Votes: 22 62.9%
  • a little

Votes: 7 20.0%
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
4,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like sign language. I'm a much better communicator in sign language than verbally. It almost feels like a game, playing hand signals, I'm much better at talking to deaf people and not feeling really anxious. Sometimes I wish I could be deaf and mute and never have to talk verbally again.

·
The Nimbus Man
1,617 Posts
I used to know how to spell out a few swear words. My friends and I used sign them during class. Ah middleschool...

·
Chlorine and Wine
12,105 Posts
Somebody should have taught me. It might have made my life possible.

·
Sigh.
9,313 Posts
I used to know the alphabet in elementary school. Forget now.

·
Half agony, half hope.
2,709 Posts
I only know sign language for bacon, noodles, & that's about it haha. It has always seemed like a interesting language to learn though.

·
SAS Member
8800 blue lick road
42,207 Posts
I know please and thank you in Makaton, which I think is also the same in British Sign Language, because my mum taught me them when I was a child. I also used to be able to fingerspell my name but I've forgotten now. I don't know any other sign language words though.

And yeah my mum knows more because she uses it for work.

·
SAS Member
13,226 Posts
I knew a little as a kid because I got a book on it, but I forgot it all. I should look through it again...it's always useful to know things.

·
⚰️👻
3,534 Posts
No, but I really wish I did. The thought of learning a new language is intimidating, though. But, man, it's really beautiful. There's a few people that know sign language where I work and I just like to watch them communicate.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I'm fluent in American Sign Language since I'm Deaf… and as a note, it's not accurate to call Deaf people mute because the term "mute" actually means the lack of vocal apparatus. Deaf people can still use voice, therefore we aren't mute. Just pointing it out to you.

·
Registered
10,481 Posts
Know a few food, drink items, and the sign for toilet. Had a manding program for an autistic client for awhile. Teaching her to sign for things she wanted due to being nonverbal. Should of taken a sign language coarse in college but I didn't like the instructor teaching it. Didn't want to screw my grade point up.

·
Devoted Dog Lover
275 Posts
The reason why I learned A.S.L was because I don't want to talk out loud and would rather talk to deaf people. But even signing I get anxious and my hands start shaking.

·
Banned
12,868 Posts
nope I think deaf people will get along just fine without me ...

·
Banned
12,868 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts