Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's the skinny on Avoidance Personality Disorder. Check it out on the net.

The American Psychiatric Association's DSM-IV-TR, a widely used manual for diagnosing mental disorders, defines AvPD as a "pervasive pattern of social inhibition, feelings of inadequacy, and hypersensitivity to negative evaluation, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by four (or more) of the following:

1.Avoids occupational activities that involve significant interpersonal contact, because of fears of criticism, disapproval, or rejection
2.Is unwilling to get involved with people unless certain of being liked
3.Shows restraint initiating intimate relationships because of the fear of being ashamed, ridiculed, or rejected due to severe low self-worth.
4.Is preoccupied with being criticized or rejected in social situations
5.Is inhibited in new interpersonal situations because of feelings of inadequacy
6.Views self as socially inept, personally unappealing, or inferior to others
7.Is unusually reluctant to take personal risks or to engage in any new activities because they may prove embarrassing

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far, I have - Shyness, Introversion, Social Anxiety Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome, Avoidance Personality Disorder. And I'm just getting started.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
I was diagnosed with Avoidance Personality Disorder w/ Depressed Mood.

Were you actually diagnosed by a Psychiatrist or are you labeling yourself by some results from an online test?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was diagnosed with Avoidance Personality Disorder w/ Depressed Mood.

Were you actually diagnosed by a Psychiatrist or are you labeling yourself by some results from an online test?
No, the last time I saw a psychiatrist (about 25 years ago), he told me there was nothing wrong with me. It just seems that everytime I read about a different disorder, they all kind of sound like the same thing, with very subtle differences. I don't know how doctors can distinguish between them all.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Oh hell yeah, I have it. I don't trust people because they have never given me a reason to. I think the average person in this country is the dumbest MF on the planet.
I have AVD, OCD, ADD, Severe Depression, Asperger's, just to scratch the surface. Oh yeah, I have anger issues, too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
With all the recent developments in these disorders, I'm thinking about seeing a new psychiatrist. Maybe then I'll finally figure out this thing which has plagued me most of my life. That last psychiatrist I saw years ago just confused the hell out of me.

·
Cool story, bro!
986 Posts
With all the recent developments in these disorders, I'm thinking about seeing a new psychiatrist. Maybe then I'll finally figure out this thing which has plagued me most of my life. That last psychiatrist I saw years ago just confused the hell out of me.
Definitely do it. Especially if you're wanting to get disability for it. A doctors diagnosis is paramount in the process. If you have a Psychiatrist vouching for your disorder then the system is going to have a hard time denying you benefits. I agree that alot of the disorders all sort of blend into eachother and sound the same, but I think their are subtle nuances.

I agree with my doctors diagnosis of Avoidant to an extent. I resonate with 1,3,4,5,and 7 in the symptoms you listed. I've read up on it alot since that's what I was labeled with and a few things just aren't me at all. Like, one of the main things is that people with AvPD 'deeply' want human relationships but feel inadequate to get them. With me it's just the fact that I don't want to be around people very much and am content with my 1 or 2 friends that I have. Having too much social interaction just stresses me out. I wouldn't want to have alot of friends because that would just mean I'd have more social obligation.

All that said, there is a fine line. Hopefully you get it all sorted out.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks hiimnotcool. I'm not looking for disability, just a few answers, and hopefully some kind of treatment. Part of the problem back then was I didn't really know what was wrong, at least now hopefully I'll be able to give the doctors something to go on. This Avoidance Personality Disorder really me curious.

Best of luck to you to.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
I have AVPD, Social Anxiety, Depression and Obsessions. I've never been diagnosed with AVPD, but I am certain that this is what I have.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don't see a huge difference between that list of symptoms and for those of SA. However, I do have all of them, but one. I've already been diagnosed with SA, GAD, panic disorder, OCD, and chronic depression so it wouldn't surprise me. Oh and LOL @ BeachGaBulldog - I hear ya!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
So far, I have - Shyness, Introversion, Social Anxiety Disorder, Aspergers Syndrome, Avoidance Personality Disorder. And I'm just getting started.
Those all sound like what I've got too, except replace "Avoidance" with "Schizoid". Wow, who knew I was so messed up?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think I can give a bit of a difference between Avoidance and SA, from what I've gotten from it. I used to always research APD and found that there was really no support for it, but alot more support for SA, which is why I'm here. They are extremely similar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've found is that with SA, you don't want social interactions, you actually fear them no matter what. With APD, you do want social interactions, but you avoid them because you are constantly feeling judged, and instead of enjoying yourself in a situation, you spend the whole time thinking about the look at the guy in the red shirt just gave you, and how that girl just walked by without saying hi, why didn't she say hi? You met last week, maybe she doesn't remember you? Things like that. You can't concentrate on having a conversation because your mind is going insane with thoughts about being judged. You need actual acceptance in order to feel comfortable. Any time I'm in a new situation, if I feel accepted right away, I'll be totally comfortable and happy. If other people don't show me acceptance right away, it's like a nightmare.

For example, I want to have a social life. I want friends. I want all that. But I'm so overly obsessed with how people judge me, that I can't actually just relax and enjoy myself. If I'm in a social situation, however, with people who I feel superior to, I'm 100% confident and can be the life of the party. This is what some people don't understand. In classes at school I talk alot, am always answering questions and socializing in class, but as soon as I leave school and say, walk into a restaurant, I feel like death and I refuse to talk to anyone, because I feel like all eyes are on me and people are secretly judging me in every which way.

I guess now that I've started to explain, I've realized that it actually is difficult to explain the difference. But if you're really interested in knowing the difference, do a fair share of internet research and you'll begin to be able to pick out the differences and decide which is more likely to be you.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I think I can give a bit of a difference between Avoidance and SA, from what I've gotten from it. I used to always research APD and found that there was really no support for it, but alot more support for SA, which is why I'm here. They are extremely similar.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but what I've found is that with SA, you don't want social interactions, you actually fear them no matter what. With APD, you do want social interactions, but you avoid them because you are constantly feeling judged, and instead of enjoying yourself in a situation, you spend the whole time thinking about the look at the guy in the red shirt just gave you, and how that girl just walked by without saying hi, why didn't she say hi? You met last week, maybe she doesn't remember you? Things like that. You can't concentrate on having a conversation because your mind is going insane with thoughts about being judged. You need actual acceptance in order to feel comfortable. Any time I'm in a new situation, if I feel accepted right away, I'll be totally comfortable and happy. If other people don't show me acceptance right away, it's like a nightmare.

For example, I want to have a social life. I want friends. I want all that. But I'm so overly obsessed with how people judge me, that I can't actually just relax and enjoy myself. If I'm in a social situation, however, with people who I feel superior to, I'm 100% confident and can be the life of the party. This is what some people don't understand. In classes at school I talk alot, am always answering questions and socializing in class, but as soon as I leave school and say, walk into a restaurant, I feel like death and I refuse to talk to anyone, because I feel like all eyes are on me and people are secretly judging me in every which way.

I guess now that I've started to explain, I've realized that it actually is difficult to explain the difference. But if you're really interested in knowing the difference, do a fair share of internet research and you'll begin to be able to pick out the differences and decide which is more likely to be you.
If that is the case then I'd say I have APD.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts