Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Benzo Hater
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to get a copy of medical records from a doctor that I last saw in 2002. This guy really got me hooked on benzos bad. He would give me huge bottles full of Klonopin, basically all I wanted. One day he told me he was retiring. I had to find a new doctor then.

Anyway, I recently found out that he's still practicing (surprised) and I called and asked for a copy of my medical records. His secretary seemed pretty defensive about it, but said she would "put a note in his box."

So I wondered if he told me he was retiring to get rid of me? Also, why the reluctance to give me records? Do I have a legal right to my medical records, under the law? Maybe he's trying to cover-up the fact that he gave tons of benzos? That maybe why he ditched me and told me he was retiring too? He was fairly old back then though, like 60-ish, so I believed him.

I did get records from another Dr. I saw before him, dating back to the mid to late 90's, with no problem.

·
Registered
1,731 Posts
Yeah I guess it depends what country you are from
I think in Australia they have to keep records for at least a period of 5 years or something
If you went to the same chemist all the time they could print you out your script history as well

·
Benzo Hater
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you went to the same chemist all the time they could print you out your script history as well
I have been going to same pharmacy (chemist) all these years, so that would be useful. I will look in to that. Thanks.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
It depends on the state in the USA I believe. Based on your location, I am assuming you are in Nebraska.

The first part of the PDF:
Q: Can I get access to my own medical
records?
A: Yes. By law you have the right to get copies
of your medical records from the health
care organizations that made them. Some
restrictions may apply
http://www.nitc.ne.gov/eHc/clearing/Consumerhealthsecuritybrochurepg1and2.pdf

I would hit them with that. "By law you have to give me copies of my medical records." If they resist, you could try to say, "Can you explain slowly why you are not providing my health records that I have a legal right to in Nebraska should I choose to pursue legal options?"

Note: I'm not a lawyer and you should probably talk to one at this point.

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
^ According to my research, medical records in Nebraska need only be retained for 5 years after the patient's last visit. OP might be out of luck.

·
Benzo Hater
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It depends on the state in the USA I believe. Based on your location, I am assuming you are in Nebraska.

The first part of the PDF:

http://www.nitc.ne.gov/eHc/clearing/Consumerhealthsecuritybrochurepg1and2.pdf

I would hit them with that. "By law you have to give me copies of my medical records." If they resist, you could try to say, "Can you explain slowly why you are not providing my health records that I have a legal right to in Nebraska should I choose to pursue legal options?"

Note: I'm not a lawyer and you should probably talk to one at this point.
Thanks for the info! I read somewhere that I did have a legal right, but I also read somewhere that psychiatric of psychotherapy records/notes maybe exempt.

·
Benzo Hater
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^ According to my research, medical records in Nebraska need only be retained for 5 years after the patient's last visit. OP might be out of luck.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I used to work in records management and most stuff is kept for 7 years in paper form then destroyed BYYY FFFIIRREEEEEE!! We dealt with a lot of stuff from hospitals, gov dept. and dentists but not really GPs. ssooo hhmm maybe less.

I keep a folder of all my medical history these days and request doubles for everything (one copy for me) one for whoever it's going to. I've had so many different doctors and doctors that loose **** that I HAVE to keep records myself. I've been refused script renewals in the past because of this so that was an eye opener. I gave it to one "doctor" once before walking out and slamming his door, "referral? It's on your computer system I gave it to my last GP in this very same building less than six months ago! This is BS.... you know what #$%^ you I just won't take my meds" *stormed out*. I don't respect general practitioners as much as I used to... or should I say ... glorified janitors.

·
Benzo Hater
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used to work in records management and most stuff is kept for 7 years in paper form then destroyed BYYY FFFIIRREEEEEE!! We dealt with a lot of stuff from hospitals, gov dept. and dentists but not really GPs. ssooo hhmm maybe less.

I keep a folder of all my medical history these days and request doubles for everything (one copy for me) one for whoever it's going to. I've had so many different doctors and doctors that loose **** that I HAVE to keep records myself. I've been refused script renewals in the past because of this so that was an eye opener. I gave it to one "doctor" once before walking out and slamming his door, "referral? It's on your computer system I gave it to my last GP in this very same building less than six months ago! This is BS.... you know what #$%^ you I just won't take my meds" *stormed out*. I don't respect general practitioners as much as I used to... or should I say ... glorified janitors.
Thanks for the info. This guy was/is a psychiatrist.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.