Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I used to have 3 close friends in high school and one of them was a little popular, mostly cause of the clothes he wore and cause he talked a lot so the popular kids accepted him more. I used to get jealous when his other friends were around him and I didn't talk around them. I don't have any friends anymore. I still think about stuff I used to do with friends I used to have. Good memories.

·
Banned
4 Posts
Yeah, all my friends that I hang out with are really social and popular. And I don't feel like an outcast with them, I somehow fit in.

·
Banned
5,875 Posts
Do you have friends that are social?

No.

The friends I once had, were some of the most popular kids in school. In junior high and prior, we would all hang out together in our own clique and have a great time. But in high school, when they realized I was being ostracized and mocked by most of the other students, they abandoned me.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Not that popular and they don't do much activity wise. Defiently more popular and social then me but hey I have SA.

·
Banned
1,375 Posts
Yes. One I haven't seen in over a month, the second one in about 3 months and the last one in over a year. They live far away now though. Life happened, they got jobs. They're all really social. They have a need to be seen out by other people.

·
Chief Worrier
1,889 Posts
i have 3 people i consider friends at the moment, and all 3 of them are really social and outgoing and have a lot of friends. i don't hang out with their other friends for the most part, but sometimes i do and it's awkward for the first few minutes and then nobody notices the awkwardness but me.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
I had friends that were social in the sense that they could make small talk and comfortable fit in with large groups and new people. However, most of my friends were pretty quiet.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
my friends are social butterflies; i feel like an outcast amongst them, and like they just let me tag along out of pity. needless to say i probably need new friends, which is kinda hard to find.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Strangely, most of my "best friends" have been the really outgoing types - often so outspoken/argumentative to the point of being a bully. They were probably attracted to me because I wasn't a perceived threat to their egos - that and maybe pity.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Yes most of my friends are social. I'm always the odd one out. They tend out shine me whether in my personal life or at work. I always feel secondary to them and insecure or sometimes just jealous!

·
♫♪♫♪♫♪♫&
80 Posts
I think my friends are a mixture.. some of them are really outgoing types, while others are pretty reserved, but still social. I think i'm the quietest out of all my friends though :\ I actually quite enjoy spending time with people more outgoing than me though, as it gives me more of a challenge and forces me to become more talkative, which is slowly but surely helping with improving my SA and social skills

·
Half way there
428 Posts
Yes. One of my friends stops to talk with every other person we happen to meet wherever we are (library, hiking, shops etc.). He is very friendly. I just take two steps back and wait.
Oh, I forgot to mention I also smile politely and nod :)

·
Banned
136 Posts
Yes, the only two friends that I have here are very social and very popular. I am social by nature but shy around strangers until I've assessed that they are either warm or accepting. Even if a person seems warm and accepting, I still harbour suspicions that they secretly dislike me or are annoyed by me so I try to avoid them in the future. I could approach strangers if I had to, but I'd rather not lest they think I'm an idiot. I normally wait until people approach me. If I get a good feeling around them I am warm to them, but if I don't get a good feeling then I tend to be stoic.

Although people who are talkative seem to be popular and well liked, I feel as though people don't like me when I am talkative. Sometimes it seems as though people don't want to listen when I speak even if I speak in a clear voice. I am a little nervous when I'm speaking among a group of people so maybe my body language or facial expression may be a turn off.

·
Banned
1,872 Posts
I have one friend who is the biggest socialite ever, he is always throwing parties and hosting people and inviting them out to after hours. I turn him down 9 times out of 10, I'm not sure why he keeps inviting me. One thing I noticed is that he had a rough summer two years ago and he realized that a lot of his friends weren't really his friends and he got really down about it. I have another friend who used to be pretty social but he's going through a phase in life where he is getting rid of all the excess fat, he said to me one day that he realized that most of his friends weren't really his friends and they didn't give a **** about him. I've said that for years, only 1 or 2 people are your friends, take the rest for what they are worth, have fun with them but don't expect anything.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
I haven't had a real life friend in a long time but when I did they were usually pretty outgoing. I think it's the only reason I made friends because I probably wasn't going to make first contact so they had to be fairly social to be able to make a connection.

·
Banned
577 Posts
I've had social friends in the past. Usually they'll hang out with just me or someone else who's non-social so they can feel like the alpha-dominant. But if they're hanging out with other social types they'd never bring me along lest i embarrass them.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I tend to gravitate towards the outgoing people, probably because it means I'll have less pressure to say something whenever there's others around. I've only had one friend who was shy (still, less so than I was), and then she suddenly turned into a social person that ditched me. Ah, the good ol' days. Two friends I have now can chat up anyone at anytime (a feat that still amazes me every time they do it), and the other one just hates everyone and refuses to do pleasantries.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts