Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
SAS Member
13,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i.e. Diabetes

What condition/ailment do you have?
What's it like living w/ it and how does it affect your quality of life?
Are you on any medications?
Have you had to have surgery for it?

Go ahead and add anything else relevant to the condition. Pathology fascinates me and I like hearing/reading about other people's stories.

·
today's a beautiful day
2,217 Posts
Ok.. when kid I was tired and sleepy all the time... but my condition was never really looked at as serious thing.. so I suffered. Probably this tiredness helped a lot for my SA growing strong too... =(

But later when I started self-help journey, I had my blood checked for diabetes. I thought I had diabetes. They found my Thyroid is underactive. I got pills and I use them even today. 1 pill early morning, can't eat for 1 hour... but I feel so much better now:)

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I've had diabetes since 2009. It doesn't affect me much anymore, I'm so used to it already. And a few months ago I started using an insulin pump instead of injections which has made things easier.

·
Master of my domain
1,339 Posts
I have peyronie's disease. Haven't had any treatment for it.

What can I say? It's mild so far and I'm hoping it won't get worse with time. The curvature isn't bad so having sex wouldn't be a problem. As I'm not even having sex it is even less of a problem. Fortunately so far there has been no reduction in length/girth which sometimes happens.

It still makes me a bit depressed at times though. It mainly affects older men so why did I have to get it out of all people.

·
seduced by gravity
246 Posts
This doesn't count as a true medical condition, but I have 1 faulty allele for sickle-cell anemia. If I had both faulty ones, well... My life would probably have turned out very different than it has.

·
자신을 사랑 해
1,420 Posts
Hemi-facial spasms.
Considering brain surgery.

Posted via Topify on Android

·
SAS Member
13,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hemi-facial spasms.
Considering brain surgery.

Posted via Topify on Android
Oh wow...I just looked that up. I think I read an AVM (arteriovenous malformation) can be one of the causes of that.....that's interesting to me because I have an AVM. No exactly sure what I am in store for in the future. When was the onset of the hemi-facial spasms for you?

Saw your thread on botox and made the connection, too.

Hope you find some better relief.

Thanks everyone else for replying. :)

·
Registered
6,380 Posts
Small vessel ischemia.

I suppose imagine the structural integrity of the small blood vessels in your brain being affected in some way from post-concussion related injury, and the sorts of head pains and nasty sensations that would stem from it. That has basically been my experience more or less since I took a drug which exacerbated said after-effects last September. I have been feeling a little better in a good way just this past week, but it has been so long now that it has been hard to recognise positive changes, and if at all they have occurred.

I don't take any medications for it. Since it basically affects blood flow to the extremities of your brain, I am extremely paranoid of taking any drug whatsoever out of fear that it will further affect my blood vessels, just as the antihistamine I took first did, and subsequently, fish oil.

No surgery is required, thankfully, because the MRI results indicated the absence of any serious conditions such as an unburst aneurysm. For me, all I can do to improve the situation for myself is to change lifestyle habits and follow through diligently with them. Hopefully in time my brain can return to a normal/ healthy state, and the condition doesn't increase my chance of stroke in 20 or so years or whatever.

·
자신을 사랑 해
1,420 Posts
Oh wow...I just looked that up. I think I read an AVM (arteriovenous malformation) can be one of the causes of that.....that's interesting to me because I have an AVM. No exactly sure what I am in store for in the future. When was the onset of the hemi-facial spasms for you?

Saw your thread on botox and made the connection, too.

Hope you find some better relief.

Thanks everyone else for replying. :)
It's really difficult to determine the cause of hemi-facial spasms without cutting open your brain first. I've had MRIs and cat scans but it's difficult to see I guess. My doctors have settled on two different possibilities. One is that I may have an artery pressing against the facial nerve (most common) or the fact that my Bells Palsy (5 years ago) deteriorated my nerve beyond repair. Again, no way to tell besides opening up my brain. So so scary.

My spasms began in February of this year. I remember distinctly because it was one day after my birthday!!!! Crappy.

I've had one session of botox which only superficially masks the spasms without treating it. Another one tomorrow. I think it hurts more than people say. Most people who develop hemi-facial spasms are in their 40's or 50's. Because I am in my 30's, in good health, and the spasms exacerbate my SA and quality of life, surgery was recommended. But that's a big deal. I've been thinking about it.

·
SAS Member
13,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^Yikes, that does sound scary and the thought of needing brain surgery (esp. w/ not having insurance) would send me into such a panic. I hope I never have to reach that point, but who knows.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
Had my appendix burst at age 4. On Halloween no less

1 - 13 of 13 Posts