Social Anxiety Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have social anxiety so I'm really anxious to begin with. But waiting in a long line while in my car at puts my anxiety through the roof. I get a really nervous look on my face, which makes the police officer suspicious of me.

Do any of you feel like this?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Yeah, I get that feeling even when dealing with the US Border Patrol when I'm crossing states. I'm not Mexican and I don't transport drugs so I have nothing to worry about, but they still freak me out for some reason.

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
I've never encountered a police road block. What do you mean? Like those stupid sobriety checkpoints that are allowed in 40 states (my state of WI not being one of them)?

·
SAS Member
31,286 Posts
My only contact with them is when I get pulled over. Best thing is to try and relax when you see them.

·
Vann of the Dawn
81 Posts
I've been pulled over a few times. Each time I was trembling. I had nothing illegal in my car. I was only pulled over for speeding (one time for window tent) and that was the only thing wrong. The cops then assumed I was hiding something. One even patted me down and searched my car. I then get more nervous because I know they are picking up on my nervousness. It goes on and on...

·
Registered
154,233 Posts
Ohio is one of those states that allows checkpoints. They tell us ahead of time where they are. I avoid them. I don't even drink or do drugs, but I still avoid them. Let the cops handle the others.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm a long-haired guy in the south, so yes I am nervous around cops. I have nothing to hide but I still feel like I'm an easy target. It also bothers me to have two cop cars always parked outside my apartment since some live in the same complex.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've hardly ever had to face police road blocks - on the rare times I did, things went pretty smoothly (this was years ago, though). But I can see myself getting "paradoxical nervousness" - although I'm a law-abiding citizen and haven't done anything (beyond speeding) that would "justify" getting nervous. I always see myself as that type of person who - if I'm in a crowd - would somehow attract the attention of police because of my "different" vibes (which includes being "less relaxed" than others), which the police would interpret as suspicious. And I have evidence to back this up: for ex., I remember being in an airport in the Akron/Kent Ohio area - and noticing a security guard observing me. (I wasn't looking at him dead-on, except for maybe a brief moment - so I didn't draw his attention because I was looking right at him. But I "felt" his gaze, and saw him in my peripheral vision.) Mind you, there were several other people in the area whom he could have been looking at - but somehow, I was the one who drew his attention.

And I'm like Nights -- I get more nervous when I sense that people are picking up on my nervousness, or that people are scrutinizing me for signs of nervousness. I guess this factors into the problems I run into while shopping - there are employees and "Loss Prevention" people all around who are on the lookout for any signs of "suspiciousness" from customers. I always feel like I'm being watched or targeted more than other shoppers: I'd like to think that signs of my anxiety disorder aren't that obvious while shopping, but sometimes, I feel as though these employees pick right up on the slightest hints of my bodylanguage. Technically, I have nothing to be nervous about - because I don't shoplift; but I tense up anyway when I feel like I'm being watched (or about to be watched).

·
Banned
38,431 Posts
Ohio is one of those states that allows checkpoints. They tell us ahead of time where they are. I avoid them. I don't even drink or do drugs, but I still avoid them. Let the cops handle the others.
Some years ago the US Supreme Court ruled that such checkpoints are legal. Apparently, they thought that driving on a road was probable cause to suspect you're intoxicated. After all, who drives sober!:mum

·
Registered
999 Posts
Yep, and im 21, but I get nervous when buying alcohol, because they might think I am underage and will ask for ID . . even though I know im the legal age, its really stupid.

·
subtastic
7,692 Posts
I am somewhat nervous, but I have this weird 'thing' that makes me always hyper-eager to be accepted by authority figures. I'm an enormous loser, I know, but I can't help but think, "Okay! Be on your best behaviour! Make this cop think you are A MODEL CITIZEN!" It kind of contradicts my other 'thing', which is an overwhelming sense of disdain for laws and such.

·
UnDeRrAtED
34,712 Posts
I get extremely nervous around cops especially when I got pulled over once for an expired inspection sticker like my car was really a hazard.

·
LookingForMyLife
598 Posts
I get extremely nervous around cops especially when I got pulled over once for an expired inspection sticker like my car was really a hazard.
I suppose if I had something to hide I would be really nervous:yes. But waiting in long lines can aggravate my anxiety.

·
Registered
794 Posts
No - I feel very safe around the police, I love them being around and I only encountered one road block (accident) whilst I was driving.

·
Registered
14,599 Posts
Some years ago the US Supreme Court ruled that such checkpoints are legal. Apparently, they thought that driving on a road was probable cause to suspect you're intoxicated. After all, who drives sober!:mum
Personally, I am getting sick and tired of seeing people die or be critically injured, day after day. There has been so many accidents and drunk driving around here lately its stupid. Anyone who works in an ER for any length of time begins to get a bit militant about drunk driving I would think, I know I have.

Most of the time, someone like yourself Karl, would just be waved through such a checkpoint and they usually dont have them except around New Year's or some other drinking holiday. You say they dont even have them in your state so it doesnt even affect you.

I was caught up in one of these checkpoints during the holidays last year. You cannot turn around or turn off the road once you have the checkpoint in sight as they are waiting to pull people over for that (or so it seemed to me). Surprisingly, I had to talk to the cop and I was still in my scrubs from work. But as soon as they saw my scrubs and ID badge I was still wearing, they let me on through. It was a very minor pain in the *** but if one person was saved from being a trauma case in the ER that night, then it was worth it.

·
Banned
53 Posts
As an exposure and due to my general hate of police, I give every cop I see the middle finger. This even results in them pulling me over and giving me breathilizer tests( I don't even drink ) and me laughing or smiling at the cops face. Usually telling him to f off and I go on my way leaving him angry and my anxiety a little better.

·
Registered
26 Posts
not anymore - i've had to train myself to calm down because i noticed that some cops get suspicious when they see that you're nervous even if you act like the pope. This used to happen when I was younger and I'd order a alc. drink and be asked for my id - when i was calm they never asked but when i'd order the drink while nervous they always asked for the id - can't blame 'em.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts