Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
19,437 Posts
Wow, now that's a loaded question! :lol

Write now, what drives me is the hope of getting a well paying job. Then my own place, and maybe some good friends...and MAYBE a boyfriend. I strive for what the "average Joe" takes for granted.

·
Protector of the Den
15,048 Posts
Doesn't seem like it as much anymore. It's like I'm losing site of my goals for life. I would like to get back on track.

Aside from my goals, I think what drives me is trying to change my life around. The hope that changing my life around will one day bring me happiness.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My birds wake me up with their extreemly loud screetching, my purpose is to feed them and let them out of the cage for the day. :)

Okay and I have hope something good will happen.

·
Registered
260 Posts
This might sound silly but I once had a goal to change the way the world works, help the underdogs, challenge the status quo. SA has ruined all that. I can't even voice my real opinions because i fear the way people will react, i.e that they will consider me a threat or an easy target because of my beliefs and try to attack me, make my life hell to gain favour with the status quo.

Now my purpose is to get an education and move into a career that is fulfilling and hopefully be able to work with more open minded, knowledgeable people.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Beyond the question of whether or not I have a purpose (I don't), I often ask myself if my existence has a meaning. And not only of myself, but of any other human being and of humans as a race. I mean, we're born, we live our 70+ years or so if we're lucky. We use this much oxygen and leave behind that much CO2 and garbage behind. Then we die. End of story. Would it really matter to the world if none of this happened?
I don't think having friends/a nice job etc would change that fact. I'm an atheist so I can't invent myself a higher being that would inject meaning into my life.
It's a depressing thought, so I think my purpose in life is to find those things that help me forget for a while (always for a while) that my existence is meaningless.

·
Registered
374 Posts
what are the deepest desires in your heart? these things are good, noble, and true. I think there is purpose right in front of you if you look for it. I'm younger, but I go through this too..some days are better than others..

·
Beautiful Mess
1,284 Posts
I believe my purpose in life is to encourage and uplift others. That is my motivation everyday- to help others.

·
Poster of Random Nothings
47 Posts
As the poster above said: "life's meaning is what you give."

Most people in the thread have basically agreed upon that without blatantly expressing it. You find your own purpose for your life. I don't personally feel that I have one with one exception: I live to serve. Possibly it's a side-effect of SA or my feelings of inferiority, but I don't feel that I have a noble self-made goal. I don't have a purpose for myself. Now if you see that the way it feels it's not that I personally don't have any sort of purpose, just that I don't feel that I am capable of creating a purpose and seeing it through. If you have low self-esteem (not just SA), it's difficult to find any strength with which to make a lasting commitment to a cause. I don't trust myself to stick.

If I did have one it would be to fix a certain something that has happened in the world. I have gone into it in another thread so I won't here.

To the question at hand though. What gets me out of bed each day? Hope that today will be the day something can be done. Hope that today I will find an opportunity that I didn't see before. Hope that I can prove myself that I can be courageous and make something better. It's all hope, chief.

·
Banned
497 Posts
Do you have a reason to get out of bed everyday? Do you have somewhere to go something to do? Im not talking about work specifically im talking about what drives you? What keeps you motivated? Until i get meaningful employment my life will remain purposeless. All these empty days are testing the solitude of which my soul can endure. Im getting older and it its getting more difficult each day.
absoutely !

if you are struggling to find a purpose to your life then here is :

*to transform from a socially anxious person to a socially competent person through your own pro active work

every social phobic has that purpose in common

·
Shift Happens
454 Posts
absoutely !

if you are struggling to find a purpose to your life then here is :

*to transform from a socially anxious person to a socially competent person through your own pro active work

every social phobic has that purpose in common
I have to agree. The bigger the obstacles that we overcome, the brighter the light becomes at the end of the tunnel.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Honestly, philosophical and other metaphysical "purposes" do not motivate people. The only things that motivate me are people I love, sex drive, and opportunities for entertainment (escapism). The only reason I get up and go to work is because I feel like I don't have a choice. I hate going 90% of the time.

·
kawaii neko chan
52 Posts
I used to be really suicidal and tried a few times : |
After a while I realised I'm too scared to go all the way, that alone was enough to keep me alive though I didn't like it. Now I get up because I have to take care of my cat xD. It probably sounds silly but I love my cat so yep : )

·
Registered
58 Posts
Honestly, like many other posters, hope gets me out of bed in the morning. But so does love. I'm very fortunate to have a wonderful man. So...hope that I can get out of here and we'll find an apartment this summer (even if it's a **** hole filled with roaches). And everything will be exciting and terrifying, stressful and wonderful.

·
Registered
609 Posts
umm, i work, am in a relationship, exercise, have goals but my life has no purpose..nothing really gets me excited anymore....i look around and wondr how people can just endure the rat race day after day without losing their mind..im a deep thinker though which is not good at all..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts