Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have been discussed here before but I haven't seen it.

It often seems like my posts will kill any thread on just about any forum I'm on. There can be a lively discussion going on, I'll make a post and BOOM! Nothing. The thread sinks like a boulder. I could maybe write it off as coincidence if it only happened occasionally but it happens a lot. Not necessarily here.

Worst of all, I can't think of anything I do that is any different from what others do. The only thing I really do differently is that I often make myself very clear because I don't want people to misunderstand me.

This is probably something that bothers someone with SA more than other people. Obviously, we're very alert to any reactions (or lack thereof) people have to us.

It completely puzzles me how I can go from one forum to the next and if I make a post, that thread is dead in the water.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Maybe it's because your advice in your post is so great no one feels the need to repeat your good advice? You know what I mean?
It could be a good thing on a forum.

However, this happens to me often in conversation - We'll all be talking and I'll have my input, then the conversation just dies. haha, happens often, and I don't like it :(

So I think I know what you mean...

·
Purify the colors
76 Posts
I know exactly what you're talking about, and believe me it is all in your head. The death of the thread you post in has nothing to do with your post or your presence. More than likely the thread has just reached a satisfying conclusion, or it could even be that your post perfectly summarizes the thread, so others feel no need to chime in with their opinion, as they might feel it redundant to recycle the same opinion you expressed. I hope this makes sense.:)

·
Painfully Shy Guy
418 Posts
Change your avatar its scary:blank
Hee Hee, they might be right.

But seriously though, I seem to either kill threads or if I don't then it seems like nobody notices my responses and they carry on without me. I think many of us have this perception of ourselves that probably reflect our own insecurities somewhat so try not to worry about it too much.

·
Banned
12,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Change your avatar its scary:blank
What should I change it to? It fits my user name, no? Anyway, I don't use this avatar on other forums so it's not my avatar. And even if it was, what's scary about that avatar? I'm not saying it isn't scary to you. I just don't see it and am curious to know what you find scary about it. I think it's amusing.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
On another forum I visit, I kill at least half the threads I post in. It's odd....

I don't think I've killed a thread here yet. First time for everything, though. Maybe this'll be the post to do it...:b

Edit: Guess not :b

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
The only reason I could think of is that your posts would have kind of a conclusion to them - not much more than that. People with SA have shorter attention spans, too, since we worry about ourselves :lol.

·
Gun-Shy
55 Posts
I've experienced that perception many many times, but like others have said I think it just stems from our heightened sensitivity compared to the general population. I think what's worse is when you start a thread, you get plenty of views, but nobody ever answers :)

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Do you kill threads on forums?
Not always, sometimes I just wound them! :p

·
resident classicist
4,408 Posts
What should I change it to? It fits my user name, no? Anyway, I don't use this avatar on other forums so it's not my avatar. And even if it was, what's scary about that avatar? I'm not saying it isn't scary to you. I just don't see it and am curious to know what you find scary about it. I think it's amusing.
I like your avatar, Pickle. It always puts the Humpty Hump in my head.

·
Banned
309 Posts
lol your avatar never scares me but always makes me hungry... i wish i had a pickle right now...

·
Registered
728 Posts
I know i kill threads. Also there was a thread about this, it seems lots of people feel really insecure about this. I think it stems from real life interactions, maybe you say the wrong thing or cant talk about and relate to what's discussed. Back when i was in school their was an activity about popular TV shows, someone would suggest a show and everyone would vote for or against it, this was before i became a mute so i suggested something, i didn't get a single vote, stuff like that makes you think twice about opening your mouth.

I think once people decide they don't like you it doesn't matter what you say.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
theres no way anyone can really kill a thread, except the mods, who can lock it

·
Registered
27 Posts
Killing... not really.

What happens more often is that i get ignored or if someone actually does respond to me I don't know what to say... :b

·
Registered
271 Posts
I feel the same but i think its just paranoia, you can't honestly say you kill threads 100% of the time can you?

I wonder which one of us will kill this thread? lol :D

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
try and kill this thread right now, you will fail!

1 - 20 of 119 Posts