Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had problems talking on the phone when I was a kid, but one day a few years ago, I got really freaked out. I can't call ANYWHERE without having a panic attack beforehand. Even after I'm finally able to go through with the phone call, I sit here and freak out thinking "that person thinks I'm an idiot" It's especially bad with people I don't know. I'm only comfortable talking on the phone to my boyfriend and my mom. Any other friends or family members make me panic. Does anyone else have this problem? Anyone know how to help overcome it?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I usually do laps around my room when I am on the phone or right before i make a phone call. I even saw that as a socially awkward penguin memo. Does anyone else do that? Or know why?

I personally think that it helps me with my anxiety because the walking prevents me from feeling it, it is most noticable when i sit still.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually do laps around my room when I am on the phone or right before i make a phone call. I even saw that as a socially awkward penguin memo. Does anyone else do that? Or know why?

I personally think that it helps me with my anxiety because the walking prevents me from feeling it, it is most noticable when i sit still.
I do that too! I also notice I have to tap something, or shake my leg, or play with my hair. I usually do all those things when I'm in any anxious situation, though, or before bed, it helps me stop thinking about embarrassing things that have happened..

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yes... it's awful. I can talk to people I know well... like family and close friends. But if I have to call somewhere like the doctor or anything like that I can't. I start to stutter and shake really bad. Really worries me because that's something I will HAVE to do in the future.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Yeah I do the leg shaking thing too, I see a lot of people without SA do that before tests, or when they are bored so it doesn't feel so weird when i do it. Also with the phone call I tend to hate leaving messages on answering machines the most oddly enough. Talking to a person is still better than knowing that they will hear my anxiety ridden monologue some time in the near future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I get anxiety when I hear other people talking on the phone too. Like if someone is ordering from a restaurant, or calling out of work, I have to leave the room. I'll dial a number and sit there for 5 minutes before I can even hit send. I noticed if I just do it quick before the anxiety hits me it makes it not as bad.

·
Registered
3,322 Posts
I can call to make appointments. I don't like to call to order food. The worst though is "cold calling" an old friend or relative. My grandfather is very upset with me because I never call him. It was only until this forum that I realized others have trouble with this too (specifically in regard to calling relatives).

·
Registered
60 Posts

Ohh totally. I do that all the time. Even when I don't think I feel nervous... using the phone can be a bit intense for me so I'll feel wired and have to walk around while talking. I do think it might help as a slight distraction.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Yes. I always try to avoid talking on the phone and using the phone to make appointments and stuff, i prefer to text, email and make appointments online...i also don't like when i say something on the phone and then the person on the other end just responds with "right" "okay" and leaves a silence like they to want me to add something more to what i said even if there is nothing further to say.

I get anxiety when I hear other people talking on the phone too. Like if someone is ordering from a restaurant, or calling out of work, I have to leave the room. I'll dial a number and sit there for 5 minutes before I can even hit send. I noticed if I just do it quick before the anxiety hits me it makes it not as bad.
I have done that before too.

·
Koala Crisp
1,885 Posts
I gave up on using the phone basically. I have a mobile phone but don't use it, which I prefer. I can deal with making necessary calls to family etc. But I don't phone friends at all. Thankfully the internet has almost gotten rid of the need for me

·
Banned
3,440 Posts
omg i do that walk all around my house thing too and other times I like to sit in the swivel chair I have and go back and forth or around in circles. But I have this thing were I dont like when other people are in the room with me when im on the phone so i usually get up and leave or somthing if I ever do get the guts up to actually answer it at all. My mom always get upset at me though because whenever the phone is ringing if I dont know who it is I usually sprint to give it to her but technically she did tell me to "get the phone" not answer it...

·
Registered
370 Posts
^I did the same thing, my dad and stepmom HATED it. I don't know how many times I got in trouble for it. My thinking was that I knew it wasn't for me, so there was no point in answering it. I still refuse to call anyone unless it's close family.

·
Silent
346 Posts
I hate talking on the phone.
Unless I'm calling close family members, which are few, I usually come close to having a mini-panic attack if I'm needed to talk to someone on the phone.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have problems with calling people as well. I can spend all day on the phone talking to my mother or close friends but I have extreme panic attacks when having to call other people. If I can avoid using the phone I do it, especially when it comes ordering take out or making appointments. I'd much much much rather go in and deal with whatever in person. And I tend to have to prep myself beforehand. I often write down a script and I CANNOT use the telephone if someone else in the same room as me. I need to be alone.

Then once I'm on the phone I go into my own little world. It's really strange to explain but it feels as though a part of my brain just gets cut off. People can tell me dates and times and I just get so overwhelmed with engaging on the phone that I don't remember that I need to write stuff down and my recollection of any information discussed becomes a blur. Then even with a script in front of me I often forget to address questions or issues I had wanted to discuss.

But like mentioned by others above. If I make a quick impulse phone call without stopping to think about my anxiety is greatly reduced and I'm better able to deal with it.... It's the phone calls I have time to think about that make me queasy or the phone calls I receive that catch me totally off guard.... those are just as awful if not more awful than the ones I make myself....

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hate hate hate phones!! I had to call the doctors today but instead of worrying about it and putting it off I just went ahead and did it. It felt a bit awkward as always but it went okay. So then I rang up the bank even though it wasn't important, and that went fine as well. I was just sick of feeling so anxious before making calls that I had to prove to myself that there's no reason for it.
Even if I do have worries in the future I'm just going to remind myself that if something is making me uncomfortable, such as not understanding the person on the other end, or not knowing what to say, I can always just say the phone is messing up and ask if I can call them back. It's not like a real conversation where it'd be totally weird to walk away for a minute and then resume it like everything's normal so it's no big deal.

·
~*MiiSzAshley*~
7 Posts
I always have problems talking on the phone ):
Whenever i have to call somebody, i would get nervous and it would take me ages just to finally do it.
I don't have problems when it comes to picking up phone calls but making them is just what gets to me.
I also hate when there's dead silence and there's nothing to talk about with the person. It just makes it seem like i should have never called them in the first place.
It's hard for me to actually call someone cause i don't know what their doing, or what their feeling before i call them so it makes it more difficult for me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cannot stand phones. I've gotten better over the last few years and I can now call companies/businesses etc but still struggle even with close family. I won't answer the land line and I only answer my mobile if I recognise the number. Unfortunately I run my own dog walking company and I know I've missed out on a few potential jobs because I didn't answer the phone. Can't bring myself to do it though :(

1 - 20 of 28 Posts