Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got turned down for an event and my parents were asking me how I felt and they said I obviously would feel disappointed and asked me if that was correct. All I could do was shrug my shoulders and say "I dunno" in an annoyed tone. I was angry that I didn't get invited but couldn't bring myself to admit it to them and pretended I was cool with it. I guess I didn't want to show my feelings about it just incase they told the people who was hosting the event that I was upset over it.. but also because I felt embarrassed to display vulnerable emotions to my parents.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I guess I do. Lots of times I'm in a bad mood but I try not to let it show because if somebody asks me what's wrong I don't know how to respond.

·
Realistic
657 Posts
I have trouble on both sides of the spectrum . Either trouble displaying or trouble hiding them.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm the same, I always hide my emotions just to avoid the attention of people asking "what's wrong?", or to prevent gossip starting about how I got really angry or upset, etc. I very rarely show any emotion to anyone, even my parents. The downside of this is that I come across as unenthusiastic, so it's difficult when you're around friends and people you find attractive, they just see me as the boring guy.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I cant hide my emotions at all. angry sad happy i look the part and act the part. i feel i am extremely sensitive to any emotion and find it difficult to hide it these days. when i was younger i could hide it better and "act" relaxed and calm and cool now a days i cant control the hiding aspect and whatever i feel comes out and shows. guess the years if hiding and bottling up emotions are taking its toll

·
Maybe?
2,598 Posts
I don't have difficulty, but I do refuse to show emotion or vulnerability in environments I consider unsafe which is... quite a few. I try to keep it contained and keep people from reading me.

In private I've been called a lot of nice things, but if I showed that side all the time or didn't shield myself I'd attract bad people like vultures to carrion. Life's a predatory place and some specifically look for those who seem shy, isolated, lonely, meek etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't like showing emotions, but I've come to notice it never helps me in the long run not to. But I feel weak and vulnerable when I do. When people ask me how I am, I don't necessarily lie, but I bend it to where whatever emotion it is, it can't be used against me. I don't know if that makes any sense, but I try and control what other people see and think about me, though I'm 95% sure everyone can see everything written on my face anyway.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Absolutely! It's something I struggle with working on yet it is a big key to overcoming SA. I've always had trouble displaying emotions, I feel like, as another poster said, that gives the other person power over me and I feel incredibly vulnerable.

When I was a kid a dear friend of my mom's made me some curtains (actually sewed them just for me.) I loved them but was too self-conscious to actually admit it or show the enthusiasm I felt (so stupid.) So of course when she presented them to me I probably looked ungrateful and/or neutral. I still remember my mom pulling me aside later and getting onto me about not showing that I liked them. The words were right there and I wanted so badly to explain how exposed I feel when I show emotions but I just...couldn't.

It's funny though, I don't think it's 'weak' for someone else to cry openly or get angry, happy, etc. I like people who wear their heart on their sleeve even more, probably because they are the way I want to be.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts