Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

·
Manic Hispanic
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you have to talk to one of them which one do you find you have more trouble summing up the courage to talk to?

To me they're both scary, but I definitely have more trouble talking to adults, especially males. I feel intimidated by them and try to avoid talking to adults at all costs. With teens I feel scared, but not as much. The amount of intimidation increases with age though. Like I can talk to someone my age okay, but say a 17 year old I get more scared like if they were an adult.

·
Silent
346 Posts
I like talking to adults more. They are less immature and more easily related to, for me anyway. Teens are immature and make me feel uncomfortable more so.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'd say I feel most comfortable to talk to people around my age. When I was younger I found it quite difficult talking to adults and felt very nervous and shy. But now I can talk to adults fairly comfortably... It's little kids I have quite a lot of trouble with now, Idk why, especially anywhere from like 8-12 i guess (maybe it's that they start to develope an attitude) but I just find it hard to have a conversation with them

·
I don't even know.....
278 Posts
It's easier talking to adults-they are more disciplined and polite, and tend to have a better sense of humour.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Adults are easier, by far. They only judge you on politeness and intelligence. I know how to wow them. Kids my age..not so much. I'm weird and awkward and not 'cool' and they are so judgemental, it is scary.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I tend to feel way more uncomfortable around teens. This is probably because I have trouble forcing myself to talk to them where as with the teacher I can just go up and ask a question about the assignment.

·
The Lonely Cowboy
707 Posts
Adults seem to like me and aren't as judgmental. With people my age, everything is a popularity contest. Even the teens at my school who are nice to me are still pretty scary!

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with you.. everyone is kinda.. awkward to talk with. I personnaly have more trouble with people who are relitively my age, versus adults. Like in a school situation, i would be able to talk to a teacher better/ more clearer then the kid sitting next to me.

·
Shred to shreds.
93 Posts
Teens younger than me always put my mind on the defensive, I really don't know why. It's almost an automatic survival instinct. On the other hand, I'm able to converse with adults more comfortably compared to teens. It's easy to start deep conversations with them since they know so much about life and things in general. Although I have met a 14 year old teen who seemed to be even more mature than people my age are.

·
a myriad of problems
190 Posts
For some reason, I seem to have developed anxiety around adults over the past few years. I can hardly talk to my teachers one on one, otherwise I start getting nervous and usually they can sense this :S

·
Registered
4 Posts
I hate talking to teens.
It scares the crap out of me.
Adults are much easier for me to handle, not that I enjoy that either.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.