Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately I've been more and more reluctant to go get my hair cut because of the awkward conversations I always get subjected to while I'm in the chair. I don't have a regular person I go to, so it's always some random person cutting my hair who I don't know. And because of who I am and what I'm interested in, I generally can't find anything in common with my random hairdresser, and it's just this really awkward charade that plays out the same way every time. just going through the motions.

Every time I have to re-enact this empty haircut chat experience, it feels emptier and more odious and becomes harder to do.

Does anyone else find this to be kind of a big stumbling block every 1-2 months, or however long it is in between hair cuts?

Or am I just being a fraidy cat who shouldn't be wasting my time thinking about this.

I have a friend who said she just respectfully asks the hairdresser to not talk to her, but I can't realistically see myself doing that any time soon. plus it's kind of rude?

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I don't enjoy making chit chat like that. I have been seeing the same people for a couple years now. One does my color. She's ok to talk to, but I usually just read a magazine or browse the internet from my phone. I get along really well with the person who cuts my hair. She's pretty easy to talk to. We usually talk about holiday plans, vacation plans or concerts we've been to.

You can always just keep your answers short and the person will get the hint. They probably feel like they have to talk to their customer so that's why they're doing it. I'm sure they would welcome the silence too :)

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
I like my hairdresser, so I like making conversation with her.

But normally I wouldn't, if it were some random stranger. So I understand where you're coming from.

·
Banned
1,634 Posts
Luckily my hairdresser is chatty without being nosy...a very nice girl...but sometimes yeah I just don't want to talk...especially if they don't cut your hair(s):), properly!!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Lately I've been more and more reluctant to go get my hair cut because of the awkward conversations I always get subjected to while I'm in the chair. I don't have a regular person I go to, so it's always some random person cutting my hair who I don't know. And because of who I am and what I'm interested in, I generally can't find anything in common with my random hairdresser, and it's just this really awkward charade that plays out the same way every time. just going through the motions.

Every time I have to re-enact this empty haircut chat experience, it feels emptier and more odious and becomes harder to do.

Does anyone else find this to be kind of a big stumbling block every 1-2 months, or however long it is in between hair cuts?

Or am I just being a fraidy cat who shouldn't be wasting my time thinking about this.

I have a friend who said she just respectfully asks the hairdresser to not talk to her, but I can't realistically see myself doing that any time soon. plus it's kind of rude?
I wouldn't recommend this. For a number of reasons!

·
SAS member
3,439 Posts
The random people who do my hair ask questions and I just answer them. I might expand a bit on a sentence.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I go to the beauty salon to get my hair done on week days. Never on the weekends it's too many people. It's always just me and my beautician in there during week days, so we always talk about stuff.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Silence makes me anxious so I try and engage in small talk. I hate making small talk.

·
Live. Laugh. Learn
4,101 Posts
I've been going to the same barbershop for the past 5 years so I know most of them a bit. We just mainly talk about sports. My haircuts take about 10 minutes so it's not that long of a time.

·
Midnight rambla
1,146 Posts
My barber hardly speaks a word of english, so barely a word is said between us. I usually get my head shaved (buzz cut), so I'm not in there long anyway. Haven't been in there for two months now though as I'm letting my hair grow. Thought it was time for a change!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, I feel the exact same way. I was introduced to my barber by my father 5 years ago. He cuts hair from his home, so I could avoid barbershops all together. My barber is retired and in his late 50s, so their is very little we talk about, so he end up talking about his experiences,and i do enjoy his stories. So most of my time in the chair is spent listening, which I do well anyway.

I hate barbershops because its noisey, and people talk about things that I have no interest at all, but I pretend I do, and always end up looking like the weird one. You know like holding a laugh 5 seconds too long, saying im a fan of the wrong sports team, or running into an old classmate that has a life (career, wife, children etc.).

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Mine doesn't talk much to me. She just ask how I am doing, and what i want done to my hair. I still get afraid certain uncomfortable questions will come up though, but that doesn't really happen anymore.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
My new hair dresser never stops talking, but he is nice - other times I would sit in silence

·
Starlight and moonbeams
20,920 Posts
My barber hardly speaks a word of english, so barely a word is said between us. I usually get my head shaved (buzz cut), so I'm not in there long anyway. Haven't been in there for two months now though as I'm letting my hair grow. Thought it was time for a change!
That's a solution! Get a foreign barber. ;)

·
J. Alfred Prufrock
479 Posts
I've only gotten my hair done once (my mom likes to be the one to give me any trims/cuts, plus she has all of the hair car items I usually use) and it was quite uncomfortable. I guess the girl/woman was used to talkative customers and was chatting away with her coworkers the entire time instead. I just sat with my eyes closed for most of the visit.

·
Sternritter
964 Posts
This thread makes me giggle.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I usually just answer the first few questions they ask me then the conversation fizzles out and they cut my hair in silence.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have one "coiffeur" who regularly cuts my hair. Fortunately, he's gay and won't stop talking. All I have to do is sporadically throw in a word.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts