Votes: 21 21.0%
  • I'm not sure.

Votes: 12 12.0%
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
5,120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I've ever had an actual panic attack judging from the descriptions I've seen, so I was wondering if most here do or don't . . .

·
Registered
18,888 Posts
I was going to say no, but after reading about them and their actual symptoms I'd change that to "once or twice" (more like "a few times"). I don't think I've ever gone through what I'd call a full blown panic attack, but I can recall a few situations where I've met the DSM-IV criteria for one.

Good Old Wikipedia said:
According to the American Psychological Association, the symptoms of a panic attack commonly last approximately thirty minutes. However, panic attacks can be as short as 15 seconds, while sometimes panic attacks may form a cyclic series of episodes, lasting for an extended period, sometimes hours. Often those afflicted will experience significant anticipatory anxiety and limited symptom attacks in between attacks, in situations where attacks have previously occurred.

DSM-IV Diagnostic Criteria for Panic Attack

A discrete period of intense fear or discomfort, in which four (or more) of the following symptoms developed abruptly and reached a peak within 10 minutes:

Palpitations, pounding heart, or accelerated heart rate
Sweating
Trembling or shaking
Sensations of shortness of breath or smothering
Feeling of choking
Chest pain or discomfort
Nausea or abdominal distress
Feeling dizzy, unsteady, lightheaded, or faint
Derealization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)
Fear of losing control or going crazy
Fear of dying
Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
Chills or hot flashes

·
Banned
2,331 Posts
Yes, but I can control them through healthy lifestyle and avoidance of stimulants, if I am motivated enough to do so. Sometimes all I have to do is remind myself that I have no control over my destiny anyway and that I'm not afraid of death, and then the feeling of panic just sort of melts away.

·
Permanently bored
2,813 Posts
I get some of the symptoms of panic attacks occasionally when I realise I've done something stupid/forgotten to do something important/something really startles me (pounding heart, sweating + chills, lightheadedness), but never for more than a few seconds so I wouldn't really call them panic attacks.

·
Banned
177,223 Posts
Yes, not as bad or as often as I use to but I still get them.

·
breaking free
2,171 Posts
Never had one before, thankfully.

·
Banned
322 Posts
I voted no...but then I looked up the symptoms for panic attacks, as someone above did, and realised that they were strikingly similar to something I have experienced before, but was told was abdominal migraine....so then I looked up the symptoms of abdominal migraine, and found that my experience nowhere near fits under the criteria for that, and is in fact much closer to the criteria for "panic attack".

So my answer really should be "I don't know" - I have a poor record with fitting into neat diagnostic categories.

·
dirt person
2,788 Posts
I voted no, but when I think about it.... I had one when I was younger, but the situation was really panic-attack worthy.

·
Losing Ground
2,121 Posts
I answered no but I should have answered not sure. I don't think I've ever had one- but I do had severe anxiety daily that builds and builds up at work as the day wears on and is almost unbearable by the end of the day. I can feel somewhat panicky by the end of the day- but I don't think those are panic attacks, right? I think those come on really quick, they don't build up over hours of social exposure.

·
Registered
64 Posts
As a young teenager I went to the ER a couple of times for what I eventually found out were panic attacks. The attacks were very frightening -- racing heart, racing thoughts, feelings of impending doom, shortness of breath, feeling disoriented... I was certain I was having a heart attack. The ER docs gave me an EKG (normal) and valium, but they never diagnosed the episodes as panic attacks. How I wish they had made the proper diagnosis and referred me to a psychiatrist.

I haven't had a full-blown attack since my teenage years. But I do have mini-attacks, usually at night. I wake up in a panic with these racing thoughts: "OMG, I'm 34! Holy Shi*, my life is going nowhere! I hate my job! OMG, I'm going to die single! I can't stand myself! What will I do when my parents die?!" and on, and on.

·
sp chick
222 Posts
i've had panic attacks many times and everytime i am in a social situation I think i come close to it atleast once!!! it's RIDICULOUS!

·
Après moi, le déluge
5,682 Posts
I have had a few (two or three) in the past. My goal is to NEVER have one again. ;)

Have a nice day,
Kelly :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts