Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
unashamed perv
1,786 Posts
I think it's pretty obvious to those around somebody if that person has Asperger's. I mean, unkess you're in a third world country, it's going to be diagnosed in childhood.

I scored 20. I guess we SA people will get high scores due to the "not being terribly social" aspect, but that doesn't mean we have Asperger's, it means we have SA.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I scored a 27.

However, if my parents filled out this form for me (trying to guess my answers), they would probably score higher. My parents think I have Asperger. I do not. Of course, I still scored above average. I guess I am borderline.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
I don't need to take a test, because I know for sure I don't. I deal with clients that have Aspergers in my job and I don't act like them.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
23. Not quite a math contest winner. 2nd place to Pam? I'll take that.

·
In my shiny bubble
2,428 Posts
I scored 23

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I got a 12.

I like the question about being interested in dates. I'm an historian who studies calendars. So, yeah, "strongly agree." ;)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I got 37 and the test tells me "Scores over 32 are generally taken to indicate Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism, with more than 34 an "extreme" score."

Many of the questions on the test directly impact almost anybody who has SA. I don't see how one could have severe SA and not get a relatively high score on this test. Does this imply that SA is some form of mild autism or that this test if pile of BS?

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
The test doesn't mention facial tics. I noticed the Aspergers clients I deal with have facial tics. I thought maybe the one was having them due to being on Respirdal, but we have ones that never took Psychotropic meds.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I scored a 31. I wonder if this is a bit like comparing apples to oranges. I mean we may have some things in common when it comes to the social issues but I really don't think I have Asperger's. Just a bad case of shy/introvertedness.

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I got 37 and the test tells me "Scores over 32 are generally taken to indicate Asperger's Syndrome or high-functioning autism, with more than 34 an "extreme" score."

Many of the questions on the test directly impact almost anybody who has SA. I don't see how one could have severe SA and not get a relatively high score on this test. Does this imply that SA is some form of mild autism or that this test if pile of BS?
It kind of makes me wonder about all of the kids who are being diagnosed with autism. It seems like it's the "childhood diagnosis du jour."

I was diagnosed with ADHD (or ADD with hyperactivity, as it was called) back when all the kids had that. My parents did some of their own research and decided that, if I did, in fact, have ADHD then it wasn't severe enough to warrant my taking the Ritalin the doctor so eagerly prescribed.

So I wonder about how willing psychs are to look at a kid and see the most popular (and/or profitable) disease, or if they're willing to dig deeper and find out what's really wrong.

Have a nice day,

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
It kind of makes me wonder about all of the kids who are being diagnosed with autism. It seems like it's the "childhood diagnosis du jour."

I was diagnosed with ADHD (or ADD with hyperactivity, as it was called) back when all the kids had that. My parents did some of their own research and decided that, if I did, in fact, have ADHD then it wasn't severe enough to warrant my taking the Ritalin the doctor so eagerly prescribed.

So I wonder about how willing psychs are to look at a kid and see the most popular (and/or profitable) disease, or if they're willing to dig deeper and find out what's really wrong.

Have a nice day,
People with Asperger syndrome have a different neurology.

But the idea that a psychiatrist can accurately diagnosis the disorder or any other mental disorder is pretty unrealistic. The whole idea of splitting people up into categories is flawed and will someday be abandoned.

My dad goes to parents' meetings for asperger syndrome. The parents have children who are struggling terribly in school and in order to get them the help they need, it is helpful for them to get a diagnosis of asperger syndrome. In some cases, it is nearly impossible to distinguish asperger from an anxiety disorder. So they may change doctors who will give them the diagnosis they are looking for. I don't blame these parents at all. Doctors can't diagnose a patient better than a well-educated parent can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I scored a thirty-five, but I knew beforehand that I did not have aspergers.
To be honest, I only took the test in an attempt to help fill the gaping void of my life :sus.

Thanks for the slight diversion, anyways.

1 - 20 of 116 Posts