Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

Do you like the name you where born with?

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well? I'm pretty indifferent about my birth name (it's the same as one of the main characters in twilight) I also have no middle name so i've never really had the option of being called anything else.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i was named after my grandmothers cat.... im not even kidding. when i was little i always wanted to be named zooey lol but now i like chelsey just fine.

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
I have one of the most generic names so I was never really fond of it, but I was named after my uncle, so that's the only cool thing about it.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Yes I do.

·
She-Wolf
5,985 Posts
i'd prefer another name - when i was growing up i had a speech impediment, making it difficult to pronounce "r" and (not as bad but) "th". so, i hated having to say my name since it wouldn't sound correct. (my name is Heather)

i can obviously pronounce it now, but i'm still very self-conscious about it. it makes me sound very young. i especially don't like it when i meet a guy, and i say my name and they have to ask twice because i say it quietly. when i speak quickly my pronunciation of "r" is still off, people have commented that i sound like a kid. ****.

i'm still not completely confident when saying it, but its a bit better. i just have to make sure to speak loudly, slowly, and project my voice, instead of mumbling it and saying it really quickly.

·
dazed and confused
960 Posts
I don't like mine too much (Kimberly), but I guess it could be worse.

·
Banned
3,608 Posts
I don't like the way its spelled. I've been going by my middle name since I was a kid. There are other spellings I like, but since I've gone by my middle name for so long now I stick with that.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,055 Posts
My name is of West African heritage & I've always loved names that are more unique as opposed to the more common ones so in that regard yes I like mine. I do prefer my middle name of late though, that is also if West African Heritage. The only drawback is having to correct people on pronunciation but at this point I'm used to it, so I don't get angry or anything

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
As a little kid I hated it, but I've come to like it. Karl is such a simple no-nonsense name. You can't shorten it into some nickname as it's already down to only 4 letters to start with. It's not an exotic name that makes people say "what?", but at the same time it's not so exceedingly common that we have a whole herd of Karls on SAS (the other day I welcomed two more Daves to the 20 we must already have around here). I also like the Germanic 'K' spelling -- even if 95% of people want to spell it with a 'C' -- as that spelling goes nicely with my Germanic surname.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts