend just like yours. Went to NYU, graduated with mountains of debt, and works at a department store. Seems like a waste to me.

·
waiting to bloom
8,863 Posts
yes I really only went to college because that was what's expected. I didn't do anything right at college. I didn't live the college life. I am feeling better about getting good grades, but I know this whole degree isn't going to do much. I wish I wasn't forced to go. That my parents realized that college isn't what it used to be anymore. Or I wished I did college better.

·
Bye SAS
1,774 Posts
No I don't regret it, seeing as I just started lol. But I don't regret the decision I made to go I guess... :stu

·
Geese
20,768 Posts
I don't, I was lucky enough to know what I wanted to do and how to get there. Uni was a stepping stone and has been great.

·
text ghost
719 Posts
I really hate that I feel so pressured to attend, despite the fact that I'm taking random courses because I've no idea what career would suit me. My parents see any kind of degree as a somehow 'golden ticket' to a good and happy, financially secure life, and more importantly, to a job that leaves me fulfilled. Case in point, Mom keeps bringing up being a teacher or maintaining that an English degree is perfectly fine, as long as I have it.

I went to uni straight after highschool, dropped out after one semester, moved around a bit, and now I'm in the latter half of my second first year. I'm left entirely confused by their constant insistence that I stay in school and by my own want to please them, my fear of working forever at a corner store, and my fear of wasting time and money. And at the end of the day, every day, all I am is stressed to the point of tears.

·
going hazy
8,724 Posts
It's something I'll regret for the rest of my life. If you're a teenager, whatever you do, don't feel pressured to jump into post-secondary education by anyone right away.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Well what did he get? Obviously if u get a worthless or extremely impacted degree it's gonna be hard to find a job...

·
Big Boo's Haunt
3,975 Posts
Nope, now that I've got an awesome job in the field that I studied, I'm really glad I went to uni.

·
o_O
6,024 Posts
No. College is virtually my only way to gain skill and become qualified for a decent job. Otherwise I'd have no hope but to apply to a burger joint or some sh**.

·
Registered
10,667 Posts
I regret wasting one year in college because I attended culinary school and it was a big waste of my time. not to mention it was far from my house too. Driving there every day. Wasted my money, gasoline, and time. It was also a f*cking bad experience thanks to the sh*tty scumbags that made it like that for me. Such a waste of my time. I am never going back.

·
Penguin
4,506 Posts
Well all my degree has done for me so far is prevent me getting hired to jobs because the employers felt I was 'over-qualified', and excluded me from others because they were government-funded apprenticeships which exclude graduates because apparently we already have enough 'advantages'. So basically yes. But on the other hand I suppose graduate jobs are open to me in the future, maybe it will turn out to have been worth it.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I don't regret it one bit. I do, however, regret how I've handled myself for the duration of a good chunk of it.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I regret the choosing the course I did more than anything, I wish I had chosen a different course entirely. I think the problem with having to choose a career path at 18 years old is that a lot of people haven't a clue what they'd really like to do when they're 18 years old. I think a lot of people would be better off spending a few years in the real world (i.e outside the structured world of formal education) in order to get to know themselves and what they really want better.

·
Government Watch List
276 Posts
Freakin yes! Every time there is something I want, I can't have it. Why? Because of my damn college loan. I dropped out and I'm never going back. I am glad that I stopped before the loan got bigger, so I have a chance to pay it off in two years if I get that extra money. I teach myself by reading books and the internet. Besides, I just want to be a housewife and have children with a loving husband who I can just make love to and feed him and take care of when he's sick etc.

·
roarrrr
4,876 Posts
Seeing as the current reason I'm in college is simply to buy me time while I figure out what the hell I'm doing, I'd say I don't regret it quite yet, as I'm still in panic mode of "what the f-k am I going to do". I'm in a psychology major, but lets be real, there's no way I'd get to master's level which is where one needs to be at least to be able to do anything with it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts