Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m just gonna go out and presume most of us are single either since forever or for a very long time.
How do you feel about watching romantic movies? Does it make you feel bad or sad? Maybe the opposite? perhaps it makes you dream or fantasize?

This question popped up after watching the film “terms of endearment“. Debra Winger‘s character is having an affair with John Litgow, while it wasn’t overtly romantic I did kind of enjoy the scenes they had together. I’ve always wondered what kind of person I would be in a romance, I will probably be daydreaming about this. So I guess it makes me fantasize but it usually ends with me thinking “ nah relationships are not my thing”.

·
SUS Member
10,813 Posts
I watch and read romance from time to time. I usually enjoy romcoms, for the most part, and have seen a lot of those, but don't always enjoy serious romance. Sometimes it just makes me feel worse. Envy is a big issue for me, and that can interfere with my enjoyment at times. I tend to be pretty cynical about a lot of it, but I watch/read it anyway, lol.

I do want a relationship, and am generally happier when I'm in one, but a relationship with me is not anybody else's thing, haha. I do daydream about it a lot, though.

·
Loathed Loiterer
8,250 Posts
For awhile I enjoyed some of them. Especially romantic comedies. But the novelty of them can wear off once I watched a fair amount of them and each new one starts feeling repetitive. Especially the big budget ones where they will stick a similar safe formula. But well acted and scripted romantic comedies, usually the independent ones with a more unique plot, I still appreciate time to time. I actually like a lot of the Jane Austen book turned movie ones.

·
Registered
Unbreakable
3,439 Posts
The higher you are on the ratings scale the higher your chances are to experience "romance" the way hollywood movies portray romance. Yeah, I like the casual romantic movie the same way I like those documentaries about the life of the ultra wealthy. It's nice to peak into other realities. In another life perhaps

·
lagrimas negras
1,752 Posts
Out of all the movies available for me to watch, romantic movies are near the bottom of my list. Sometimes I will watch a romantic comedy if I've heard about it and it looks good.

·
bipolar
17,099 Posts
I'm not a fan - not because they make me jealous or anything I just find them pretty boring. Nowadays I tend to like thrillers or crime movies.

·
Visceral
1,552 Posts
Not a fan of romantic movies, but I don't hate them neither. There are some good romantic movies out there such as Edward Scissor Hands, Lost In Translation, Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind, Punch Drunk Love, Bram Stocker's Dracula. Even though blended with another genres, they still are romantic movies.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
I don't watch movies very often in general but there are some romantic films I've watched before or liked though I don't tend to re-watch them. I watched Love Actually and I think I found it OK, but not really a favourite film. As the previous poster brought up I also liked Edward Scissorhands and Eternal Sunshine of The Spotless Mind. Also Pride and Prejudice (2005,) The Time Travellers Wife and technically Let The Right One In but that's a bit of an odd one. I prefer reading fanfiction though, that's been more my go to for romance stuff.

I feel like I could potentially get into a lot of horror romance, or dark fantasy romance, or sci-fi romance as those genres combined are probably pretty good and based on fanfiction tropes I like, but not stuff like Twilight.

At a certain point romance doesn't exactly work though... I'd watch some weird attempt at combining Silent Hill with romance but it's already very sexual themed.

At one point as a teenager I was really into the idea of robot romance but there wasn't much like that really. In terms of free fiction I think the only thing I stumbled on was someone's slash fanfic of some sci-fi author maybe Arthur C. Clarke or Isaac Asimov who knows, I don't read actual sci-fi. I tried to read Dune a few years ago and it didn't really work I only managed to read 10%

Oh I watched part of a Japanese drama I think about a woman who gets a robot boyfriend, and then I think also some other drama about robots later that I've forgotten the details of now. I just have vague memories of a few scenes. The robot boyfriend drama I don't think I finished and was a bit cheesy or something, I often didn't finish watching dramas though. I also think I watched this or one of these shows was this one but that wasn't the boyfriend one I'm thinking of. I'm thinking the other show I was thinking of was probably one based on this manga

I don't remember everything I watched now or the names, but I also liked たったひとつの恋.

·
Banned
Somewhere else.
64 Posts
I've never purposely sat down to watch a strictly romance movie in my life, cause alot of movies are a kind of blend of stuff anyway, but a few times I was say flicking through channels or whatever & started watching them I got suckered in.

I don't like really cheesy stuff though 🤢.. where everything's airbrushed perfect from the start & they live happily ever after, cause perfection & happily ever afters don't exist in reality, I like something that perhaps happened against the odds or could be real.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
I kind of wasted a post with a serious answer when I could have just done something like this:

I feel you guys. My favorite anime are Toy Story, Cory in the House, airplane instruction videos from the '80s, Seinfeld. We all like the same ****. I get it, I'm an anime fan as well.
I couldn't find a clip of just that part of the video bizarrely but I'm glad to see now that there is a clip of his greatest moment on his channel, so I never have to timestamp it again:

·
Failure's Art
2,323 Posts
I don't think I've ever watched one on purpose, so no. I think maybe I was forced once or twice.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Forced sounds harsh :p like strapped to a chair with toothpicks underneath your eyelids so you can’t close your eyes?

·
Registered
196 Posts
Romance movies are boring and super cringe for me. I cringe at the thought of myself being in a romantic relationship too.

·
SAS Member
Public Universal Enemy
43,021 Posts
I am kind of weird though (broken,) because I don't read romance and think 'I'd like to be that person' or I don't remember doing that really, if I do it's rarely. I have a general incapability to do that with most things romantic/sexual, I just absorb the general emotions or whatever. But I do daydream often about crushes etc.

·
experimental sincerity
1,371 Posts
I like romance but it's hard to find the kind that works for me. I guess it's mostly to do with the fact that I want to identify with the characters to some degree, to like them. Most romcoms don't feel like they're for me, I can't care for the characters, or I do but then there's some sexist **** going on that's a real turn-off. The last good romance that I saw was Portrait of a Lady on Fire.

·
Born Of Blotmonað
19,175 Posts
I don’t really watch movies much anymore but I can be a sucker for good romance. I don’t really care for it when it’s the main focus, romcoms or straight dating/relationship flicks…romcoms particularly can make me quite uncomfortable often because what people find funny in romcoms are just reminders of experiences I’d rather forget about. I like it when the story is it’s own & there’s a strong relationship built and/or maintained as it goes without ever being the most central aspect of movie

1 - 20 of 21 Posts