Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else do this? I act stupid at work I suppose so people leave me alone and don't attempt to start conversations etc, I find in the work place there are so many strong personalities all out to butt kiss so I don't even bother trying, I also do it at family get togethers etc. I find even at work if I hear people discussing something and they don't have a clue I won't put them right, even if they ask me something and I know the answer I will just act stupid. Someone once said its better to say nothing and let people think your stupid than to open your mouth and prove them right, that seems to be the philosophy I live by.

·
Hopeless Realist
48 Posts
When I read the title of your post, I thought you were going to ask, has anyone ever acted stupid to avoid looking like you have social anxiety.

I don't think I've ever acted stupid intentionally. I would rather have people think I'm a jerk, or that I'm not interested in what they're saying, than for them to think I'm stupid. My slightly-above-average intelligence is one of the only things I have some measure of personal pride in. But I'm usually not going to butt into a conversation if I can help it. I would rather have people approach me first.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts