Social Anxiety Support Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a couple of drinks before my first visit to the doctor concerning social phobia.

Once I had to do one of the readings at my aunt's funeral and had a few drinks beforehand.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with using alcohol (in moderation) in this way as it's so effective. I'm on benzos now so these are what I use, although they're not quite as good as some booze.

If I had to do something petrifing like a presentation in front of a large crowd I'd probably take a large benzo dose and a little alcohol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hmm, I actually don't like to drink much at all. I tried to drink some before my most recent flight (because I fear flying terribly), but it didn't seem to help for long. In fact it may have made it worse.

Then of course there's always the danger that you will become dependent on alcohol for anxiety control, which can't be good. I'd see what you can do with some medications if you could.

·
Registered
154,235 Posts
I can't say that I have drunk anything prior to something anxiety-provoking. It has been more or less making sure I took my Paxil! :(

·
Registered
31 Posts
i think if you have the guts, ask your doctor for some beta blockers, these will stop all the nervous symptoms like quivvering voice, sweating etc. when u take them.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I was attracted by this many many times. But two things stopped me. First, what if [oh my] somebody finds out...then it will be worse when the effect wears out. And secondly, I felt that I would be cheating myself if I got good results after using alcohol. Till now I've held myself back, but with one on life's toughest presentation around the corner...I just don't know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts