Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realized, not that long ago, that my social anxiety stems from my low self esteem and distorted image of myself. I mean, I don't think I'll EVER be anxiety-free completely. I've been dealing with panic attacks since I was only eight years old (maybe even younger).... but I think there's a difference between anxiety and having self esteem issues.

There was a time when I was very happy with myself, and it made going out and being around people fairly easy and enjoyable. I was never extremely sociable, but I was very confident.

For example, I could be in a room full of people I didn't know and not feel weird at all. It's hard to explain, but that awkward feeling didn't exist back then. If I did something stupid, it wouldn't embarrass me, because I was very comfortable with myself. I didn't care what others thought.

But when I developed low esteem, from gaining a significant amount of weight, it changed me completely, and my anxiety level heightened dramatically.

I began to focus way too much on other people's thoughts, how I carried myself, the way I look, etc... And that's when I developed social anxiety. It went way beyond just having anxiety from time to time.

So... do you guys think that if you felt completely happy with yourself (inside and out) your social anxiety would go away? I mean, isn't that what social anxiety is? When you go out, don't you usually worry about how you look to other people?

·
infinite silence
350 Posts
Yes I think my anxiety would go away if I was completely happy with myself. The problem is it's impossible to feel that way, especially in this society where every commercial and every magazine you see reminds you that your skin isn't clear enough, your teeth aren't white enough etc. As we age we lose our looks so we are always trying to hold on to what our society worships youth and beauty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes I think my anxiety would go away if I was completely happy with myself. The problem is it's impossible to feel that way, especially in this society where every commercial and every magazine you see reminds you that your skin isn't clear enough, your teeth aren't white enough etc. As we age we lose our looks so we are always trying to hold on to what our society worships youth and beauty.
I think that's the hardest part of all: liking yourself despite not liking your physical features.

But it's kind of sad, when I think about it. Here I am freaking out over my acne when there's people out there who have third degree burns or disfigured faces.

I think we should appreciate what god gave us. You know? But it's much easier said than done. :/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts