Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my SA and maybe everyone's is related to not wanting to do something "stupid" when other people's focus is on us. I've realized that I notice other people doing things that would make me feel bad, usually in class, such as:

People saying "like" every other word...
People's weird hand movements when their trying to talk in front of the class...
People mixing up words...

Meaningless stuff like that I notice. I usually feel empathetic towards them, but I wonder do others even notice...do they themselves even notice? Maybe we have a skill of picking up on things like that?

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
Well, everyone has little things that annoy them, pet peeves. The ones that annoy me are people not using correct grammar for countable and uncountable nouns: using "much" instead of "many" and "less" instead of "fewer." However, I know that I'm just a bit of a pedant, and no-one else cares.

So I think the majority of people won't notice or care if you mix up words or use weird hand movements, and the few who do care will know that it's them, not you.

(Oh, and if you want to annoy a grammar pedant who's just corrected you, say "Sorry. I'll try and do it fewer.")

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,821 Posts
When other people have shaking hands or mix up words I honestly think little of it most times but I am very critical of myself when I do these types of things. I think this is part of the negative thinking, letting others off but not yourself

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.